Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 LX+
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to start a new thread on my car. I sorted all my pictures in photobucket and apparently I am over my usage and its causing all my pics to stop working. I created a new account with a different site to host the pictures.

I bought this car in June 2013, after my 2003 Hyundai Elantra GT finally quit on me. I had already been thinking about getting a new car, and that gave me the final push I needed to get the Kia. I liked the 2013 model as it looks more sportier then the 2010 and I like the drive. It was also within my price range which certainly help. I got the car with only 11Km on it.

Mods so far:

30% Front tints
20% Rear tints
Chrome door handle covers
Smoked window visors
K3 Carbon Fiber Emblems
Debadged trunk
6000K H11B HID kit
Stainless steal pedals
OBD Bluetooth reciever (to connect with phone to use with Torque)
Map and Dome light LED upgrade
RTX 17" Wheels dipped with Protect Dip in Purple
215/45ZR17 summer tires
Carbon fiber trim kit
Hella horn (not yet installed)
Boss 600w amp
750W Alpine 10" Sub
1 farad cap
Underglow lights (not yet installed)
Cold Air Intake
Painted calipers
Smoked tail lights
Smoked reflectors
Sturt bar from Evilla Motorsports
Rear torsion bar from Evilla Motorsports
Purple fog lights
Shark Fin radio antenna
Evilla Motorsports MAgnaflow exhaust
Crossed drilled and slotted rotors w/ premium ceramic pads
Super Wide Rearview Mirror
HD Dash Camera
Oil catch Can
Pumpkin Double DIN Android Head Unit
Painted Dash
Weather Tech Mats
Prostart Remote Starter
Summit Racing Rage Sports Roof Rack
Carbon Fiber Rad cover from Evilla Motorsport
EverStart Maxx Battery
Racing Stripe
Carbon Fiber door protectors
Footwell LED lights

Sponsored by Evilla Motorsports

Day 1:

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 SX 6-Speed Manual
72 Posts
I noticed in the pictures that you have a short ram and in your mods you have a cold air intake listed. Were you able to tell a difference moving from cold air to a shorty? Nice build!

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 LX+
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I noticed in the pictures that you have a short ram and in your mods you have a cold air intake listed. Were you able to tell a difference moving from cold air to a shorty? Nice build!
I haven't put in the pipe for the cold air. I need to remove the existing stock intake system from underneath the car. This will give me access to run the remaining pipe to convert from SRI to CAI. I actually plan on doing that in the next couple of weeks. I will let you know if I notice a difference

·
Registered
2016 Rio lx +
248 Posts
You should come out to one of my club meets, they are in port hope which isn't far from Oshawa! Nice to see you started a new thread!

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 LX+
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You should come out to one of my club meets, they are in port hope which isn't far from Oshawa! Nice to see you started a new thread!
Yea sure that would be great! I was living in Newmarket so most of my meets were out that way. Been living this way for about a year now. Let me know when you are doing your meets and Ill make my way there. I got you a facebook too, feel free to shoot me a message.

Just put on my summers yesterday! Going to give the car a good clean this week and will have updated pictures uploaded

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 LX+
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got a lot done this weekend. Installed new NGK Laser Iridium spark plugs. The old ones were not bad, but definitely getting worn out and was time to change them. Also got a chance to give the car a good clean inside and out. Here are some updated pics. My car was also published this weekend in an article on NinetyOneOctane (Podcast for car enthusiasts).

Check out the article here:

https://www.ninetyoneoctane.com/garage/jon---calebs-2013-6-speed-kia-rio

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 LX+
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some updates:

It has been a hectic few months. A brief update on what happened.

February - Car began having some issues, which ultimately left me stranded on the side of the road (2 hours from home and my mechanic). Thankfully I have CAA and got towed. My CAT got plugged up to the point that it needed to be completely replaced.

April - Replaced the spark plugs with NGK Laser Iridium plugs (very easy to do and took 15mins to complete). After replacing spark plugs my traction light is now stuck on, even if I were to toggle it on/off. Before anyone asks, yes I did disconnect the battery before doing this work. I also began noticing that I was burning oil and have had to top up 2 times between oil changes.

May - I started having another issue where I would be driving and the car would loose power (acceleration). I would have to turn the car off and turn it back on (sometimes it would just keep cranking and would not come back on). After having this happen a few times and not being able to figure out what it is, I took the car to my mechanic. Turns out that there is a common issue with certain Kia's (Rio, Rondo, Forte) that the bulk head connector gets corroded and causes a loss of communication which causes the car to shut off. I was told replacing it is very costly ($2g +) but they were able to clean the connections with a cleaner and grinding it down (long process). After doing this, they also replaced the crankshaft position sensor, as it was also causing errors.

The car is now sitting in my driveway and is working, however it is still burning oil. Still looking into this.

I also got a hood scoop from a friend of mine who no longer needs it. Currently playing around with how it would look on the hood of the car. It is plain black, however I do have some carbon fiber vinyl that I may wrap it in. I will also be using this wrap on the interior of the car.

Pics to come!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts