Kia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
'22 Sorento SX-P, X-Line 2.5t, Wolf Gray
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure of the official name, but I am really getting to like this feature where the cruise control automatically adjusts to highway speed limits on certain roads - all interstates around where I live. I've watched it closely and it adjusts up or down (usually with 5 mph changes) within a split second of the actually speed limit change posted on the highway.

I guess this feature only benefits those that do not exceed interstate speed limits. I am one of those now, but I used to drive with a heavy foot and would usually find myself in the hammer lane keeping up with all the speeders. No more. Older age has found me wanting to have a much less stressful drive on hectic interstates, so most of the time now I am in the far-right lane unless I come up upon real slow drivers. PLUS, the cost of gas now is astronomical, so that by itself has slowed me down.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX AWD Gravity Gray 2012 Kia Sorento LX AWD 3.5V6 Dark Cherry
173 Posts
I'm with ya on getting older and mellower. I do like to go fast, but alas, can't afford it anymore.

The smart cruise is great for driving more sedately, except....I have at least one major gripe with it: when someone is approaching the expressway in the on-ramp, and the Sorento slams the brakes on; presumably to let them in. To me, the onus is on the merging traffic to adjust their speed to get onto the expressway, not the other way around. Big peeve of mine made worse by the "smart cruise" doing the opposite of what I'd normally do.:rolleyes:

You can also program an offset into the smart cruise (see attachment from OM). I have mine set for speed limit +5 mph. So, if it senses the posted limit is 70 for example, it'll automatically maintain 75.

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can also program an offset into the smart cruise (see attachment from OM). I have mine set for speed limit +5 mph. So, if it senses the posted limit is 70 for example, it'll automatically maintain 75.
Had no idea - thanks.
Will get this set for +5 in the morning.

Reactions: Snatchell

·
Registered
2022 Kia Sorento SX Prestige X-Line- Aruba Green
399 Posts
I drive with mine set to the speed limit. When I drive for work - I don't want a ticket - and MPGs are more important than MPH. :)

Reactions: Sloop John

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I drive with mine set to the speed limit. When I drive for work - I don't want a ticket - and MPGs are more important than MPH. :)
Just set mine up -- I compromised, set it to +3. Also enable "Speed Limit Assist". Interested in seeing if it works on regular roads, not just interstates.

Reactions: Mr. Wigglesworth

·
Registered
'22 Sorento SXP PHEV
7 Posts
It uses the forward-facing camera to adjust for temporary signage (construction) as well, in my experience, the variable speed limit signs found along the New Jersey Turnpike and portions of I-76 outside Philadelphia. It's another "pretty cool trick" to show off... Of course, it would be more impressive if the variable speed helped with flow on I-76, but that is another forum...

·
Registered
2022 Sorento PHEV SX Prestige, white with grey leather
10 Posts
Just set mine up -- I compromised, set it to +3. Also enable "Speed Limit Assist". Interested in seeing if it works on regular roads, not just interstates.
On regular roads, the speed limit sign will flash with the speed limit change. It will not automatically change, however, you will get a prompt on the display to increase or decrease your preset 3 mph or 5 mph increments by raising or lowering the toggle on the steering wheel to set your preset limits.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX AWD Gravity Gray 2012 Kia Sorento LX AWD 3.5V6 Dark Cherry
173 Posts
Can’t tell you how many times I tried to do the speed limit precisely when I was working, but then I would end up behind someone in the center lane driving slow, and have to pull into the left lane to get around them, but having to drive 85 so I’m not “that idiot” driving slow in the left lane. …and in the past, I’ve been the guy in the left lane driving 85 hating people for driving only 80 lol. Since retiring, it’s been easier to drive more conservatively (gas prices made it an imperative). If you want to really be laid back, the most carefree way is to set the cruise at 5 mph under the speed limit and drive in the center lane. You don’t have to keep going around slow pokes, but of course, you’re then “that idiot” driving slow. I really need my own interstate all to myself.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Sorento SX Prestige X-Line- Aruba Green
399 Posts
Can’t tell you how many times I tried to do the speed limit precisely when I was working, but then I would end up behind someone in the center lane driving slow, and have to pull into the left lane to get around them, but having to drive 85 so I’m not “that idiot” driving slow in the left lane. …and in the past, I’ve been the guy in the left lane driving 85 hating people for driving only 80 lol. Since retiring, it’s been easier to drive more conservatively (gas prices made it an imperative). If you want to really be laid back, the most carefree way is to set the cruise at 5 mph under the speed limit and drive in the center lane. You don’t have to keep going around slow pokes, but of course, you’re then “that idiot” driving slow. I really need my own interstate all to myself.
I do sometimes drive 5 under in the center lane or right lane. It’s nice and carefree. Better mpgs and never having to slow down. Just lay a couple of fingers on the wheel and the car drives itself. 😊

·
Registered
2021 kia Sorento sx prestige xLine Aruba Green black interior. With smart mirror.
84 Posts
I'm with ya on getting older and mellower. I do like to go fast, but alas, can't afford it anymore.

The smart cruise is great for driving more sedately, except....I have at least one major gripe with it: when someone is approaching the expressway in the on-ramp, and the Sorento slams the brakes on; presumably to let them in. To me, the onus is on the merging traffic to adjust their speed to get onto the expressway, not the other way around. Big peeve of mine made worse by the "smart cruise" doing the opposite of what I'd normally do.:rolleyes:

I drive the interstates fo thousands of miles with Smart cruse on and never has oncoming ramp traffic slow me down. Only adjust speed when car infrastructure is fully in my lane.
Your radar unit may need adjustment.

·
Registered
2023 Kia Sportage Hybrid EX
144 Posts

We had very scenario happen to us on the way home from the dealer. However, we did not have cruise control set. I pushed down on the accelerator and that 1.6L turbo got us around that merging vehicle with ease. I was impressed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts