Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX V6 AWD w/Sunroof, RIDES a 2012 Suzuki GSXR 600
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone with a V6 has noticed much of a hit to their MPG with a Thule or similar cargo box on the roof?
Im just wondering whether or not to leave the box on during the winter months as it will be a bit of a pain to keep putting it on and taking it off all the time.

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
wind force is not a trivial thing, and it does require a bit more power to move the air around the box

simple aerodynamic physics

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wind force is not a trivial thing, and it does require a bit more power to move the air around the box

simple aerodynamic physics
Yes, this I know.
I'm just wondering HOW big of a hit to fuel mileage people are seeing. As in actual numbers.... I know all about the physics of it.

·
Registered
2011 XM Sorento EX AWD V6
267 Posts
I a see 2-3 MPG with my Yakima SkyBox. Although, if I do 70ish and keep the green ECO light on, sometimes, just sometimes, it doesn't move at all. You're in Toronto though, the snow buildup around the box will also restrict the airflow a good bit. If you have a garage or carport, you might rig a lift above the car and use it to remove and return the box from week to week. I have this and it works great. I will try to bag a photo of it later. But it's a storage pulley ($20 - $40 on ebay or at walmart) and you put it on the ceiling above where you park. Lower it and attach to box, raise and store out of the way. When you need it again, you simply lower and lock in place. LOVE IT!!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I a see 2-3 MPG with my Yakima SkyBox. Although, if I do 70ish and keep the green ECO light on, sometimes, just sometimes, it doesn't move at all. You're in Toronto though, the snow buildup around the box will also restrict the airflow a good bit. If you have a garage or carport, you might rig a lift above the car and use it to remove and return the box from week to week. I have this and it works great. I will try to bag a photo of it later. But it's a storage pulley ($20 - $40 on ebay or at walmart) and you put it on the ceiling above where you park. Lower it and attach to box, raise and store out of the way. When you need it again, you simply lower and lock in place. LOVE IT!!!
Ya, Ive seen those. My single car garage isnt big enough for me to get the Sorento in let alone open a door to get out. Wish I could though.
We actually dont get that much snow in Toronto these days thx to all the cars on the road pumping CO2 into the atmosphere.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts