Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when I select auto on the ac the fan speed goes to the lowest speed. The ac works good and cold but I always have to adj the fan speed whick take it out of the auto set. Kenny

·
Premium Member
1,770 Posts
when I select auto on the ac the fan speed goes to the lowest speed. The ac works good and cold but I always have to adj the fan speed whick take it out of the auto set. Kenny
Lower the Temp. setpoint and it will speed up......

·
Registered
929 Posts
Its because it deems excess fan speed unnecessary to cool the interior of the car.
This lowers noise and draft; thus increasing occupant comfort.

If you want it to blow air at you, set it to "HI" or "LO"; sit back and enjoy the blast. :D

·
Registered
156 Posts
Its because it deems excess fan speed unnecessary to cool the interior of the car.
This lowers noise and draft; thus increasing occupant comfort.

If you want it to blow air at you, set it to "HI" or "LO"; sit back and enjoy the blast. :D
Or it means his climate control sensor is bad. If he turns it on without touching the fan speed and lowers the temp setting only and it still goes to the lowest speed then that's the problem. That was the symptom that my car exhibited and the sensor had to be replaced by the dealership. The only way I can get my Climate control to work now is to turn off the system completely after I start the car then hit the Climate control button from the start. I can't have the A/C or heat going and hit the button. I have to have the entire HVAC off then hit the Climate Control button. After having the sensor on my car replaced I found that it still didn't work a few weeks later when we were on a trip. I hadn't driven the car for awhile since it is my wife's car and discovered that I had to take the above steps. This isn't ideal since the Mountaineer I traded for the Soento and my current Ford Fusion climate control could and can be set at anytime without any specific steps.

Of course, he can't touch the fan speed while in Climate Control Mode as this disables the fuction.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have experienced a similar problem and I think the cause is not a Defective Sensor, it's a Cheap sensor.

I never had any problem with the auto setting until last week. It was above 30 degree Celsius and no cloud in the sky. My truck had been sitting under the sun for a good 4 hours when I got back in. Started the car and even though the cabin temperature was well above 22 Celsius, the fan speed stayed at 1.

My hypothesis is that if the sensor "over heat", it gives bad reading and the Auto setting does not work properly. Since the sensor is positioned just under the front windshield, it is badly placed and will always, if left under the sun, over heat. On top of all, the sensor is black...

Since I always commute from a garage to another, I never experienced this problem before.

Hopefully, kia release a TSB to replace the sensor with a better one.

·
Registered
156 Posts
From my understanding the sensor is located between the heated seat buttons below the climate control area. Not above the dash. There is a small vent about 1 inch across. I do not believe the heat has anything to do with it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had the same problem.. They changed the Control module for the Enviro unit and it fixed the problem for a couple of days. Second trip in they replaced a thermostat for the enviro unit and all has been good since.

Slight side not on this. They managed to scratch, scuff and dent the center console pretty good during the process of taking it apart. Dealer was pretty defensive about it telling me that "cars are built pretty tight these days and hard to get apart"... A few terse words and they put in a new center console...

Mike

·
Registered
136 Posts
Maybe it's a 2012 model, but my auto climate control is independent of the fan speed. For e.g these few days were very hot at 30+ degrees celcius. When I set my auto climate at 18 degrees, I can still adjust my fan speed higher or lower and the temp stays the same.
My previous Chevy was different though. The fan speed adjusted according to the auto climate temp I set at.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Maybe it's a 2012 model, but my auto climate control is independent of the fan speed. For e.g these few days were very hot at 30+ degrees celcius. When I set my auto climate at 18 degrees, I can still adjust my fan speed higher or lower and the temp stays the same.
My previous Chevy was different though. The fan speed adjusted according to the auto climate temp I set at.
If you touch anything bar the temperature in the 2011, it will turn the climate control off.

·
Registered
929 Posts
If you touch anything bar the temperature in the 2011, it will turn the climate control off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Service had to reprogram the computer had an error, I lost my radio station after they disconnected the battery mainsheet

·
Registered
7 Posts
2012 Optima Hybrid climate control air conditioner. I had a similar issue to some of you. I recently noticed that in auto mode the fan speed never went above the low setting but I could manually override the fan with fan speed switch. Because my vehicle was out of warranty by a couple weeks, I hit the message boards. I tried the suggested fixes, none of which worked. Then I remembered that someone had mentioned the fan speed drop when Bluetooth kicks in. I have plenty of issues with my Bluetooth so I thought this could be something. I did the radio reset by holding the AM/FM and Map buttons for 10 – 15 seconds. The radio reset and now the climate control works perfectly again. Keep in mind you will lose all your radio preset info when doing this. Curious if this will work for anyone else out there. It sucks that the dealership is replacing control units and temp sensors at a significant cost when there is a quick fix.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've had this problem. Disconnecting the battery will usually fix it. I've never found pulling any combination of fuses to do anything.

However, this last time even pulling the battery didn't help, so I'm now proceeding to replace the control unit

·
Registered
661 Posts
This is an old thread. You should start a new thread or at least restate/summarize your issues.

If you read the tips/features thread, there is a description of some functionality for the auto climate control.

If you touch anything when it is in auto mode, that function will no longer be controlled by the "auto" logic. So, for example, if you change the fan speed while in auto, all functions like AC, air flow direction, etc. will remain under auto logic control except for the fan speed. The word "auto" goes off though.

Is that what's happening to you or is it something else?

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is an old thread. You should start a new thread or at least restate/summarize your issues.

If you read the tips/features thread, there is a description of some functionality for the auto climate control.

If you touch anything when it is in auto mode, that function will no longer be controlled by the "auto" logic. So, for example, if you change the fan speed while in auto, all functions like AC, air flow direction, etc. will remain under auto logic control except for the fan speed. The word "auto" goes off though.

Is that what's happening to you or is it something else?
No the issue is when you press Auto it immediately turns off the fan.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
11 Participants
phareous
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing