1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
sorento LX + conv package 2017
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IIHS seems to think so.
Most midsize SUV headlights are marginal or poor

Honestly, haven't had mine out in boonies after dark yet and didn't think to make that part of the test drive.

for the lower trim levels:

Low beams
On the straightaway, visibility was fair on both sides of the road. On curves, visibility was inadequate in all 4 tests.

The low beams created some glare.

High beams
On the straightaway, visibility was good on both sides of the road. On curves, visibility was inadequate in all 4 tests.

For the SX and SXL trim with curve adaptive:

Low beams
On the straightaway, visibility was inadequate on both sides of the road. On curves, visibility was fair on the sharp right curve and inadequate on the gradual right and both left curves.

The low beams never exceeded glare limits.

High beams
On the straightaway, visibility was good on the right side of the road and fair on the left side. On curves, visibility was fair on the sharp right curve and inadequate on the gradual right and both left curves.

·
Registered
17' Sorento SXL V6 AWD, 14' Mazda6 GT w/ Tech, 16 Aprilia Tuono V4 Factory, 14' BMW S1000R
828 Posts
Yes they are. They need to be aimed higher which has helped. I also think the auto light control is very lazy in adjusting the brightness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX V6, Regency Red, Built in Georgia March 16, 2016 - Bought it April 28th, 2016
462 Posts
CB is correct, aim them higher, and they work fine - at least for me.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alrighty then. I'll try bringing them up a little. Thanks for the advice.

I wonder if they pointed them low to reduce glare issues?

jim

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX V6, Regency Red, Built in Georgia March 16, 2016 - Bought it April 28th, 2016
462 Posts
Probably pointed low to allow for the worse case scenario where the SUV is loaded so the rear suspension is almost on the bump stops.
Hardly how we drive everyday.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento
42 Posts
I don't see anything in the manual about this. I have searched this forum and the pictures posted are confusing. I look down the whole on the top of the housing and I don't see anything to turn. Is there something on the back of the headlight you turn? I have an SX with HID's.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SXL
162 Posts
I have a 2014 Sorento SXL and yes. They are horrible. The worse I have had on a vehicle. I limit my driving at night, especially when out in remote country areas. Even putting them on bright doesn't help.

·
Registered
2017 sorento
8 Posts
How often have you been flashed so far? The cut off does look good to me. The main problem I see is there is no step on the cut off like factory hids. The purpose for the step is so the light is high in your side of the road and lower on the other side to keep from blinding oncoming traffic

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Refer to the manual.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would, but the 2017 manual doesn't discuss it, and is darn vague about replacing bulbs for that matter "Open hood, remove headlamp assembly.

I had to find it on a youtube vid.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
my wifes car is an Audi Q5 with the same HID with auto leveling and honestly, my Sorento has just as good of lights as the Audi. Unfortunately, the big thing with HID and Projector beam lights are the brightness but the trade off will always be the cut off. I honestly wish for the standard bulbs many times as i am not sure the true value of the HID's.

·
Registered
2017 SXL AWD
129 Posts
There is no information in the manual about aiming headlights. I have no idea why people keep saying refer to the manual.
Different trims with different headlights.

For those of us with adaptive HIDs, I think we are out of luck.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts