Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Rio S UB 2012
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since here in OZland we cant get the color screen and reverse camera I decided to explore what other options are out there.

I bought this LCD Rear View mirror from Ebay:

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d?r

and this reverse camera:

after putting it together, this is what the camera looks like installed:

http://s12.postimage.org/53blqfbt9/camera.jpg

and here is a video of the setup in action :

Kia Rio 2012 Reverse Camera with Rear view Mirror - YouTube

the picture is sharp, the camera I used to record the video shows it bit blurry which is not the case.

·
Registered
Kia Rio S UB 2012
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No it does not.

I changed the reverse light bulbs to LED and that provides massive amount of light and is more than enough to see at night / in dark car parks.

Oh i changed the license plate lights to leds too which provided more light too.

·
Registered
RIO 2012
9 Posts
No it does not.

I changed the reverse light bulbs to LED and that provides massive amount of light and is more than enough to see at night / in dark car parks.

Oh i changed the license plate lights to leds too which provided more light too.
Thanks for the info

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
i was considering this for ours a while ago, can't be bothered though. Not sure how much it would help backing out of angle parking when parked next to to a big car? that's the thing that annoys me the most in the Rio.

how wide is the wide angle lens? does it see substantially around to the side?

interesting that your reverse sensors have a different sound to mine

·
Registered
Kia Rio S UB 2012
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how wide is the wide angle lens? does it see substantially around to the side?

interesting that your reverse sensors have a different sound to mine
hmm, I wouldn't say substantially but the camera does make difference in tight car parks and my super tight small garage.

install was easy, took approx an hour including taking my time to run wires and solder in an inline fuse.

what sensors do you have ? stock ? ebay ?

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
what sensors do you have ? stock ? ebay ?
they're dealer fit, same part number as the 2G Rio from memory, very expensive yet very primitive system. The sensors look llike yours. The kit wires into the reverse lights, and simply has a speaker mounted in the parcel shelf or somewhere in the back i forget. Engages a couple of seconds after selecting reverse and beeps in about 5 or 6 stages. The factory one is meant to link up to the dash showing distance bars etc on the LCD in the speedo. Does yours do that? I think only the US gets it, maybe UK.

this is the one on ours:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Kia-UB-R...rse-Sensor-Kit-Part-KIAK1W09700-/300721171044

·
Registered
Kia Rio S UB 2012
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nah, I dont have the original ones. I installed aftermarket ones I bought from ebay.

these are the ones I bought :

they come with a little LCD screen which shows distance and also left/right indication of how close you are. Its quite handy. I mounted it at the back so when you look back as you reverse, you can see it nicely. Might need to rethink the location with the camera now installed but yeah, they pretty funky and as you can see, super cheap.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS White
9 Posts
I've been looking at getting a set up like this. Can you explain the install process. Also how does the mirror /monitor attach?

·
Registered
Kia Rio S UB 2012
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the mirror has clips so it just attaches straight onto your existing mirror. Then you just need to run supplied cable from the mirror to the back of the car behind the roof lining, pillar trim, down the side and then underneath the skirting trim all the way to the booth. This would take prob 15-20 mins.

Then you need to tap into the harness which carries the reverse light power, I used the Kia tech website which has all the info you need to find out which wire it is.

to get to the harness, you'll need to remove the top left trim in the boot.

installing camera is easy, it just clicks into the same spot where the license plate light is. then just run the wires through the rubber boot at the back into the boot.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS White
9 Posts
Thanks for the info. Do you find the distance guide lines useful? I'm not convinced a clip on mirror is for me. I wonder if there are other options for a screen? Do you find the mirror works well during day and night? Looks like the square screen edges can be seen.

·
Registered
Kia Rio S UB 2012
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the distance guide lines are useless, I would prefer the camera not to have them. I am only saying this because I mounted the camere in the license plate light and its quite low. If you mount the camera where the rear hatch door handle is, then thats a different story. I would need a bracket for that though and I just did not want to spend $150 for that.

Camera works just fine and it shows nicely whats behind you and its handy in carparks.

I was not happy with the clip system either but once the mirror is on, I dont even notice any clips etc, it just looks like stock mirror.

Re: the mirror itself,well there are different models. The one I bought has a large LCD screen but a small flaw which is at night, when I flip the mirror down to avoid being blinded by cars behind me, I cant see back so have to use side mirrors. The mirror has a blue-ish tint in it to address being blinded from back and it does work but sometimes u get a 4wd behind u and its just too bright and I have to flip it. During the day the screen in the middle does not matter as you can still see the reflection as if it was a mirror.

I bought another mirror though which is basically looks like a mirror, no blue tint and it works when u flip down but the screen is bit smaller so I decided to stick with the one u see in the video.

I have no complaints at all, it works well and for what it costs, its an absolute bargain. If you want professional quality etc, you'll have to be prepared to shell out probably 10 times as what I paid :)

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio 5 SX UVO, 2012 Cadillac Escalade Ultra Luxury
116 Posts
Looks good. I wish mine in Canada had the sensors too though.

·
Registered
Kia Rio S UB 2012
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yes, the camera and the LCD only turn on when u put it in reverse.

running the cables to the back was the easiest part.

·
Registered
Kia Rio S UB 2012
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
no its easier to run them down and then under the side skirts etc all the way to the back ...

·
Registered
Kia Rio S UB 2012
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yes, the wires from the camera go behind the headliner to the front widow pillar and then down to the floor.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts