Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2003 EX 4 x 4
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '03 EX with 18,400 miles (bought used from local KIA dealer with 14,000 miles on it)and this past month I noted a kind of groaning, popping sound coming from the left side of the car when I begin to accelerate from a stop. Sounded like bosy flexing.

I took it in today and the guy said it was just the KIA step up rails (tube shaped) and needed lube and tightening.

Well, a few hours after I dropped it off, they called to say it appears someone put the car on a lift and lifted the car by the SIDE STEPS, instead of the body frame, and the steps had bent some brackets, but were jury rigged back into place with some washers etc. Nothing dangerous mind you, but it is what is causing the noise.

When I first got the vehicle during winter, I had the tires rotated and balanced...no noise issues...Two months ago I had another place (Pep Boys) align all 4 wheels...noise started a month after that..that's the only two places I've been that would have raised the vehicle.

So I can't blame anyone at this point, it may have been the first owner for all I know.

Oh and the guy at KIA said it would cost me $737 to repair/replace everything..seem some of the mounting bracket holes got tweaked out...

Just wanted to vent, and it sucks ya can't even trust a repair shop to correctly lift a vehicle.

BTW: The squeak is still there, but not quite so bad, so we'll live with it. I may take the rails off if we sell it so I don't have to answer the "what's that noise?" questions.

Thanks for listening. :57:

The Alfer

·
Registered
2003 EX 4 x 4
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well for a what it's worth update...

I decided to go back to the dealer I bought the Sorento from and play dumb about the annoying creaking sound...didn't mention that the other dealer wanted $800 to replace the rails and weld other stuff.

Sure enough, they fixed it and it's quiet as a church mouse now! (knock on wood).

I'm a happy camper now!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts