Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2007 Sedona, AKA Hyundai Entourage
48,000 miles

This week A/C compressor field coil died, so I have A/C system turned OFF.
(Field coil, the part that energizes the A/C clutch is pulling 9.96 amps- on a 7.5 amp fuse)
Blown fuse left as-is -

Car has AUTO CLIMATE CONTROL (Digital Monochrome panel)

2012-07-27_-_ IGN Switch OFF, No power to anything.JPG 2012-07-27_-_ IGN Switch OFF, No power to anything
2012-07-27_-_ IGN Switch ON, AC-Manual, Front AC only, Recirculate Button lit.JPG 2012-07-27_-_ IGN Switch ON, AC-Manual, Front AC only, Recirculate Button lit

Q: Is it normal for panel to display the icon representing a chair/person that shows which vents air is set to come out under it with the word "REAR" ... when it is TURNED OFF?

(The recirculate /fresh air button -whichever was depressed last remains lit with the system TURN OFF as well)

2012-07-27_-_ IGN Switch ON, System OFF_Fresh Air button lit.JPG 2012-07-27_-_ IGN Switch ON, System OFF_Fresh Air button lit

Shouldn't the panel be totally BLANK, buttons NOT lit when system is turned OFF ? :confused:

PS: Dealer ran battery totally dead, then jumped car off recently.
Dealer also did a FAST instead of a slow charge, maybe setting it on boost/high current output..

Wondering if something got "fried", or if this behavior is normal.

NOTE: I am not primary driver of car, A/C is normally always ON and primary driver (80yrs old) cannot remember if panel should blank out when off.

TAGS: Kia Sedona 2006-2012
AKA: Kia Carnival
Hyundai Entourage 2007-2008 rebadged Kia Sedona 2rd gen generation
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 , 2010, 2011, 2012
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kia_Sedona
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Entourage

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,412 Posts
The recirc/fresh air button will be lit when the system is off, as it is still functional. This is normal.

I'm not sure about the mode display, but I think that is normal as well. I think is shows whatever position is was in last.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The recirc/fresh air button will be lit when the system is off, as it is still functional. This is normal.

I'm not sure about the mode display, but I think that is normal as well. I think is shows whatever position is was in last.
Q: Got to ask, do you work at a dealership /shop?

It would be greatly appreciated if you verify as this "item" is one but a long laundry list of items I've trying to get resolved.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PS: Tried putting the system into diagnostic mode, IGN switch ON, Press OFF more than (4) times within (2) seconds, while holding AUTO button.
It's supposed to test the panel, illuminate all icons, then go into diagnostic mode....

Didn't go into diagnostic mode. I'm wondering if this is due to no code stored, or I'm doing it wrong.

Tried it with car OFF, and with Key turned ON, and with car running.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well guys and gals.

Dealer ran battery totally dead, then jumped car off recently.
Dealer also did a FAST instead of a slow charge, maybe setting it on boost/high current output..

Hence I was concerned that something in A/C system may have gotten "fried" during the process.

I was concerned that the word REAR under the controller was indicating a failure of some type- either from dealer jumping off car, etc OR from water leaks (damaging the rear A/C controller in some way) the same "dealer" has been unable to bring a resolution to- Water leaks being reported to dealer for the past 3yrs.
(This same dealer breaking the windshield TWICE within the past three years, this go around about a month ago now dealer trying to say broken windshield was due to a "rock chip" when in fact the impact point on the windshield was UNDER the plastic cowling at bottom of windshield that has to come off when accessing the strut insulator nuts. They had changed out a strut- that cowling has to come off. I will bet money they use a air ratchet to break the nuts loose and it got away from them... "Crack goes the windshield.)
PS: I found the water leak in less than 5mins.

Getting back to A/C problem:
Problem? Glad to say system operating normally.
When system is turned OFF, a ICON representing a "Seated person", or chair is present... along with arrows, other symbols showing last "state' system was in- so far as were the vents where positioned.

The word "REAR" appears when the big knob to the extreme right which controls air-flow,A/C to rear of car- is set all the way counter clockwise. (LOL)

Seems that the person(s) that designed the knob is unaware of how people expect "knobs" to operate.

EG:
Turning a knob CLOCKWISE increases (what ever is being controlled)
Turning a knob COUNTERCLOCKWISE=decreases (what ever is being controlled)

Turning a knob FULLY COUNTERCLOCKWISE = turns item OFF.

Seems like designer missed that class. They added a "R" to the extreme counterclockwise position... the OFF position is CLOCKWISE by (1) click.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts