Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SXL AWD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2016 SXL's auto headlights seem to work like so: they will come on when it's dark (say in the garage in the morning) but then they don't turn off when there is ample light. On all other cars I've had with auto headlights they will turn on and off as determined by ambient light. Basically, once they come on, they seem to stay on. Do I just have a faulty sensor or is this how they're designed?

Any other idiosyncracies on these I maybe haven't figured out yet? Did just learn about the weird auto defogging logic that has to be overrun in order to use the recirc button when needed.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,079 Posts
Are you saying that the headlights never turn off? Or just that the sensor doesn't respond to lower light levels as adequate when you don't think headlights should be needed? I do find that this vintage is pretty aggressive about turning on the lights, and there's no adjustment for it. It's a lot easier to fix when they turn off too quickly -- a little ND film (or just about anything that can simulate its lower transmissivity) over the sensor solves that quickly.

After leaving your garage, don't be surprised if the damping delay still leaves them on for 2?0 seconds or so (can't recall the exact time) after you get out into some real light. That delay/damping action is what keeps them from bopping on and off all the time in response to quick changes in ambient light.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts