Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Rio LX 2012 Soul+ 2.o
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I was ripping through the back roads in Northern California yesterday on windy weavy roads that were so bad I almost made myself sick . . . . . that's the good part.

The bad part was I was getting my ass handed to me by a new Dart (turbo). It wasn't just in the corner recovery where the Dart's torque clearly exceeded my own, it was the fact that my car's willingness to stick to the road was simply less than that of the Dodge.

So, Tires, X-Braces, Suspension . . . what is the secret. My tires are stock for the '12 lx. Small, thinnish and the like, so I know there is clearly room for improvement.

How would you prioritize the improvements to create a safer ride on this type of terrain?

BTW, I get that driving slower would obviously be safer but I am not talking about unreasonable speeds . . . . there were trucks that were besting me through the corners with far higher centers of gravity.

Recommendations?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
463 Posts
Tyres. Stock tyres are great for everyday driving but not for the twisty stuff. After tyres then go x brace. As for suspension, we have different suspension set up compared to the US so not sure on that bit.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Dart is a US version of the Alfa, it has more power and better suspension. Those Italians know how to make good-performing cars.

Tyres might help, but otherwise... Be Happy.

·
Registered
2013 RIO5, 2000 GMC Jimmy, 1996 Astro Van, 2004 New Beetle Convertible
126 Posts
Tires, Tires, Tires > > >

Tires and light wheels first .....

I'm only driving my car for economy so a bit torn over buying a nice wheel I like vs a light wheel. TireRack has some 10lb wheels for 140$ each but not totally sold on the looks. Some nice crome wheels weigh over 20lbs <doh!!!> 15" I am looking at ....

Check out the vid ....

Cheers,
Paul

·
Registered
2013 Rio 5 EX White MT
105 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Rio 5 EX White MT
105 Posts
The Forte is the car matched to the Dart and others in that class not the Rio unless you mod it up. Are you equipped with the manual transmission? If so did you unplug the clutch sensor that reduces engine rpms during shifts? CAI will help for corner recovery to get the HP & Torque more quickly. Definitely tire upgrade to reduce traction loss.

·
Registered
2012 Rio LX 2012 Soul+ 2.o
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really appreciate this info guys. I absolutely love my Rio every time I drive it, but I felt the drivetrain was out outperforming the suspension/tires etc.

I think I would like to remain on the same size wheel but would certainly like a lighter and more aesthetically pleasing wheel than stock steel and plastic.

Regarding the tires (forgive my ignorance) my assumption would be going a little wider might be a smart move . . . are there specific pitfalls I should look for in going this direction? What are my limits? Also, what are your suggestions re: a good ballance when it comes to rubber hardness?

Thanks again

·
Registered
2013 RIO5, 2000 GMC Jimmy, 1996 Astro Van, 2004 New Beetle Convertible
126 Posts
Up here in Quebec, Canada it is law during Dec 15th to Mar 15th to use an approved snow tire. This means it you you should have 2 sets wheels/tires and at the end of the day cost is probably not far off owning one set multi-purpose tires.

For those of you who don't have to worry about snow and all-season tires your options really open up(or for those of us that have dedicated winter and summer sets).

Do you have a budget for your wheels and tires?
This wheel is probably the best bang for the buck vs weight at 10.7lbs
Kosei K4R Light Grey Painted

For tires, cost, noise, tread wear, what are you looking for?

Cheers,
Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I think I would like to remain on the same size wheel but would certainly like a lighter and more aesthetically pleasing wheel than stock steel and plastic.

Regarding the tires (forgive my ignorance) my assumption would be going a little wider might be a smart move . . . are there specific pitfalls I should look for in going this direction? What are my limits? Also, what are your suggestions re: a good ballance when it comes to rubber hardness?

Thanks again
Usual thing when looking for performance is a wider and lower-profile tyre. That means a larger wheel size, assuming that you must keep the overall tyre diameter the same. 2011 Forte, for example comes in either 195/65-15 (steel) or 215/45-17 (alloy). Tread width is only part of it; tyre quality varies quite a lot. Remember also that low profile tyres are less robust when tackling rough roads and hitting kerbs. Can't help you with exact tyre dimensions allowable on the RIO.

As for the contribution of suspension to handling, I used to own an Alfetta GTV 2.0 which produced 90 Kw. It was rather a heavy car with only moderate performance, but would leave most new 2.0 litre cars for dead in the twisty bits. Out 2.0 Cerato (Forte) has more power, but I know which car I would rather drive. Nothing wrong with the Cerato, but it's horses for courses. Tyre specification on the Alfa was nothing special; Michelin XAS 185/70-14 if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
1998 Chevy Lumina, 2013 Kia Rio, 2002 Triumph Daytona 955i, 2005 Yamaha YZF-R6
34 Posts
The biggest improvement is gonna come from a wheel and tire combo. Then brakes and then everything else.

I'm looking to do the upgrade myself and am already set on BFG Rivals. Jus debating wether to go with Kosei K1 TS in 15 x 7 with 205/50 rubber or the K4R's in 15 x 8 with 225/45 rubber.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts