Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, i plan on doing a tranny oil change and when i looked under to see what to expect what i saw was confusing, i seen where to drain the oil that the easy part, but i am not sure about the AT filter. there is a stem from the oil pan to the dipstick it is one whole piece so i am wondering if there is a filter to change or should i just take it in to have this done due to i don't want to screw this up.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD
462 Posts
I'm not sure about your model year, but for the most part, transmissions these days don't have serviceable filters. The Kias usually have a magnetic drain plug that you can clean off, but that's about the only filtering you get aside from the non-removable internal filter. This is why I do a quick partial drain-and-refill every 15k miles or so. That keeps the percentage of metal powder at a minimum.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
164 Posts
Most modern automotive transmissions are filled for life under normal driving conditions.
There is a internal filter, but it is not a paper type micron filter as used by many american manufacturers.
Some dealerships have a system where you tap into the trans cooler fitting lines and then run the vehicle on the lift. As the old oil is collected outside of the vehicle, new oil is pumped in. This is a good method because it also gets all the old oil out of the torque converter. Ask around. Not cheap, but really the best method! Good luck!

·
Registered
2008 SORENTO EX
35 Posts
Hello all, i plan on doing a tranny oil change and when i looked under to see what to expect what i saw was confusing, i seen where to drain the oil that the easy part, but i am not sure about the AT filter. there is a stem from the oil pan to the dipstick it is one whole piece so i am wondering if there is a filter to change or should i just take it in to have this done due to i don't want to screw this up.
In your signature, it states that you have an 08 Sorento...which means you have the Nissan sourced 5sp auto. Yes, there is a screen filter inside the pan that can be removed, but there are some catches. There are several 10mm nuts holding the filter, but two have no easy access to the other side of the bolt, and if you don't have a impact driver (small 1/4" one), then you may never get them off. I would suggest looking up on Youtube...search for transmission filter change on Nissan Pathfinders/Xterra/Titans/Frontiers to get some clue as what the process involves.

ALSO, AND MOST IMPORTANT...BUY YOUR FILTER AND PAN GASKET FROM KIA! Why? I said earlier, the 5sp in your Sorento was sourced from Nissan...almost same transmission as the ones in the Pathfinders/Xterras/Frontiers/etc. But, the pan is slightly different because of the dipstick. If you go to your local auto parts store (or even RockAuto) and order a filiter/gasket kit from them...most likely, you will get a kit made for the 5sp auto in Nissans...the filter will work, but not the gasket. I ended up using RTV to seal up the pan...I hate that crap! So, you've been forewarned!

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul
11 Posts

The filter is (internal) inside the pan.
Modern cars don't need routine transmission oil changes unless you have many, many miles (250,000 miles or more) on the transmission.

·
Registered
'08 Sorento, '18 Civic Type R, '90 Vortech Supercharged TransAm, '03 VF-34 WRX, '97 Del Sol SI
133 Posts
The filter is (internal) inside the pan.
Modern cars don't need routine transmission oil changes unless you have many, many miles (250,000 miles or more) on the transmission.
The severe maintenance schedule (which includes many different driving conditions) for a 2008 Sorento calls for replacing the automatic transmission fluid every 18 months/18,000 miles whichever comes first. What does your the manual for your 2020 specify?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts