Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento SX, 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Tech pkg. Former 2014 Kia Rondo EX Luxury,
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey;
Looks like there is an update using the Navigation Updater:

List of updates:

Some interesting (to me) notes for the 2020 Standard class Gen5:
  • new GUI by the looks (the purple theme newer cars got last fall)
  • more voice commands available
  • new Bluetooth options
  • screen brightness can now adjust based on light sensor
  • no mention of wireless

There are other updates, I just listed the ones I see that interest me. I really hope I don't hate the new GUI...I'm a tech guy and I'm used to that sort of thing so changing menus are no huge deal to me, but I am not impressed by the screenshots so far. I'll have to get used to them as I'm going to get the update anyway. I'll report any other issues once I do the update.

No mention of Wireless AA or Carplay.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX
76 Posts
Just downloading now. Looks like it came out a day ago but with my 2016, it may not do much if anything other than perhaps some map updates. SD card is almost done so tomorrow might be a good day to update.

·
Registered
2020 Sorrento EX+
9 Posts
Does anyone know if this fixes the voice commands?

On the original software, pressing the voice command button on the steering wheel would activate the Google voice command in Android Auto.

With the last version pressing the button activates the UVO voice commands.... Pretty annoying.

Edit: applying the update anyways and I'll report back...

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento SX, 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Tech pkg. Former 2014 Kia Rondo EX Luxury,
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anyone know if this fixes the voice commands?

On the original software, pressing the voice command button on the steering wheel would activate the Google voice command in Android Auto.

With the last version pressing the button activates the UVO voice commands.... Pretty annoying.

Edit: applying the update anyways and I'll report back...
After the October update, you just need to hold down the voice command button for 2-3 seconds to activate Google Assistant. A quick press activates UVO instead....so it's:
Short press = UVO
Long press = Google

I would say the logic will work the same with this update.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,833 Posts
This page explains all the changes. Not sure I like it.
Notice | Official Kia Navigation Update Website
You don't have a Gen5 in your 2016, though, and it appears that those particular GUI changes all pertain to Gen5.
That said, I saw some kind of updates for Gen4 software going on, so it will be interesting to see, this morning, if anything new or different appears.

Update: Don't see anything new related to the code, just the map.

·
Registered
2018 Sorento SX AWD w/Technology Package
29 Posts
Just updated a Gen4 2018 Sorento SX wNav here. Haven't noted any changes to the UI. Performance is good. Took about 40 minutes to do.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My gen5 2020 updated fait;y quickly using the Kia memory card...took about 30 mins.

And yep, it's the new navigation and interface and I really think it looks cheesy and not as easy to read at a glance as the old interface:

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
624 Posts
Has anyone done this update without running the engine? I really don't have any 40 minute or so trips planned. I was thinking I could just connect my battery charger if it's pissy about the battery running down. I feel like I'm living in a Nanny State, do they really think half an hour on battery is going to kill the battery?

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,833 Posts
You can, if your 2020 works like previous, just double push the start button to enable everything without starting the engine. Probably good to keep the lights and stuff off so you don't pull down the battery while doing the job.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,833 Posts
My gen5 2020 updated fait;y quickly using the Kia memory card...took about 30 mins.

And yep, it's the new navigation and interface and I really think it looks cheesy and not as easy to read at a glance as the old interface:

View attachment 118455
Whoa! Cool retro Nixie tubes!
Of course, they didn't get that right. The filaments were not continuous. They were segmented similar to the way a 7 segment LED worked.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sorento SX V6
85 Posts
My 2017 Sorento is a Gen4, so I'm not seeing anything different post-update. I assume some roads/POIs were updated. It took about 30 minutes to get the update loaded onto an SD card and about 40 minutes to complete the update.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX L (FWD)
421 Posts
I left the old SD card in and went to the 'update' button. It then updated. Guess I never finished the last update? I figured it would prompt me for the new software.

Anyway, this is the way to do it: put in the new software SD card then find and push the 'update'.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Whoa! Cool retro Nixie tubes!
Of course, they didn't get that right. The filaments were not continuous. They were segmented similar to the way a 7 segment LED worked.
Haha someone had to like the new theme if the decided to roll it out. Just not my taste, but I'll get used to it (and I use AA most of the time anyways). I don't much like the purple theme, but my wife is going to love it.

·
Registered
2020 Sorrento EX+
9 Posts
After the October update, you just need to hold down the voice command button for 2-3 seconds to activate Google Assistant. A quick press activates UVO instead....so it's:
Short press = UVO
Long press = Google

I would say the logic will work the same with this update.
I should have read the release notes or asked earlier on these forums! 🤣. Your method definitely worked.

Last night I updated to the April update. Didn't bother running my engine, but I had a charger hooked up to my battery so it didn't drain (Noco g3500).

Interface is a bit of a shock at first, but I'm already getting used to it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I should have read the release notes or asked earlier on these forums! 🤣. Your method definitely worked.

Last night I updated to the April update. Didn't bother running my engine, but I had a charger hooked up to my battery so it didn't drain (Noco g3500).

Interface is a bit of a shock at first, but I'm already getting used to it.
After the Oct. update the new method threw me off too (even though I only had the car for a week or so then). It was in this forum that I learned that trick, and where I learned to make sure to read the release notes first lol.

I also waited a few days and watched some of the other threads on this site for other cars, etc. to get an idea of how teh update was working.

·
Registered
2016 sorento ex v6 awd wisconsin
66 Posts
The update has a warning that you can't go back to previous version once you update. That's why I always for a couple of pages of review first.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The update has a warning that you can't go back to previous version once you update. That's why I always for a couple of pages of review first.
FWIW, no glitches or issues yet. Android Auto, Bluetooth, etc. all seem good so far in my limited use.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I believe all the updates are that way.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I just finished the update, just did it in the garage. Took about 20-25 minutes, and now I'm all purple. I'm not sure I'm crazy about the color scheme, but I'm sure it'll change in six months. :D

1 - 20 of 41 Posts