Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe the Optima will be the first official Apple CarPlay compatible Kia vehicle. There also has been some speculation that the 2016 Kia Sorento "might" get an update that enables CarPlay. However, I have the ridiculously small 4.3" LCD screen that doesn't have navigation.

1. Do you think an update allowing the stock head unit in the 2016 Kia Sorento will officially ever occur?
2. If it even does, will it ONLY apply to trims with the larger 8" LCD screens?
3. I'm considering a new 7" Pioneer (with CarPlay) navigation head unit, but I'm waiting because of the unclear status of CarPlay and the stock head units. Has anyone installed a Pioneer head unit (with CarPlay compatibility)? What's your review of it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm pretty sure u have to have the larger display. I can't wait to try out Android auto aftermarket for my sorento. Probably will get one next year.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cnet Review of Apple CarPlay

I'm not trying to start a flame war with Android users here. But for those of us who live within the Apple ecosystem, here is a "general" Apple CarPlay review by Cnet that just came out a few days ago. It's this kind of integration (even with the quirks) that I want in my 2016 Sorento. I'm fine with Apple Maps, too (even with its quirks).

Apple CarPlay review - CNET

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX V6 , 2012 Soul !
650 Posts
Any updates on this?

Will we be able to update our current systems to CarPlay when it becomes available? Is it going to be available to Sorento 2016 that have the large displays?
It is currently available as part of the latest map release for $189 from mnsoft.com

Just the software update may be made available later for free according to a customer service rep but no official announcement.

For 2016 models the update is only for models with navigation.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX Turbo
115 Posts
It is currently available as part of the latest map release for $189 from mnsoft.com

Just the software update may be made available later for free according to a customer service rep but no official announcement.

For 2016 models the update is only for models with navigation.
I looked on their site...comes to over $300 for the Canadian version, quite expensive. I will wait and hope it will be updated.

·
Registered
2016 sorento SXL
4 Posts
I just got back from servicing my 2016 Sorento... They had told me there to contact customer service as there was a UVO update that enabled car play.

When I called, they said that the update wasn't out, but WAS scheduled to be out this summer that would enable it.

She said that there would be a email sent out, or a popup on myuvo.com (depending on the email preference settings)

So it sounds like it is coming :)

·
Registered
Kia Sorento SX+
2 Posts
Carplay for Canada

I looked on their site...comes to over $300 for the Canadian version, quite expensive. I will wait and hope it will be updated.
I just got the 2016 Sorento SX+ last week and was surprised that the vehicle won't read a text message to me. My ford delivery van and the Honda Accord that I traded in even does that. I made a bunch of telephone calls to KIA and mapnsoft. The update for the software is version 10 from version 9.5 at $239.00 USD + shipping (about $330.-00 Canadian) which will then give you both Apple Carplay and Android Auto. I understand that KIA may be offering a free Android Auto update for the 2016 Sorento in the USA but nothing is planned for Canada. I'm upset that they don't treat Canadian and American customers the same way.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX Turbo
115 Posts
I just got the 2016 Sorento SX+ last week and was surprised that the vehicle won't read a text message to me. My ford delivery van and the Honda Accord that I traded in even does that. I made a bunch of telephone calls to KIA and mapnsoft. The update for the software is version 10 from version 9.5 at $239.00 USD + shipping (about $330.-00 Canadian) which will then give you both Apple Carplay and Android Auto. I understand that KIA may be offering a free Android Auto update for the 2016 Sorento in the USA but nothing is planned for Canada. I'm upset that they don't treat Canadian and American customers the same way.
My 2016 Sorento SXT will read and reply to text and email hands and eyes free. Maybe you do not have it configured correctly? I do not have CarPlay but it works with the Siri feature quite well.

·
Registered
2005 Chevy Equinox
141 Posts
My 2016 Sorento SXT will read and reply to text and email hands and eyes free. Maybe you do not have it configured correctly? I do not have CarPlay but it works with the Siri feature quite well.
Carplay vs. Siri Eyes free are two completely different beasts.

My Pioneer head unit with Carplay also does not automatically read new texts. I have to push the button/icon or tell Siri via the carplay button what to do.

But you cannot have Siri Eyes free active at the same time as Carplay. One or the other.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX Turbo
115 Posts
Carplay vs. Siri Eyes free are two completely different beasts.

My Pioneer head unit with Carplay also does not automatically read new texts. I have to push the button/icon or tell Siri via the carplay button what to do.

But you cannot have Siri Eyes free active at the same time as Carplay. One or the other.
I didn't realize that...Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX V6 , 2012 Soul !
650 Posts
The update is now on the myuvo.com web site. If you don't have map version 8.47 (sold as 9.5) or newer it will be included with the download. With the map it is about 9GB. You have to use the SD card that is already in the Sorento to install the update to from a card reader on your PC. The software version in this update is newer than what came with the V10 map update.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts