Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys. I have owned a Sorento 2.5 CRDi for a few months now and would like to DIY replacemet of the automatic transimission fluid (ATF). Please advice the type of ATF (other than Apollo Red) is best for Kia Sorento. Thank you...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am sorry to tell you, but at this time there is no substitute for the Kia Red. The cost of the ATF in the US is $6.00/qt, but it is the only way to keep the warranty in effect. I have checked with major oil/ATF manufacturers and only Mobil makes a fluid to Kia specs and that is available at the dealer. You will find this issue with other car manufacturers like Honda who have the fluid made to their specs.

Kwalkman

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
Kia Red-1 is the only fluid you can use on the '05 Sorento. I haven't heard of the Mobile stuff, but it doesn't surprise me that it has come to exist. Kia Red-1 only works on one car, the '05 Sorento; no years before, and no other models. All of the other new models take Mitsubishi Diamond ATF-SPIII, which isn't any cheaper.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Apparantly your Kia "Red" is the same as "Apollo Red". Apollo Red has been packed for Kia Motor by Apollo Oil, Kentucky. It is selling for more than US20.00 per liter here!
There must be an equivalent ATF for Apollo Red out there. Can somebody help?

·
Registered
4 Posts
2005 Kia Sorento EX, 5 Speed Auto Trans, 4X4:

I want to switch over to synthetic fluids and need to know if the APOLL Oil ATF Red-1 transmission fluid is a synthetic blend and based on a Dextron III basestock?

Transmission #A5SR1, Kia ATF part #UM040CH020. I know the stuff is made in Korea by Power Tech using JATCO's trademark and this is all the info I could pry out of Kia's Technical Dept.

Any and all info would be appreciated.

Steve

P.S. I work for a Kia Dealership and the only info they have is what I researched and provided them (besides the APOLL Oil ATF Red-1 fluid code).

·
Registered
18 Posts
The only information I was able to gather is that Dextron III is formulated using a Group II basestock. Granted that this is correct, Dextron III is therefore not a synthetic ATF. I could not gather any information about Apoll Oil ATF Red-1 ATF. I'm afraid this isn't much help. :blush:

·
Registered
2005 Optima
9 Posts
The only information I was able to gather is that Dextron III is formulated using a Group II basestock. Granted that this is correct, Dextron III is therefore not a synthetic ATF. I could not gather any information about Apoll Oil ATF Red-1 ATF. I'm afraid this isn't much help. :blush:
You are corrent DEX III is not a synthetic ATF, I believe the DEX VI is and it is much more expensive. Valvoline Maxlife ATF maybe compatible with Red-1, I will have confirmation or denial tomorrow.

·
Registered
2010 SOUL + Auto (B2522),2010 Soul SPORT Limited Edition Stick (B2581)
2,878 Posts
Kia Red-1 is the only fluid you can use on the '05 Sorento. I haven't heard of the Mobile stuff, but it doesn't surprise me that it has come to exist. Kia Red-1 only works on one car, the '05 Sorento; no years before, and no other models. All of the other new models take Mitsubishi Diamond ATF-SPIII, which isn't any cheaper.
Interesting. As KIA's own USA tech support site tells KIA MECH's that
1)All FWD chassis based vechs from 96 on use SPIII now
2)All Sportage 95-2002 RWD based chassis use DexIII
3)All RWD based chassis 2002-2005 4spd auto use DexIII Sorento 3.5L
4)all RWD based chassis 2005-on 5spd auto use RED-1 the Sorento 3.8L and now the 3.3L.
As well as the 3.8L 5spd combo in the New RWD based Borrago. And the late intro 3.3L 5spd in the Genisis.

The 3.8L Genesis gets a new Aisin sourced 6spd auto. And no hard data on fluid is out yet. If the 5spd was indeed as well a Aisin unit, then RED-1 it might be in this one too.

One would assume a RWD based 2.5L CRD Diesel with a 4spd auto will use the same DEXIII. And one with the 5spd auto the same RED-1 as well.

As for the new Tau 4.6L V8 and its 6spd Auto. It is a ZF sourced unit and no data is out yet. But it is a good bet it will not use RED-1 in the V8 6spd combo RWD based Genesis and Borrago.

But SPIII and DexIII and RED1 are not the same nor should they be mixed. And DexIV is synth and the newest. Have not seen GM come out with DexV nor VI yet.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,475 Posts
You will need to register. http://www.kiatechinfo.com Go here if you are still confused about what ATF to use in your KIA product. Look under community then Tech times and find KT2007052207. It shows a chart that is very helpful. This should help the confused souls out there.

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,475 Posts
Your welcome. Glad to have helped someone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts