Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!! :00000732:
Anyone who is reading this with thoughts to buying a Kia Carnival in Australia i have one piece of advice - don't buy one!!! I've just got rid of mine only 2 year old with 16,000km and it was a really bad vehicle. Nothing but problems and Kia Australia have really bad customer service - they also try and wiggle out of warranty repairs and ignore obvious problems with your vehicle. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!! I am seriously thinking of contacting TOday TOnight or Current Affair to get them to warn all Australians not to waste their money!!!! It's a worry to find out that Kia holds 50% of Australian market for people mover sales. There'll be a lot of dissapointed people out there sooner or later. I've just bought a Mitsubishi Grandis and it is 100% better than Carnival. You only have to look through the forums to see all the trouble people are having. I have been extremely dissappointed with Kia Australia they are not a good company and totally unfair to customers.

Anyone else have any horror stories from Kia?? Please add them here to warn other potential buyers!!!

Bore

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sedona 2.9 CRDi SE & 2004 Accord 2.2I-CDTI Exec
278 Posts
Bore,
Your post comes over as a sweeping generalisation that KIA are crap.

I don't entirely agree that they are completely crap, but considering they have come from nowhere in automotive terms, I think they will go from strength to strength.

All I have concluded from watching this forum over the last few months is that the bigger problems are in the infrastructure / dealerships. Sure they make cars that have the odd flaw, but the big brands like Ford & GM have been doing that for decades.

My opinion is that they are going through corporate 'growing pains' but I'm sure their quality/service will improve whilst their price levels will hold firm.

Compare a Toyota / Nissan / Honda to a Ford/GM car in the 70s/80s and you'd stick with a Western car no worries. It won't be too long before Korean cars elevate qualitywise to Jap cars. They have the ambition and they will suceed. I'm happy to put up with the niggles of my Sedona because when alls said and done...it did not cost me much

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hello Bore.

I disagree with Ebod in parts of his reply, I don't think you make sweeping generalisation that KIA are crap.

You state Aussi Carnivals are crap and they are, or at least the Rover engine as fitted to your van is.

Do a search on this forum and others and you'll find brothers in arms from your neck of the woods.

I just wish you Aussis would stop p*ssing about, get together bring a class action
against Kia Australia and get the matters resolved, tell Kia enough is a
flamin 'nuff.

As for the rest of Ebod's thread it's fair comment altho I think many would agree that " corporate 'growing pains' " don't mean a toss to to the many dissatisfied Aussi Carnival owners.
seacam

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sedona 2.9 CRDi SE & 2004 Accord 2.2I-CDTI Exec
278 Posts
Seacam, I was not aware of the posts regaridng the Guinea Pig versions of the Rover KV6 engines being sold to KIA.

Still sounds to me like the class action should be taken against Rover....but I recall they are skint!!

I notice on these engine posts the rumours about the 2.9 diesel being a Merc lump., but Murphwiz quashed that one and reckoned it was a mazda lump.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hello Ebod,

Nice thought but as you say there skint. ;)

Was it the Chinease or Korians that bought them, I can't remember?

It was Murphwiz that cut through the chase on the Merc' subject for me as well.

Bowing to his expertise on these matters he told me to look under the hood and see if I could see anything with Merc' on it, of course nothing.

I've used Murphwiz knowlege on this subject to my own advantage, infact I got into a huge slaging match on ebay on this very subject, with gentle persuation I brought the sellers around.

Interestlingly I have seen quite a few forum threads on the Mazda connection so there must be something in it exspecialy with the early petrol Sedonas.

I'm not sure if Murphwiz said the diesel was a Mazda lump,maybe.
seacam

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry to hear that you have had such troubles with your Carnival. Mine is a 2005 model with about 18,000ks and I can say that the experience with the Dealer (Keystar Kia, Morayfield, north of Brisbane) has been nothing but bliss.
I've had a couple of posts about my vehicle (missing coolant, 15,000k service report) and when I've made a claim for the radio/CD unit and the washer bottle, they arrived at the Dealers in a matter of days...fitted in a couple of hours and not one problem.
As for the mysterious coolant leak, I'm in the process of getting a new engine. "We can't find the leak and we don't want a repeat of the earlier Carnivals, so we'll give you a new engine".
No doubt it's a "long block" (head, crankcase, they re-use everything else). Keystar Kia have supplied a replacement vehicle (2005 Carnival) and I can't be happier...nothing is too much trouble.
I'm not that naive as to think that this car is perfect, only time will tell, but to date, I can't complain about the car or the Dealer.

·
Registered
'09 Kia Carnival, '10 Kia Grand Carnival
243 Posts
Crossing Fingers & Touching Wood. We have the '05 model & all the advice we could find (NOT from Kia) was that they'd fixed the motor with our model. That, the 100 000 km/3 yr/Roadside Assist/Replacement Vehicle Warranty, the manual gearbox & not least the free DVD player convinced us to buy. So far, we (especially the kids) love it. That said, some friends of ours have an '03, bought new, which I've only ever seen being driven VERY hard, so we'll keep an eye on both & keep you "posted"! :p

·
Registered
12 Posts
Honda Australia CEO Lindsay Smalley on why he didn't consider the Kia Carnival to be a rival to the Honda Odyssey -
It is such a poor representation of a motor vehicle.
He withdrew the comment later after being contacted by Kia Aust lawyers.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Carnival
4 Posts
i have had my 05 carnival for a little over 6 months. i think i got what i paid for in relation to the vehicle, but the after sales service and kia australias treatment of customers is horrific. as is the cost of parts. we had the car back for repairs and off the road 9 times. mostly due to the DVD player, but also the battery, hand brake and doors did not work. they had the car for full days each time and every time the TOYOTA (?) courtesy cars were all booked out. one time i stayed at the service centre and the treatment of ALL their customers left a lot to be desired.
i talked my father out of buying a new kia purely on the basis of customer treatment. SHAME on kia australia, SHAME.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The presentation of anything, including cars comes back to it's owners. If it looked like poop, it's been treated like poop. Maybe that Carnival had BEEN a bus? When we were choosing our Carnival we test-drove several contenders, including a 5 yo (Auto) Honda Odyssey, a 1 yo (Manual) Jackaroo, a 1 yo (Auto) Carnival, a 3 yo (Manual) Carnival & of course a new (Manual) Carnival. They all looked great, because they'd been professionally DETAILED. The Honda was 1st eliminated, because of poor performance, visibilty & incredible interior noise. You could hear every beat of that engine, I was astounded. The 3 yo Carnival was next out as it felt loose & thrashed. 3rd out was the Jackaroo purely for fuel economy & tyre cost reasons. Last out was the 1 yo LE Carnival as it was only $1000 cheaper than a new one, had no DVD & the dealer was offering $2000 less trade on our Falcon than the Kia Dealer across the road! Which made a new Canival a Shoo-in, at effectively $1000 CHEAPER than a used one with full warranty & a DVD player thrown in. The irony is that a bit later that Dealer had the 1 yo LE Carnival REDUCED by $6000, so he could easily have got our sale had he not been greedy! :grin:

Our Carnival is now 6 months old, 10 000 km & apart from a temperamental DVD & a very occasional strut thump, it's been great. Our Service Dept., likewise has also been great. TOUCH WOOD, it all stays that way.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hello Esses,

2/3 year old burnt/discoloured Kia dashboards don't make for good presentation and that's not the owners fault.

I'm glad your enjoying your Carnival, that's how it should be.

But you only have to read the appalling experiance of other Aussi' Carnival owners
as dished out by Kia Australia, the indifference shown by SOME service centres.

As I have already written, " it's not the van, tho' it has its own peculiarities it's the service personal, they do not understand the engine, the support is not there.

Of course there are good and bad but you only have to read the posts on this forum and others to see there are real problems with the engines as fitted to the Aussi Carnivals, mix that with mechanics who haven't a clue how to resolve matters and your left in the mire with out a paddle.

You have a new Carnival, more then likely issues have been resolved.

I hope you have a good service centre because that's all it needs and that your Carnival motoring experiance is good, other Aussi owners have not been so fortunate.
Seacam

·
Registered
243 Posts
Originally posted by seacam@Jan 12 2006, 04:35 AM
Hello Esses,

2/3 year old burnt/discoloured Kia dashboards don't make for good presentation and that's not the owners fault.

I'm glad your enjoying your Carnival, that's how it should be.

But you only have to read the appalling experiance of other Aussi' Carnival owners
as dished out by Kia Australia, the indifference shown by SOME service centres.

As I have already written, " it's not the van, tho' it has its own peculiarities it's the service personal, they do not understand the engine, the support is not there.

Of course there are good and bad but you only have to read the posts on this forum and others to see there are real problems with the engines as fitted to the Aussi Carnivals, mix that with mechanics who haven't a clue how to resolve matters and your left in the mire with out a paddle.

You have a new Carnival, more then likely issues have been resolved.

I hope you have a good service centre because that's all it needs and that your Carnival motoring experiance is good, other Aussi owners have not been so fortunate.
Seacam

Seacam, I agree with all that you say & I'm not here to fight with anyone but a little positive balance doesn't hurt either. As I said, we did research very carefully before buying. $30 000-00 of our money is quite a bit & we didn't want a lemon, of course. All the indications were that Kia had FINALLY cured the liner woes with the '04/'05 models. I sincerely hope so & I really feel for other sufferers having been in that boat with a new Suzuki, of all things. We DO have a so far minor version of the strup-thump - it comes & goes. Otherwise, extremely happy.
Oh, BTW. Where were the discoloured dashes? There or down here? Here, with our long, hot summers, faded & cracked dashes used to be commonplace. Dash mats, windscreen covers & better plastics have largely solved the problem.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Carnival
4 Posts
Hey ESSES,
please tell me more about your DVD player.
mine never worked from day one. my wife collected the car from the dealer and was told the DVD disc goes into the audio cd player by the salesman, needless to say this gave her no joy, neither did the fact that it still did not work when the disc went into the dvd player, we returned the vehicle and it was off the road for a full day, it turns out the AV cables were not plugged into the back of the unit. no sorry, no compassion for the customer and no one for them to blame.
it worked fine for a week then we lost all audio. off the road for another full day, only to be told they had no intention of fixing it but they had ordered a new repacement unit. so they had the car for 8 hours just to check the player did not work. in it went for another full day to have the new unit installed. this one lasted 2 weeks then just froze. unit did not respond to anything. back in for another full day to make sure we were not just making it up. they ordered unit #3. back in for another day of installation. i had a dvd in the car for them to check the thing worked. upon collection they said my disc was no good and would not play but the unit was working fine with other dvd's the mechanic had. i was so wrong to take their word for it. it turns out the new unit was not region 4 (australasia) and would not play comercial dvd's. when we rang them they did not beleive us and asked us to bring in the dvd it would not play. i tried to explain the the unit would show the area code error message when a disc was inserted but they still needed the car for evaluation before they would order a new unit. i took in a pile of movies 2 feet high about 60 of them and asked for them all to be tried. they finally got the thing going. this was a couple of moths ago and we have started to experience problems again. freezing picture and wrong audio track being played. also it is really fussy with dirty or scratched discs that play fine in other players.
so far this "free" DVD player has cost me many hundreds of dollars!!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Nothing like that with ours. First drama was the infra-red "sound-sender" played up. They say that was actually a result of a fault in the screen. So new screen #1. Next the screen did actually die - intermittently. Just go black instead of playing the disc. So new screen # 2. This one has done the same thing a couple of times so new screen # 3 & the Service Dept. is a little confused as to whether they were supposed to fit screen # 3 or a whole new player! So this one is OK so far & there IS a whole new player on order for us. I'm Transport & my Wife used to be in Appliance Repairs & Ordering so she tells ANY Service Dude not to BS her, get the parts Overnight (via Hubby if necessary) & she'll stand there & watch them fit it!
It's only a quick job to remove & replace the screen or player & they've done it while she's waited. Thing is, when it works (most of the time) it's utter magic. 3 kids, silence (except for laughter, dialogue & sound-effects) & NO fights. Even overnight to Queensland & back! I kid you not! :57:

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hello Esses,

The affected cars seem to be the Kia Sephia not the Sedona/Carnivals but I knew that.

The point I was making was a scruff is a scruff no matter what you do about presentation.

You are of coarse right about balance and your not in a fight, you express your views and experience as you see them, pray let that continue, for the most part I won't kid glove around either.

It appears to me, across the board that Kia customer service is sadly lacking no more so then Kia Australia.

Don't get me wrong Kia UK are not top of my Christmas list either but they do seem to be more approachable.

Having said that look at Pepper's UK thread about "first service" and his experience.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-out- flamin'-rageous.

Look at Deanbla and his DVD, a relatively simple problem, nothing that a swap model/brand wouldn't fix under his Kia warranty or that of the unit but so far it's cost him hundreds of $ in time, no results and a barn full of indifference .

I don't know Esses, like thousands of others, my mane ruffles when I think fair play is not to hand.

That coupled with the Leo in me.
seacam

·
Registered
243 Posts
Seacam. Agree & I HAVE had run-ins with this particular Dealer in the past on other cars. Just that this time so far it's been OK. Time will tell.

The only negative has been the puchase of our second Kia, the Rio. When we bought the Carni. we had an '89 Corolla as a 2nd car. I'd done a lot of cosmetic fixing but things like the totally perished & dis-integrating plastics (everthing BUT the dash) were beyond me & at over 200 000 km it suffered badly in comparison to the Carnival. So back we went to the same dealer, same Salesman & bought a Kia sedan. We did research every small car on the market & the nearest contender was it's cousin the Hyundai Getz (same Dealer!) but with only 2 passenger doors, getting the kids in & out was a right pain, so we ended up with a red Demonstrator Rio sedan. Wanted the 5-door but was a little short on $. The car itself has been great - love it. (My brother also had the 1st model Rio here a few years ago & loved it). But when we turned up to collect the car (they'd had 3 days to prep. it) it was: unwashed, dirty inside & out, dirty glass, ONE key & NO remote beepers! The Salesy wasn't even there to finish off the deal. Wifey spent most of the next day getting things replaced & fixed.
I wrote a blistering letter to the Dealer comparing the Royal treatment we got with the Carni. & the Paupers dishing with the Rio. Lo & behold, a nice letter back & a free 15 000 km service. That's coming up soon too. :57:

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hello Esses,

Gosh you did do well, an 89 Corola with 200,000 km.

The Carnival is an ok choice as long as they have resolved the main issue, that of the engine and you have good customer service support.

Infact I'm not sure now, does the 04/05 engines have linners any more.

I think the 2.5 Carnival is a little underpowered, for such a large vehicle, but that's a personal oppion and I'm told it's thirsty.

I didn't buy new simply because I couldn't be arsed with the servicing stops and mine's an 02 auto' diesel, a first for me, diesel that is.

Like you I'm still enjoying mine, I don't think I'll ever be able to convert back to something smaller, the space is just great and living in central London the auto' box is a blessing.

The diesel is noisy and the turning circle, well that somfin' else all together.

My main gripe with my Sedona is the colour,---green eugh----any colour but that or white but it was such a stonking good price, a few days out of waranty and I paid £8000 with low milage, what was it, er, 25,000 on the clock I think..

Like Clartsonly I feel a little amprehensive about the next service, but we will see.
seacam

1 - 20 of 55 Posts