Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was at the dealer for a test drive of the Cerato. Was I pleasantly surprised! As I began to trawl the web for more information, I learnt from kiacars.com that there's the Spectra and the Spectra5. Is the Australian Cerato the current one?

The reason I'm asking is because the dealer was like pushing very hard to make me commit on the spot. I sure wouldn't want to place an order now and later learn that the new model is on its way in a month's time.

Some questions though.

1) Is the engine CVVT? No where on the australian website says so.
2) The towel-like material trim is a surprise. How do you find it?
3) Is it worth the while fitting the ABS brakes?

I also notice that we only have dual air bags versus 6 as standard on all LX/EX/SX models.

thanks
Matt

·
Registered
2005 Kia Cerato
15 Posts
I hope this info Helps Matt I have done a bit of research on this car and talked to a few people who have one already.
Yes the Cerato over here comes only in 1 model with the option of auto for an extra 2grand and the ABS is an extra $850 bloody cheap i think for ABS everyone else charges at least $1500.
But the only problem is that you have to wait to get the Cerato in the right color with ABS if it's not in stock, I have been waiting 4 weeks so far for my black Cerato with ABS. They have a black one but not with ABS so I have to wait until it arrives. The motor in the Cerato is the motor out of the Hyundai Elantra before they put VVT on it only a diffence of 3kw and 4nm of torque. It is a well proven motor so It is pretty bomb proof and lots of go fast bits already out there for it.
The only other model for this car may come out at the ned of the year is the hatch back version.
We had the older model Spectra over here pretty guttless and not a big seller.
The Cerato was only released over here late 2004.
I have a 2004 Kia Rio at the moment ( has been a great car so far 40,000k's so far), I went had a look at the Cerato and took it for a test drive and that was it i signed up for it. Very impressed. I just hope it arrives before my annual leave is finished.
Yes our Cerato only comes with dual airbags.
Thanks Troy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Troy. Hope you get your car soon :)

Hmm ... if I were to go ahead with the Cerato, i better make sure that the delivery date is on the contract. I read that the ABS is non factory, perhaps that is why there is a delay as they have to send it somewhere else to get it done.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Cerato
15 Posts
Yes the ABS is special order but it is all done from the factory at Kia in Korea hence the delay. It is usually a 3month wait the dealer told me for a car with ABS if there is none in your state with it in that color.
My dealer already had one on order in my color so I did not have to wait 3months. I know the ship is arriving tomorrow the 21st so it should be a couple of weeks before it is off the wharf and into Patricks auto care for detailing and fitting badges and radio then into the yard.

·
Registered
8 Posts
hi

I bought a Cerato 1.6 LX hatch. The sedan is ALSO called the Cerato.

In the States, the Cerato is called the Spectra, but this branding is used for the sedan models only. The 5 door hatch is called the Spectra5.

So, if you have the Cerato sedan, it is branded the Spectra in the USA, if you have the hatch, it is branded the Spectra5 (5 door). As far as I know, in the USA, they only come with the 2l CVVT engine. But the Cerato's also come with 1.5, 1.6 and 2l non-CVVT engines in other parts of the world. I think, if I'm not mistaken, the Cerato does NOT come in the hatch in Australia, according to KIA Aussie site.

I also think it is ONLY the USA which uses the Spectra/Spectra5 branding... everywhere else it is branded Cerato.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The Spectra and Spectra 5 designations are also for the Canadian market.

After I bought my Spectra 5, I was looking on the net to find that the Kia Cerato Hatchback (spectra 5) comes with a lot of features that we in Canada and the U.S don't even get the option of. Like........

Automatic climate control.......
Factory leather interior(oh well, aftermarket is better anyway)
Heated seats (again, aftermarket is available)
Automatic headlight control.....
Traction control........
Tire pressure monitor sensor system....

Not to mention the other engine choices..........The non-cvvt Hyundai Beta 2 engine, the cvvt Beta 2 engine...... and the diesels...........God how I would have LOVED to get the turbo diesel!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.

I just learnt that even within the Cerato model, there's quite a number of variants in parts of the world. For example in Singapore, I heard that they only have the 1.6 l and they do have leather seats. But the strange thing is that there's no air bags!

Haven't made up my mind yet, but thanks for all the comments.

Matt

·
Registered
2005 Kia Cerato
15 Posts
Well the Cerato saga continues, it has been 6weeks so far and no sign of the car yet, they have cars arriving but only a few with ABS so I am in a dilema do I take the black with no ABS or do I wait another 3 months before the car i want with ABS arrives (state dealer says). So today I went in and just went without ABS so next week i'll have my car. hooray I'll post pics of her when she arrrives.
Thanks Troy
Dark tint, 17inch BSA Wheels in shadow chrome, rear spoiler and I have a set of lowered springs for her only $145 a pair $290 all up, I'll fit them myself whilst i'm on holidays.
Thanks Troy

·
Registered
2005 Kia Cerato
15 Posts
No the rims I had to purchase, they are MSA. I also just had her lowered, i'll post some more pics of her soon. Anyone have any ideas on a sports exhaust for it, the 2inch pipework is adequate so maybe headers and a straight through muffler.

·
Registered
4 Posts
st11x - Dont worry, When i ordered my Hyundai Elantra, i ordered it on the 6th April 2005 and im just getting delivery of it on the 24th July 2005!!

This was because i ordered the Elite in 5spd Manual... which has to go through as a factory order.

Hyundai is now sharing its distribution with Kia so processes for factory orders should be pretty much the same...

Dont worry mate im sure the wait will be worth it.... plus that 2.0i Beta engine is a mad little engine...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts