Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready for my first trip with my 2016 Sorento LX and installed the roof rack crossbars I had the dealership include in my purchase. I then went online and started looking at roof carriers/bags and found this one that looked great. Here is an image of it:

As you can see, the straps are attached to the crossbars as well as the rails. I went to confirm I could strap this particular model to my vehicle and noticed that the rails on my vehicle don't appear to have any way to attach to straps or run them through. Here are two images of my rails:

In the second picture, you can see there is a small indention which may be how you get inside the rails, but I assume that is just to remove them entirely, not expose an area that would allow tethering.

I searched for some other pictures of Sorentos and it seems like as recent as the 2015 model did it have rails that you could attached to:

Is there any way to attach straps to the rails of my 2016 Sorento? If not, I will be shocked and pissed. What would be the point of them?

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sedona, 2012 Kia Soul, 2016 Kia Sorento
34 Posts
I agree the design of the kia sorento rails is STUPID. The fact that it's solid, and no cutouts.... NO way to secure anything at all except for the rails.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento EX / 2009 Nissan Murano S / 2011 Honda CBR
26 Posts
I agree the design of the kia sorento rails is STUPID. The fact that it's solid, and no cutouts.... NO way to secure anything at all except for the rails.
Thought the exact same thing. Salesman told me about them not even paying attention looked at them a few days later and wondered what I would be able to put up there without being able to tie it down easily.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sedona, 2012 Kia Soul, 2016 Kia Sorento
34 Posts
I windoer how hard it would be to REMOVE the rails and carefully ream some cutouts? (like for tie-down straps, etc). But then would water be an issue getting "inside"? Or are those rails not water tight?

Has anyone here taken their rails off? Just wondering.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts