Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a 2012 Rio Reborn S. I am wondering if any1 has managed to connect an android device (MTP Audio, Samsung galaxy S3) using the USB port. I have had no problems connecting an Iphone, or a normal usb. But when I connect my Galaxy, the phone will charge but does not connect to the audio. I can connect through usb or Aux, but this means I lose the ability to use the steering wheel controls.
I did find its probably because the stereo doesnt understand how to read an MTP device. But just wondered if any1 had managed to find a work around, or if there was a Firmware upgrade for the stereo that allows it to read MTP devices.

Thanks

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS
95 Posts
Hi rio12.
I have the SLS and I really dont know if there is any difference in the audio between the S and SLS but my son has a Galaxy 3.
I have no problems with the iPhone either but have not yet tried the Galaxy 3.

Hmm....we will give it a try tonight and see if we have any problems :)

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS
95 Posts
Well I am now very happy I have a iPhone.
As soon as I plugged in the Galaxy 3 it said connection error. It will charge but not play music. When I unplugged the cable I could play music through Bluetooth controlling it with the phone only.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
I use an HTC Amaze and have no problem listening to music through bluetooth. Can use next/previous track on the steering wheel but track info does not show up on the UVO screen. I use the cable only for charging. Mostly I use a USB flashdrive for my music.

·
Registered
2014 Abyss Blue Kia Forte EX Sedan
180 Posts
This seems to be a common issue with Android users. Which brings me to something that has baffled me since I bought my Rio and that is the fact that the connector for the aux/USB actually states "IPOD". This is a suprise to me because it would seem to cause a copywrite issue for Apple, unless there is some sort of agreement between Apple and Kia to allow the use of the name in exchange for the radio recognizing only Apple products.

I too have a iPhone and do not have an issue using the USB connector to play music but I still spent a few bucks and got a jump drive to download my music to so I don't have to keep plugging and unplugging my phone every time I get out of my car. I can just leave the jump drive pluged in and it's ready whenever I want to switch to it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts