1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
Tanz. Blue 2012 Rio Sedan,Al White 2013 Toyota PriusV
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Aoi (A Blue Sedan Build Thread)

Hi Everyone,

I've been around on these forums for awhile ever since our cars started being sold and needless to say this community has very much helped my car get to where it is today.

I wanted to create a thread that I can document my car and share of the different experiences and things I've tried that may help out the other Rio enthusiasts out there on their cars.

I named her Aoi which is used to describe both the colour Green and Blue. Green being my favourite colour and Blue being the colour she is . (I spell these words with "u" cause I'm Canadian...sorry).

Up to this point most of my modifications had been cosmetic so I couldn't justify making a thread but I'm beginning to touch some performance stuff here and there so here we are.

Timeline:
May 03rd 2012 - Purchased Vehicle (18 km)
May 17th 2012 - Brenthon Badge Swap (All except wheel caps)
May 26th 2012 - Visors Installed
Jun 13th 2012 - Lip Installed
I spent a lot of money on Badminton Gear here (too poor for mods)
Oct 10th 2012 - Shark Fin Installed
Nov 07th 2012 - Winter Tires Installed
A lot of snow and rain was not a good time to do Mods
May 24th 2013 - Enkei M52/Lugs Installed
May 27th 2013 - Fog Lights JDM'd
Jun 10th 2013 - Performance 1 Plates
Jun 13th 2013 - Exterior Highlights (Blue)
Jun 10th 2013 - Art of Stance Decals (not really a mod but love it!)
Jun 26th 2013 - Tinted 5 rear windows at 20%
Jun 26th 2013 - Lowered on STORM Spring System
Jun 28th 2013 - New Decals and Slim emblem
Jun 29th 2013 - Installed Custom Axle Back Exhaust, Re-tightened springs after settling
Jun 29th 2013 - Installed New Bulbs
Jul 10th 2013 - Installed KDM Lip Spoiler
Jul 14th 2013 - NGM SRI Installed
Jul 20th 2013 - Installed Stage 2 LED plate lights
Mar 20th 2014 - Installed Evillla Strut Bar (Blue)
May 17th 2014 - SFR Stage 1 GDI Tune

Modification List:
[Installed] Brenthon Badges (Front, Steering Wheel, Rear)
[Installed] Aggressive Cut Smoke Visors
[Installed] Ez-Lip (Art of Stance)
[Installed] Shark Fin V2 (Visual Garage)
[Installed] Enkei M52 4x100 15'' 6.5 inch 38 offset (Stock Tires)
[Installed] Muteki Spline Drive Closed Blue Lugnuts 12x1.5
[Installed] Yellow Fogs Oracle 8300 Series
[Installed] Performance One Plate Covers
[Installed] Blue Trim Accents (SickSpeed)
[Installed] Storm Spring Lowering System/Paint Calipers
[Installed] 3M SC Tint 20% 5 Rear Windows
[Installed] Blue/White H4 9003 Xenon HID High/Low Beam Bulbs 8500K
[Installed] Kia Pride Slim Emblem
[Installed] Custom Axle Back Exhaust
[Installed] NGM Veloster Short Ram Intake (ImportShark)
[Installed] Interior LED Replacement
[Installed] KDM Rear Wing Lip Spoiler
[Installed] Brenthon Head Light Detail
[Installed] LED Stage 2 White License Plate Lights
[Installed] Evilla Motorsports Strut Bar (Blue) Shipped
[Installed] VicoVation Sf2 DashCam
[Installed] SFR Stage 1 1.6 GDI ECU Tune
[Sitting Under my desk] Saikou S1-OCC Catch Can
[Storage] Stock Wheels w/ SnowLeopord Winter Tires 185/65/15

[Future]Horn Splice, Mesh Grille, Vinyl Roof, New Wheel Setup

Enough words onto pictures!

The oldest picture I have of my car, I took it straight to my friends house for detailing from the dealership 5 hours later paint is completely sealed and waxed. Such a bad cell pic (Friend's C63 AMG in the back)

Here are the latest photos of my car! I will try to have pictures of mods as I have time to take pictures of them.

Thanks guys, I will update this as often as I get mods. Shoot me any questions you have!

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
464 Posts
Take it on dirt roads. Needs some mud up the side. The ghetto lip suits the car though.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Take it on dirt roads. Needs some mud up the side. The ghetto lip suits the car though.
Took it on the highway to Kamloops (Prairie City Nothing on the road) last weekend for a road trip. Went 180(km) on some parts of it surprised the acceleration was quite smooth and fast. Kept up with my friends SE-R Sentra quite well 177HP but he was in auto and had a bit more weight than me.

Im always afraid of going on dirt roads in case of getting dings and scratches. I've got a couple small things on the paint just from daily driving...clear coat is very thin unfortunately

Thanks love the ghetto lip

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
Hi, I too drive a Tanzanite sedan. EX 2012. Kept it al stock though. Question: howcome your front grille is black all the way. Have you painted the chrome rim? 1$ question: why do you do all these modifs? Excuse my ignorance but I'd like to know in your words. I probably take it all wrong but I tend to think that people who mod so much perhaps dislike the products they bought. Again, I may take it all wrong. Hope I'm not being rude.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio
85 Posts
Cant speak for Mitskuni but i mod my rio because i like to be different. In my area there are several rios that are in my town now and i like knowing that i can easily pick my car out with ease and so could a stranger. As for his grill there are two versions. In the US only EX and SX trim levels get the chrome on the grill.

I thought about getting one with the chrome but ive seen post on here about the chrome coming off on cars that aren't even a year old so i figured id stick to the all black and save some money

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
Cant speak for Mitskuni but i mod my rio because i like to be different. In my area there are several rios that are in my town now and i like knowing that i can easily pick my car out with ease and so could a stranger. As for his grill there are two versions. In the US only EX and SX trim levels get the chrome on the grill.

I thought about getting one with the chrome but ive seen post on here about the chrome coming off on cars that aren't even a year old so i figured id stick to the all black and save some money
Allo. OK. Get the idea. Different situation here. I don't see many Rios. Went on Kia.ca. I had never noticed the canadian EX and SX version had the silver chrome on the grille. The base LX has the black grille though. I've had my car for 15 months now and the chrome don't come off. For now!!! In any case, there's a definite nice sporty look to the all black grille.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hi, I too drive a Tanzanite sedan. EX 2012. Kept it al stock though. Question: howcome your front grille is black all the way. Have you painted the chrome rim? 1$ question: why do you do all these modifs? Excuse my ignorance but I'd like to know in your words. I probably take it all wrong but I tend to think that people who mod so much perhaps dislike the products they bought. Again, I may take it all wrong. Hope I'm not being rude.:rolleyes:
@Caleb Thanks for answering for me haha right on the money

I have the LX+ I couldnt justify buying any of the higher trims because later on I knew I was going to be changing everything myself, didn't really like the UVO setup and don't really like leather so the + had everything I wanted

LX and + version of the grille are black. I personally don't like chrome very much but I think on the Rio it adds a nice little highlight. I just think of domestic cars when I think chrome

I mod my car cause this is the first car I purchased and I'm quite young and also a car enthusiast. The platform may not have much aftermarket or potential but I am using it to learn things about all the different parts and setups of a vehicle. Like Caleb also said I love to personalize my things and really make it my own.

Its really a car hobby compared to others who may just want the car to get from point A to B. Hope that makes a bit of sense haha

Just got an email that Springs and Badge has been sent through EMS from Korea! Cant WAIT!!!

Great service

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Im about to do some multi posts for pictures so mods please spare me

Storm Springs Finally arrived from Korea I will right a review on the last picture

As for Reference here are my Visors they are quite different from the regular round ones. I really wanted some sleek and aggressive looking ones and I could not be happier with them

I got them on ebay for around $50 I think

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Finally got my Tint installed today again Rear 5 windows at 20% with 3M SG and I also love the look. (Illegal to tint front windows in BC period, some people still do it up to the person)

Finally the last picture of my car at stock height!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Moving on to springs these are before and after for front and rear. I took these pictures from the beginning of the lip of my 15'' WHEELS reminder if you have bigger wheels or tires it will be much closer

Front Before

Front After

Rear Before

Rear After

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Finally is this the before and after picture of the spring drop

Before

After

Review of Storm Springs Kia Rio 2012 Sedan (These are meant for the Hatch too)

I ordered these springs from Korea after doing extensive research in 5 different forums and everything that is available. These are the only springs available on market for our cars up to date unless we have a set that is interchangeable with the accent/veloster(doubtful) but after reading some of their posts there is much difference...moving on..

In terms of the drop in the front I went from 4 finger length down to about 2.5 Finger lengths without me in the car. Now I am assuming that once I let the springs settle in (I installed them today) they will be more and so will my fat ass in the car. Overall front springs are okay and what I expect.

Rear drop....OMG This is the most I have ever seen a spring drop mainly probably because these springs are more meant for the hatch because I think it weighs a little more in the rear. I went from 5 fingers in the rear to about 1.5 fingers. THAT IS NUTS! My friend who has had tons of cars before was amazed at the drop without coils. Rear drop has blown my world!

Performance: Now you must all know that I am running 15'' wheels with stock tires for ride comfort. Immediately I felt more of the road, the bumps, curves which is something that I really wanted because our cars have electric steering. I really can feel more of the road and can react better.

Turning with new springs is a lot better. I can feel the that when turning its much sharper and crisp and I am not forcing the car holding on the steering wheel to make hard turns. The tires feel like they are more well griped and control more surface area on the road when doing sharp turns. Before I had tire screech speeding through sharp corners and now thats all but gone.

Overall I love these new springs and wish I had bought them sooner on my mod list. I would definitely recommend them if you were holding out for eibach(does not plan on it yet) or H&R(R&D since 2012 not complete).

I will report back on the springs once they have settled in and dropped some more. Man does the car ever look sleek, sporty, and low the stance is great.

Overall 4.5/5 wish the front dropped a little more. Hope this helps others out there looking. -Cheers

1 - 20 of 111 Posts