Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento 3.5 5sp Auto
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have been planning to do the ATF fluid flush/replacement for a while.
First time doing it on any car, so a little nervous. Damn, its easy.

So for a generic how to go on youtube. But there was something specific i couldn't find about our sorento's. Which is the ATF return pipe.

This is the rough procedure i followed.
1. While there is still fluid, find out which is the return pipe after the ATF cooler back into the transmission. (for me this was trial and error as i couldn't find any documentation on which is the return pipe. I have two photos that i will post below to advise which is the return pipe)

2. Drain the fluid from the transmission pan. (i didn't change the filter, but really should drop the pan, and change the filter at this point.)

3. Put in the same amount of fluid as you took out via the dipstick. (4 litres in my case).

4. Start the car and catch the old transmission fluid coming out via the return pipe, and keeping pouring in new via the dipstick.
I only let 2 litres come out before stopping the car, and catching up with the amount of fluid going back in. Completed that a couple times.

Put return hose hose back on, , run it for a while, and check the fluid level.
Done.

The main reason i am writing this is to advise which is the return pipe, so you dont have spill ATF everywhere in trial and error like i did.
Now to catch the old ATF i put a clear hose on the return pipe, so i could see the colour. You should be able to see it in the pictures.

There is two pipes next to each other. One going into the radiator, and one coming out of the transmission cooler. (from the radiator, it going into the transmission cooler). The one that is the return pipe is the one coming out of the transmission cooler. In the photos its if you cant tell properly, its the one with the clear hose and a worm gear screw clamp.

Feel free to add any info guys.

Good luck all.
And it takes about 10 litres total, although that has been discussed.

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I dont mean to start a new discussion on which ATF to use, but i used Penrite ATF FS Full Synthetic. The previous owner got it services at a nissan dealership at 90 000km and they put in Dex3. it now has just under 140 000km when i replaced it with the penrite. Feels smoother, and before i used to get a weird shift hesitation in first second (and maybe second third) shifts, that i thought was related to TSB number 17. In a couple drives, i havent seemed to be able to feel this again.
I realise i could still experience the shift-shock if i do have the TSB issue, but just saying haven't experienced it yet with the new ATF.

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,483 Posts
US models after 05 with the 5 sp I believe take the Kia red fluid(See PDF). Can't speak for you guys down under and across the big pond. That may have been the issue with shifting before your fluid change. I also don't believe there is a serviceable filter in there. I have only seen a screen that can be cleaned.

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It should be the Appolo oil Red-1 on the 5 speed here in aus too.
I just wanted to leave the debate for another thread.
From my research it seems to be made by Idemitsu. If it was readily available locally i would have got it, but i simply chose for something that is off the self, and more readily available here. But also the Dexron 3 is the wrong fluid.
So nstoolman, you have opened yours up and only seen a filter?
I think when searching i found a kit made by ryco that included a filter. But that may have been that screen that you clean out????

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,483 Posts
No debate intended. That little nugget has been hashed out so many times I can't count them. I was responding to your statement of a problem prior to the exchange. If you found a fluid that works for you and is a cost saver then by all means use it.

Yes, I opened my 03 up at 118,000 miles and found only a screen and 4 magnets. I also found a tiny screw in the bottom of the pan. I found the hole it went to and with a drop of Red Loc-tite popped it back in. I only do drain and fills every 30,000. I dropped the pan when I was doing some major maintenance to see how dirty it was and put to rest the issue of a serviceable filter. (On the 03 only)

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
RED 1 is difficult to obtain over here, the Penrite Synthetic multi fluid is said to be a suitable oil for the 5 speed auto by Penrite. Probably true, Penrite are a good oil company, when Jeep could no longer get Qudratrack oil from their original supplier, it was Penrite that were able to develop an alternative. I've used their heavy duty limslip diff oil for years, in several different 4WD, and Nissan recommend it as an alternative factory fill for the Patrol.
I guess time will tell but in any case it has to be better than the Dex III that was in it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My thought exactly cmar.
Has to be better than dex3.
I like Penrite too. Currently every oil in the car is Penrite, except brake fluid. Was just hard to find when doing the job. People were out of stock.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey guys,
just wanna know how to go about doing a drain and fill on my 08' 3.5L sorento?
where is the drain plug located?
How many qrts come out ?
and do pour new fluid into a fill plug in engine or through the dipstick ?

Thanks,

·
Registered
92 Posts
the '08 only have 3.3 and 3.8 (i think).
there is a plug on the pan in order to drain the at fluid.
pour thru the dipstick.
i think i used 4 quarts (just measure what you took out - and fill with that amount (if it was full to begin with))

1 - 9 of 9 Posts