Kia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Sorento LX that I bought used a few months ago, and it came with an aftermarket headunit and is wired for boom-boom, although the previous owners kept the sub and amp. My question is whether the speakers I have on the corner of the door by the A-pillar are stock or did they add tweeters/crossovers to the system. The speakers definitely have some power to them so I am sure they are upgraded, but not sure about the little ones. Does anyone else have these speakers or are they aftermarket?

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
279 Posts
My 05 has them, right were the lever to adjust the mirrors would be if they were manually adjust ones... 100% stock setup in mine.

The stock system in the EX or the LX-Sport is pretty decent with powerful lows and crisp highs.

If you reach under the driver seat, you'll find a small amp mounted there. That is also the crossover for front setup. If you shine a flashlight into the speaker grill in the lower part of the door, is the speaker a pale glossy blue with no manufacturer logo, or do they have a name printed on them?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As a matter of fact, they ARE blue, thats what led me to believe that the speakers were upgraded, I never had a car with built in door tweeters and colored speakers. Does this crossover setup play well with an aftermarket amp and sub on an upgraded deck? Since I have the wires already, I was thinking of adding the amp and sub that the original owners didn't leave behind.

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
279 Posts
The factory amp is wired inline with the "regular" speaker wires coming off the head unit. They will play very nicely with it. Your aftermarket amp (mainly needed for subs) will be wired to the RCA subwoofer/rear outputs on the aftermarket radio. You can treat it as two seperate systems. Your "main" 6.5's and 2" on the factory amp/crossover, and your subwoofer on the larger aftermarket amp.

Like I said, I'm quite pleased with the factory setup, and only considered upgrading the head to get an aux in, instead of the tape adapter (I have the cd/tape combo model).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
True dat. Didn't think of that. Well, I had no choice as far as upgrading the head unit since it came with the car when I bought it, however I have been thinking of upgrading to a double din unit with a bigger display or something, but I need the money first lol.

I agree, though, the sound I get out of it the way it is is rather nice. :)

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento 3.5 5sp Auto
267 Posts
Just my 2c, but when i got the car had an aftermarket head unit in it.
I swapped it out to something with rear USB port (extension cable so i can hide it) and bluetooth.

One of my fronts started sounding a little wierd, and i got a set of ex demo Rockford Fosgate punch fronts given to me.
WOW what a difference. In comparison the stock speakers sounded muffled when put against these new splits.

And i thought the stock speakers were pretty good too.
We dont get the factory amplifier here in aus.

Just FYI the front tweeters are just hanging off the 6.5" fronts, they do not have a crossover box.

Now i am just wanting a little more bass, so started looking at an active subwoofer. THere is boss unit with an 8" sub that people seem to compliment for a stock setup.
Not looking for anything too loud, more so to just fill the bottom end.

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
279 Posts
Just my 2c, but when i got the car had an aftermarket head unit in it.
I swapped it out to something with rear USB port (extension cable so i can hide it) and bluetooth.

One of my fronts started sounding a little wierd, and i got a set of ex demo Rockford Fosgate punch fronts given to me.
WOW what a difference. In comparison the stock speakers sounded muffled when put against these new splits.

And i thought the stock speakers were pretty good too.
We dont get the factory amplifier here in aus.

Just FYI the front tweeters are just hanging off the 6.5" fronts, they do not have a crossover box.

Now i am just wanting a little more bass, so started looking at an active subwoofer. THere is boss unit with an 8" sub that people seem to compliment for a stock setup.
Not looking for anything too loud, more so to just fill the bottom end.
Like you said, You don't get the amplified version there in AUS. The USA model has the option of the amplifier mounted under the seat. It's a true crossover, rather than a resister inline like yours likely is. A good set of aftermarket speakers always makes a difference, but putting just a little $$ into the speakers won't give you much better sound.

I used to have one heck of a setup in my '99 Kia Sephia. Was metered (officially by IASCA) in 2001 or 2002? @135.4db
It consisted of an Infinity Reference 400.2 400w amp powering Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 fronts (6.5" and 2" with high precision crossover), and 2 MTX Thunder 8000 12" DVC, powered by an Infinity 1200D 1200w amp, and driven by a Pioneer DEH-p8500 and later a DEH-p8600 unit. So I'm no stranger to powerful sound ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts