Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Im new to this forum so pardon the ignorance of kia details. I would like to get real world exp on the 2lt diesel and 2.4ltr petrol.

I am thinking of purchasing a Kia Sportage (2013) model and would like peoples experience of the following points or whatever you would like to add.

* when is the Australian 2014 model arriving? Any time soon??(currently June) and what is the future rumoured enhancement expected??
* Any problems with warranty in Australia(what issues/details)
* best model for the platinum range? Diesel or 2.4 petrol performance (i test drove diesel and liked it!)
* tyre wear experienced?
* any user modifications worthy of looking at?
* actual fuel burn
* price you negotiated?
* any cool pics of your platinum would be cool too.

Thank!

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I've had a Platinum Diesel for the last 2 years and am happy to answer a couple of questions.
Warranty: Only issue I've had is replacement of the fan blower motor TWICE due to the 'squealing' sound that many people have experienced. No issue to replace it however.
Tyre wear: Got 60 000Km out of standard Hankook Ventus tyres. These stock tyres are RUBBISH!! - very noisy/poor grip etc. Have replaced with Cooper CS4 - MUCH better. Our usual use of the car is pretty easy on tyres though due to our geography. Bear in mind the car is pretty savage on brake pads and rotors though - I've had the rotors and pads replaced already at 45 000Km. [The wife is pretty heavy on the anchors ;) ]
Modifications: I can recommend - a DECENT HID kit for the low beams [genuine Philips H7 kit can be had for <$250], replacement horn - a MUST DO DIY & a ChipExpress tuning box. This is a simple DIY & despite what you may hear from the sceptics I have dynoed my vehicle with this box & have seen the the improvements in power/torque (so much so the wife hates it when I remove it for servicing) and fuel economy. We have paid for the cost of the box with our mileage & fuel consumption improvements so it's been worthwhile. No problems in over 65000Km.
Another modification recommended is dealer fitted running/side boards - they really improve the look of the vehicle.
I also did a DIY to replace the pathetic boot light with twin LED clusters - WAYYYYY better lighting in the trunk.
Actual fuel consumption: (Average over 65 000Km - commute to work 7.3L/100Km, highway ~6L/100Km. We've never seen above 9L/100Km!)
Price was approx $36K back in 2011 - not much negotiation as they had just been released.

Hope this info is useful :)

Attachments

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Sorry that I can't compare them for you, but I have test-driven the 2.4 petrol and found it only just adequate for city/highway driving. It actually felt like a "big" Cerato (engine is from the same family). From what I hear, the diesel is a better choice. When I was looking a couple of years ago, the diesel was in short supply, due to good sales.

If you are doing 4WD, it would be a good idea to investigate the details of the design. The dealer was a bit vague about how it worked. It doesn't seem to be very sophisticated (no centre diff?).

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
It's a no-brainer is Australia; the diesel is light years ahead of the petrol in driveability, performance and fuel consumption. The only downside is that it's a noisy bugger.

·
Registered
Kia 2015 Sportage Platinum diesel and 2013 Rio 3 door SLS
595 Posts
Can't give you any personal comparison on petrol v diesel, as I initially test drove a diesel Hyundai i35 and was rapt in the grunt. Nearly ordered one - had the color picked out and all. Then a friend bought a run-out (old model) Sportage and I was impressed with what she got for the money and went to have a look.
Loved the "different" looks to the new Sportage, arranged a test drive of their one and only diesel Platinum and added over 200 km on it. When I returned it the salesman was a little miffed at the time/km I had the car for. This was the only diesel they had and didn't want to part with it initially. I was happy walking out the door and look elsewhere (already had a heritage blue lined up!) and ended up getting my white one (that I test drove) at demonstrator price. Considering 200 of the 400-odd km on it were mine, I didn't have a problem with buying it.
It does everything I want it to. I don't do serious 4WD, but have taken it off the bitumen and it handles it well apart from a little dust sealing issues around the back doors (gets in past the outer seal), handles the highway extremely well - we both have iffy backs and the seats are really comfortable for long hauls, and with the few warranty issues I have had there has never been any questions or negatives, just fixed asap. Feel I have built up a good relationship with my service manager and he is looking after 2 Kias for us now (wife loves her new Rio SLS).
Does it have everything - no. What it doesn't have is probably pretty freely available now on the internet and I have used it to procure some parts - be careful, there's plenty of crap out there that doesn't work/fit/look good or suit our models.
Compare what else there is available in this size and price range and I think you will keep coming back to the Sportage. You could spend over twice the money and pick up an Audi Q5, BMW or LR Evoke . . . but why would you!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for your posts.
Wow 200km! I dont feel so bad putting 10km on the ix35 and the sportage.

Infact i found them very similar in performance but must admit i like the sportage look much better and feel its a fraction better feel in the drive.

I have got an initial price for 2ltr diesel platinum with a nudge bar, tow-bar, metallic paint, and the initial quote was 48k!
Not sure how much they will negotiate but that was unexpected :eek:
Mind you this is the first brand new car i have purchased.

Still have to narrow down black or silver :)

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
$48k seems a lot; did it include actual Platinum? I think the petrol SLi that I looked at was about $35k.

·
Registered
595 Posts
$48k is probably too much - check on-line (carsales, carsguide, etc.) to give you some idea. However . . . they are still in short(ish) supply and Kia dealers are milking that fact. What state you in?
Mind you - nudge bar and tow bar fitted will add nearly $2k just there!

Shop around and if you are serious about buying, they will be serious about getting your business - more so now, trying to make end of financial year sales figures! Good luck.

Black - hard to keep clean! Silver - I personally prefer the Mineral silver - light silver doesn't really suit it as well. In the end, color choice is yours, unless they do a deal on the one sitting in the yard. :)

·
Registered
Car: 2016 Sportage 2.0 Petrol (Aussie)...Bike: Suzuki GSF1250S Bandit with sidecar
268 Posts
I believe I bought the first Sportage Platinum turbo diesel in Canberra back in Oct 2010, virtually zero miles on it.

$48k for the ticket price of a demo does seem a bit high. In comparison we paid $47,800 on the road with 12 months rego and comp insurance - actual ticket price was $44,500. That's about an 8% increase over the last three years, who knows, that might be right ?

Extras that I've had fitted since include a louder Stebel horn, LED spotties, nudge bar (EGR model $300), Whisper roof racks ($329) and Hymen Reece towbar (rated at 1500kg and includes the $200 ECU module all up fitted was $950).

We've been more than happy with it, I like it better than the Ford G6ET I had as a work car, not as much power as the Ford turbo six of course, but much more versatile.

No real problems other than those mentioned here that were changed under warranty - internal fan and brake switch. Kia dealers in Canberra and Launceston have been great, the Launceston chap keeps offering to buy ours everytime it is in for a service - I think he justs wants to move the Sorrento's they have piled up.

Milage is good, don't have any figures as we do a bit of towing (8x5 trailer that is either carring our 4 English Mastiffs or my sidecar motorbike).

Sorry, she's a bit grubby, needs a bath.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
yeah agreed,black is hard to keep clean but geez it looks good ;)

Judging by the accessories price on the kia website, they sure do have some serious fitting charges going on!

The 48k was an initial rrp. They are calling me today with a cash price. But you guys are right, the accessories knock it up a couple thousand for sure!

With the side step options, which is more value and practical, the integrated step or the aluminum steps?

With regards to aftermarket parts such as headlamp protectors, tow balls, rails, etc, is there any particular online store or shop that is pretty good? Or do you guys recommend just getting it from the official kia list?

Sorry, im a bit of a newbie with new cars and stuff as I've always owned pre-loved-buckets!

Thanks again for the tips!

·
Registered
Car: 2016 Sportage 2.0 Petrol (Aussie)...Bike: Suzuki GSF1250S Bandit with sidecar
268 Posts
There are not too many dealer accessories that are cheaper than aftermarket, and don't let the "voids warranty" scare mongering deter you, if anything goes wrong with the car they need to prove the accessory was the cause of any faults.

The Hayman Reece hitch - the proper removable square tube style fitting cost $520, ECU box $200, fitting $180 from most towbar shops. Dealer price is $820 for the bolt on bar, plus 3 1/2hrs fitting, not sure about the ECU.

KIA roof rack for the Platinum is $395, most Roof Rack shops, BCF, or 4WD shops, sell Whisper kits for $329.

I picked up my nudge bar for $300 delivered from an eBay seller in Qld, Dealer price $720. I fitted this myself - had to remove the front bumper/apron which at first seems pretty daunting but in reality was not that difficult.

I think its best to shop arround, get some good prices from reputable stores, then go back to the dealer, they might come to the party and match them if you're lucky.

I haven't gone with the side steps, I heard they are more of a nusiance than what they're worth (delaer price $802 plus fitting). I am looking at a quad HID Bi-xenon projector headlight arrangement, summing up the courage to ask the missus about pulling the car apart again as well as the dosh to pay for them. I have HID kits for all three lights (lo - H11B 35w 6000k , hi H7 75w 6000k, and fog 881 55w 6000k) but I don't think I will just do the bulb replacement like I initially thought having read up on how much the HID's splash light in the standard halogen fittings.

Good luck with your dealer, remember you hold the upper hand.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Start with the simple . . . eBay for an idea of what parts are out there. Then do a heap of research about the parts you want.
Some of what you want you can be happy shopping at your local SuperCheapAuto, or similar. Sportage specific parts I have had some success with eBay. There's plenty of running boards available on eBay, but I got confused by the crap I was being fed and in the paid the big bucks and got the Kia integrated ones fitted. Cost a bit more, but worth it. I don't really fancy the tube type - the mud and gunk off the road is still going to get all over the side of your car regardless of the type you choose.
When shopping on the net make sure you are buying right hand drive specific - a lot of it is for left tillers.
Ask for trade price at the Kia dealer you are going through (before you sign). I got my boards and a bit of other stuff that way. Insist they throw in mats and dash mat, or door visors. Get what you can. If they really want the big bucks, they are going to come the party with the small dollars.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Ours was $38K (brand new) two years ago with running boards & tow bar dealer fitted. $48K is ridiculous. Don't let them con you into >$70 for the OEM iPod/iPhone adapter either - you can get them on EBay for ~$20 delivered.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Deal!?

Well, its a done deal :)

Seems not to bad price but I will let you guys be the judge of that! :)

I got the following

2.0 diesel platinum
Premium paint - black
Premium plates
Nudge bar
Tow-bar
Integrated aluminium side steps
Slim line weather shields
Floor mats
bonnet protector

Drive-away for 44.8k

Ill see if they will throw in a cargo mat tomorrow when i go to sign the dotted line, but i think the chances of that are slim!
I know that some other dealers were chasing me for 44k but I guess i chose to keep the business local.

EDIT: add headlamp protectors and cargo mat.

Now comes the wait so i can start to mod it :)

·
Registered
595 Posts
With all that (factory Kia) gear added it is closer to the mark. Well done - sure you will be happy with it. Don't forget to show it off on here when you pick.

So you already have factory bluetooth, gps, elec. folding mirrors, etc?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pretty sure that its got all that (Bluetooth,gps, nav-pack+7"display) with the 2013 Platinum.
Well it says on the spec-sheet its standard.
Yes,will do for the pics!
No just gotta wait for the chipexpress part to arrive and then to break her in gently :)

Thanks again for the advice everyone

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Tip: If you want your engine to dish out maximum performance, DON'T break her in gently. Drive it like you stole it for the first 1000Km. Most important thing is to vary the revs all the time; avoid constant rpm at all costs - your engine will thank you for it!

·
Registered
595 Posts
I look forward to hearing your success and/or comments on the chipexpress unit. A lot of money, but the advertising blurb suggests some significant returns.
Note to self: Must look into it a bit further :)

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
I look forward to hearing your success and/or comments on the chipexpress unit. A lot of money, but the advertising blurb suggests some significant returns.
Note to self: Must look into it a bit further :)
Look at my posts about it - cannot recommend it highly enough. I even posted my before/after dyno graphs to appease the haters. Ours has paid for itself due to mileage improvements alone :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Yousnooze, will most likely get the chipexpress soon(do you have a discount code by any chance?)

Regarding running in the engine, is there anywhere i can get a preview of what the official documents say?? Otherwise, i think i found a site that states what you say, but cant seem to find info on the R engine specifically.
The only new engine i have broken in was a 600cc engine.

:)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts