Kia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento EX+ 2.5L Turbo DCT AWD, 2012 Kia Soul 2u
15 Posts
How big is this damn file? The updater says I need 31GB free on my hard drive just to download the update.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yup its big because final fine was about 22GB
Hmm I have 68gb free on my mac so I'm not sure why this updater is saying I don't have the sufficient 31gb free. I'll dump some photos onto a hard drive and see if that will do the trick. Or I'll just wait until they do the update with wireless carplay.

·
Registered
2021 KIA Sorento SX XLINE Glacial White Pearl
87 Posts
Hmm I have 68gb free on my mac so I'm not sure why this updater is saying I don't have the sufficient 31gb free. I'll dump some photos onto a hard drive and see if that will do the trick. Or I'll just wait until they do the update with wireless carplay.
Lol you might be waiting a while for wireless carplay unless you got some inside info.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento SX, 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Tech pkg. Former 2014 Kia Rondo EX Luxury,
368 Posts
Yeah, but at least it worked and I'm updated. Two hours is probably not typical...not sure why mine took that long.
Are you using the official SD card, or a class 10 speed card? I would imagine if your card is less than the recommended specs it would slow things down, or perhaps, if there are read issues with the card.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige X-Line
5 Posts
Lol you might be waiting a while for wireless carplay unless you got some inside info.
Yeah I know it kind of sucks that we are missing that feature. I wish there was an official forum for Kia to discuss these issues with customers. I've thought about trying to reach out to infotainment developers for Hyundai/Kia. There is a bunch of potential for this feature and others to be baked into the infotainment. For now I've ordered a 3rd party wireless carplay device.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah I know it kind of sucks that we are missing that feature. I wish there was an official forum for Kia to discuss these issues with customers. I've thought about trying to reach out to infotainment developers for Hyundai/Kia. There is a bunch of potential for this feature and others to be baked into the infotainment. For now I've ordered a 3rd party wireless carplay device.
I see there are a few of these adapters out there. Any suggestions on one that works well?

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige X-Line
5 Posts

·
Registered
'21 Kia Sorento SX Prestige, FWD, Gravity Gray, 2.5L Turbo
20 Posts
Which port do I plug the USB thumb drive into? Can I leave the engine OFF while updating?

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige - X-Line (a mouth full)
89 Posts
Which port do I plug the USB thumb drive into? Can I leave the engine OFF while updating?
The data port, in the middle. Not only can the engine be off, you can start and stop the car as it completes the update. The car said to have the engine on to insure the battery lasts but it's no issue, unless the headlights are on too!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks! I will update and report any issues...

·
Registered
Blue Sorento SX TGDI 2021 AWD
22 Posts
with my job I often go to dealers like kia and many others. one of the kia dealers warned me to be careful to download the update from the right website because many people had problems afterwards.
I was wondering if some of you had a problem after the update

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
624 Posts
Well, I went to the proper website and I had no issues. I stuck mine into the SD-CARD slot and turned on the ignition. Once I told it to update, I just walked away. It took about 20-25 minutes and it was alive and well, and purple. :D My 2020 has the GEN5 Standard.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I downloaded the update file (22gb) onto a usb thumb drive (64gb capacity), which took about a 20 minutes. Then I updated the car which took about an hour. No problems!! But, you do have to be careful and select the correct file by matching your Version number with the correct one on Kia's website.

·
Registered
'21 Sorento SX Sapphire Blue
56 Posts
We just bought our '21 Sorento EX Monday. I thought I might do the update this morning. The concern I have is neither the Model or the SW Version numbers match anything in the drop-down box. So I had to just plug in the Model (Sorento) and year (2021). Which says, "Standard-class Gen5W Navigation"

Should I proceed?

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
624 Posts
I'm believe the update checks your media and will refuse to do the update if you try to update with the wrong code.

·
Registered
'21 Sorento SX Sapphire Blue
56 Posts
Well, after all that work getting the USB drive ready....when hitting the Update button - system doesn't recognize the files. So much for that.
However the installer says the below:
Screenshot 2021-04-17 103038.png

21 - 40 of 64 Posts