Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't get my 2013 Rio5 defog to turn off the aircon. Has anyone gotten this to work? My fresh air toggle won't flash when completed... Page 4-97 of the 2013 OM.

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,807 Posts
Let me walk you through.

First, ignition on, or best yet engine running.
Second - set the air flow to windshield only (it may increase air flow automatically, some cars do that, like Rondo)

a note - you not supposed to see A/C light to come on as of now; however, make sure A/C compressor kicked in

Third - push the recirculate button (that one that says closed air circulation) at least 5 times within three seconds. As a result the light should blink.

Logic is disabled.

However, keep in mind that it may not be completely disabled, meaning when you have air setting to the floor, and then switch to windshield, A/C will kick in itself, BUT you will see the A/C light coming on at the same time. You can MANUALLY turn it off.

In 2009 Elantra I disabled it as I described above (make sure you are using the button - closed circulation, not the from far right side - fresh air allowed in - IF this did not work, try the latter one).
However, I noticed that IF I live the FAN in OFF position when restarting the car, then when I turn it back on, the A/C does not kick in (regardless of air selector position).

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
393 Posts
This is what I do on my auto climate control (see bottom of post), so different setup, but maybe same procedure? maybe hitting the a/c button at the same time is the ticket...

On my car, all this does is make it so the a/c led lights up when the position is set to blow on the windshield (when logic is on the a/c goes on, but the light doesn't light up to tell you so). So the a/c still turns on but at least the system tells you that the a/c is on, so you can turn it off if you like. It doesn't actually prevent the a/c from coming on when the air is blowing on the windshield, but at least it lets you know.

In my opinion, if the a/c is on (for whatever reason) the a/c LED light should be on too, but this is certainly not the case, especially when auto defrost comes on for the auto climate control equipped cars.

Automatic climate control system defrost logic
1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
2. Select the defrost position pressing defrost button ( ).
3. While holding the air conditioning button (A/C) pressed, press the air intake control button ( ) at least 5 times within 3 seconds.
The A/C display blinks 3 times with 0.5 second of interval. It indicates that the defogging logic is canceled or returned to the programmed status.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,540 Posts
yes, I also had this same set up my previous Kia too, but I could not see much point to changing it (at least for me), the a/c removes moisture from the air in winter and clears up the windshield much faster and its not as if you are getting cold from the a/c when its in the heat mode on the temperature setting.
Also the big factor to not change it was the fact that in the manual it suggests running your a/c about once a month during to help maintain the system better, so this way I never had to remember to do it.

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. The directions worked perfectly. Now when I turn on either floor/defrost or just window defrost, if the AC light is on, I can turn it off and just have hot air on the windows.

Love it!

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio 5-Door LX
301 Posts
I agree, if not needed the AC can be turned off and sometimes the hot air without AC is enough to keep the windshield clear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts