Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Sorento, Suzuki V-Strom
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used a strut tower brace? Feel any difference?

I see one seller, finedayshop, from Korea, on eBay. $80. This same vendor also offers a bunch of chrome trim items.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, but if it adds stiffness to the unibody it might be beneficial. Note that the 2014 Sorento is bragging about their standard strut tower brace. I put a strut tower brace on my Volvo, I could feel the difference, and I think it helped maintain the structure integrity for the many years we owned the car.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Being that it's a unibody, it would probably help, and there certainly is enough room on the V6 model...

That being said, the ebay one isn't going to do much. Look at the brackets that bolt to the strut towers. Very thin stamped metal, it would probably rip or bend if there ever was any appreciable amount of flex. The 350z I used to have had a stock one that did have an adjustment thread so you could preload it, but that's not the same as these cheap stamped examples.

If you look at OEM strut braces, they rarely have joints and separate plates.

04 05 06 Nissan 350Z Strut Bar Stabilizer Tie Rod Front Tower Brace | eBay

2011 2013 Ford Mustang GT Strut Tower Bar Factory Take Off | eBay

04 08 Mazda RX 8 Suspension Upper Front Strut Brace Bar RX8 RX 8 | eBay

Mitsubishi EVO 8 9 Strut Bar Factory | eBay

·
Registered
2011 Sorento EX AWD
251 Posts
Somewhat off topic, but I also have a 2013 Soul and I put an SSD STB in it. Did settle the front end down especially over rough road surfaces. Also seems to corner better and just makes the car feel more stable.

My previous 2 cars had them as well, but don't have one in my 2011 Sorento though.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento EX V6 w/premium package
25 Posts
The Strut Tower Brace really works!!!

Did research and a lot of people say a strut tower brace, especially a cheap one, is more for looks than function. Well, I decided to gamble and buy one on ebay for 89 bucks. worst case scenario, it would be decorative. Best case, I would actually notice a difference. (And yes, I was thinking it would just be decorative- I'm a skeptic by nature)

Let me tell you- I just installed it, and WOW!!!!! I'm a very happy dude! The difference is very noticeable. I live in Florida, and in my neighborhood I have a lot of washboard roads (trucks and drainage under the road). My 2013 Sorento does not behave very well on these roads AT ALL. I don't know if it's the body structure or suspension (or both), but the overall feeling is that something is moving in excess. The only word I can think of to describe it is "Jiggly".

I just drove down the worst part of the road after I installed the strut brace and the jiggle jiggle has been subdued 90%. I was so elated that I made 6 U turns just to do it again and again, all the while, I had a grin from ear to ear! A couple of added bonuses- My sorento goes over train tracks with a much more solid feel. AND, more importantly, when turning the wheel, initial turn in has improved. (when you 1st turn the wheel, the time it takes for the vehicle to lean and change direction has been reduced) It seems more direct.

Anyway, the point is, I went in thinking/ expecting this addition would just dress up the engine bay and I was pleasantly surprised by the end result. Bottom line, $89.00 free shipping isn't that much of a gamble and the pay-off for me was worth more than 300.

There is a reason the 2014 Sorento comes with a factory Strut Tower Brace, and now I know why.

·
Registered
KIA Sorento 2.2L CRDI 2010
14 Posts
Sorento 2014 owners could any one post a pics for the upper strut brace that comes installed from factory

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I wish I knew how to insert the pic of the strut brace, sorry
I'm sorry, but the brace shown in your thumbnail is ridiculously flimsy; looks about the same strength as a wiper crank extension.

To insert pictures, upload them to PhotoBucket (or similar), and reference them as a link.

·
Registered
KIA Sorento 2.2L CRDI 2010
14 Posts
This one might be good (from Ebay) link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-2012-Luxon-Strut-bar-for-Kia-SORENTO-/200811900549?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ec1526e85&vxp=mtr#ht_5283wt_1091

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah, I liked the Luxon bar because it's a one piece and it looks very strong, but remember, I was taking a gamble on the whole strut bar thing and $160 bucks plus $60 bucks shipping was too high- plus I didn't like the clearance height on that one.

Regarding the one I installed- it may look like it would bend (and I was concerned after looking at some youtube videos of some that bend too easily) but it's pretty solid. I couldn't bend it- of course if I were to stand on the end with my 230lbs, I'm sure it would.

Again, for what I was hoping for, it delivered (increase of body stiffness, plus -bonus-a slight difference in intial turn in). I'm sure the luxon would be even better, maybe even overkill- if you want a canyon carver don't buy an SUV.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento
364 Posts
Thanks for that info, I agree with you, even if its not a super expensive thick bar it should add a small level of support, thanks for the info. As I am looking into a less expensive one as well.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
The bar doesn't have to be particularly strong or rigid. It just needs to tie to the two strut towers together to enhance overall rigidity of the unibody structure. That doesn't actually require much in the way of materials strength. Counter-intuitive, but that's the way it is.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento LX GDI
1 Posts
Would love to install a strut tower brace on wifes new 2013 Lx 4cyl GDI....works reall well on my Mustang GT/CS....but it looks like it will cover the brake fluid reservoir...has anyone have any experience with this...not many choices for parts for this application..looking on ebay .. Say the cheap looking one ...looks flimsy but better than nothing i suppose... But i really do not want to have to remove it every time i want to fill the brake fluid...2014s have it ..yet to go to the dealer and see how they did it...Help

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
every time i want to fill the brake fluid
???

How often do you fill the brake fluid? Kia doesn't even recommend 2-year fluid changes, although I'll do that. The brake fluid level drops a bit as the pads wear, this is normal, and it does not have to be topped up to the max line until it is down close to the min line.

·
Registered
Bronze 2012 Sorento EX V6
14 Posts
Which one did you buy? I see one (Technica) on ebay now for $79 shipped. Quality looks ok too.

Yeah, I liked the Luxon bar because it's a one piece and it looks very strong, but remember, I was taking a gamble on the whole strut bar thing and $160 bucks plus $60 bucks shipping was too high- plus I didn't like the clearance height on that one.

Regarding the one I installed- it may look like it would bend (and I was concerned after looking at some youtube videos of some that bend too easily) but it's pretty solid. I couldn't bend it- of course if I were to stand on the end with my 230lbs, I'm sure it would.

Again, for what I was hoping for, it delivered (increase of body stiffness, plus -bonus-a slight difference in intial turn in). I'm sure the luxon would be even better, maybe even overkill- if you want a canyon carver don't buy an SUV.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento LX AWD, 2013 Kia Soul +
16 Posts
So, has anyone pulled the trigger on that luxon bar? Or know where i can find a bar at all? I have modified my sorento pretty heavily to handle additional weight. I'm wondering if this will help it handle in the corners a little better or just handle better overall?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento LX
46 Posts
i bought the technica one from ebay and have no complaints. seems sturdy enough for regular use. although regular use here may seem like offroading to some (live in pothole heaven)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Which one did you buy? I see one (Technica) on ebay now for $79 shipped. Quality looks ok too.
The one I purchased was "Topstop".

Front Bonnet Strut Bar 1P for 10 11 12 Kia Sorento R | eBay

The price has gone up since I purchased, but shipping is still free (it took 2 weeks though)

Brake fluid reservoir is accessible, removing the cap is unaffected, but you will need a funnel to add fluid.

I'm still happy with my purchase and still grin when I hit the same ruts everyday. Kia should of installed this from day one of this unibody generation.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts