Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX V6
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, I have been working for a while but not have not posted anything until today. I have been a car enthusiast for over 20 years but now that I have two children I needed a bigger car than my Saabaru so I got a 2016 Kia Sorento wit leather, power lift gate and such. I love the car other than a few quirks. I couldn't be much happier honestly and it really has exceeded my expectations. I love the interior and all the nice features it has for a family. It is so smooth, quiet, and decently powerful. We take it pretty much everywhere now and my wife Audi A4 sits a lot more now.

Anyway, I am getting ready to take it on the beach this weekend. I have read up on the all-wheel-drive system and it actually sounds pretty good compared too many others. If you guys have taken yours on the beach, I was just curious how well it worked. The only issue I think I will have is with ground clearance but it should be enough. It'll be nice to load up all the babies gear and not have to carry it on to the beach! I will let you guys know how I make out.

Sorry if there are random mistakes in this text. I am using speech to text as I am feeding my baby has I write this

·
Registered
Kia Sorento SX+ 2016
97 Posts
Being in a tough winter area I was concerned about the same for this vehicle.

I can say it does pretty well; but to be honest I think my Infinity G35x was better for AWD handling and control while trying to power through corners on slippery surfaces.

Of course this isn't related to beach sand driving, but it's just my $0.02 worth.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX V6
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Being in a tough winter area I was concerned about the same for this vehicle.

I can say it does pretty well; but to be honest I think my Infinity G35x was better for AWD handling and control while trying to power through corners on slippery surfaces.

Of course this isn't related to beach sand driving, but it's just my $0.02 worth.
Our Audi and my Saabaru had better AWD systems in that regard too. The front-wheel-drive biased system in a Sorento likes to slip just a little bit before it engages the rear and it's quite noticeable to me however it did well in the snow. It's a bit of a compromise I suppose as I'm sure robs less mileage then some of the more traditional all wheel drive systems.

The Locking diff hopefully will help on the beach. That and obviously lowering the tire pressure and not driving like a moron.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX V6
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It did awesome on the beach today. The beach up away from the water was a rutted loose mess..... really sketchy. Very course stuff that doesn't really pack. I saw two wranglers and a pickup get stuck but that was probably more because the drivers are morons than their vehicles not doing well but no doubt I was nervous as I had the whole family and mother-in-law with me.

I just lowered the pressure to 15 psi, hit the diff lock button, kept it in first gear, and drove like one should on sand. We went about 1/4 mile each way after crossing the large dune.

I added a pick of my bike rack and Curt hitch for good measure. Now I just need to get a cargo carrier to keep the sand out of my car/free up some space. I had 3 adults, a 9 year old, and a baby with me today.... 4 beach chairs, a tent, a beach umbrella and a bunch of other stuff.

I was shocked just how good it did. Sure it was a bit floaty over the rough stuff and it scraped bottom in places but nothing too bad. Pulling back out form the parking spot was also a bit unnerving as there was like a 3 foot tall hill of loose sand you had to climb. It scraped going over that too.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX+ V6 AWD - 2016 SX+ V6 AWD (crashed) - 2014 SX V6 AWD (sold) - 2011 EX V6 AWD (sold)
367 Posts
Why going with cars on the beach ? Keep beaches free of cars and keep it as wild as possible. Keep walking, better for your health and beach ecosystems. Don't you think ?

I was shocked to see many US beaches invaded by cars during our holidays there. Not an habit in many other countries I visited.

Just my foreign opinion.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX V6
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Like I said because it is a hell of a lot easier than hauling all the stuff plus the stuff for an infant onto the beach. There are "wild" parts of the beach if that suits your fancy but Delaware beaches have tons of visitors and only so much space..... we are lucky we can drive on our beaches to "surf fish" and relax with the family.

I am not worried about taking a walk on the beach for exercise lol. I run, swim, bike, and lift plus train for triathlons for fitness.

The cars are not hurting anything..... there are dune crossings like every mile or so where you drive on. They are VERY strict about protecting the beaches. Lots of money is raised selling surf fishing tags and the money is used help protect the environment and for beach replenishment projects. Cars driving on the beach does no real harm.

What I question is why people buy SUVs and don't use them to go off road or why people get them in climates that dont get much snow. For most people, mini vans or station wagons are a more practical solution. Being able to drive my car onto the beach was a selling point for me. I also like to camp and sometimes need to navigate some moderate terrain. I wanted something that could seat up to 7 in a pinch but nothing as big as a minivan. Station wagons in this country are very limited as far as our choices go because people have bad taste in cars). The Sorrento it was a good fit for me

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX V6
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Glad my review helped.... i couldnt find one before i went. :)

Went on the beach again today and the Sorento did good again..... just the lack of clearance is the limiting factor in the big ruts and loose stuff. I got the feeling I was the lowest thing out there trimming off high spots here and there. It hit bottom a few times and the rear suspension arms had several inches of sand on them..... plus my hitch looks like it clipped a high spot off when I was backing in but the sand seems to shake out and blow out pretty easily. All of the true off road vehicles do not have this issue....

·
Registered
Kia Sorento SX+ 2016
97 Posts
It did awesome on the beach today. The beach up away from the water was a rutted loose mess..... really sketchy. Very course stuff that doesn't really pack. I saw two wranglers and a pickup get stuck but that was probably more because the drivers are morons than their vehicles not doing well but no doubt I was nervous as I had the whole family and mother-in-law with me.

I just lowered the pressure to 15 psi, hit the diff lock button, kept it in first gear, and drove like one should on sand. We went about 1/4 mile each way after crossing the large dune.

I added a pick of my bike rack and Curt hitch for good measure. Now I just need to get a cargo carrier to keep the sand out of my car/free up some space. I had 3 adults, a 9 year old, and a baby with me today.... 4 beach chairs, a tent, a beach umbrella and a bunch of other stuff.

I was shocked just how good it did. Sure it was a bit floaty over the rough stuff and it scraped bottom in places but nothing too bad. Pulling back out form the parking spot was also a bit unnerving as there was like a 3 foot tall hill of loose sand you had to climb. It scraped going over that too.
Oh good... because I just saw this video last night and I was concerned. It made me think of this thread.

This is the first video that I saw that wasn't all positive about he Sorento, but I actually thought his points were valid. Anyway @ 7 minutes he takes it into the sand and then gets stuck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUb7ivTftcI

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX V6
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Oh good... because I just saw this video last night and I was concerned. It made me think of this thread.

This is the first video that I saw that wasn't all positive about he Sorento, but I actually thought his points were valid. Anyway @ 7 minutes he takes it into the sand and then gets stuck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUb7ivTftcI
I just saw that too. Note how his driving skills were lacking and he is a moron. He slowed way down and turned tight.... a great way to get stuck!

I was careful to never turn tight and to keep momentum wherever possible.

You may know all of this but in case you dont, when making 3 point turns to back in, read the terrain and don't turn until you have momentum. Be smooth with the application of power and don't spin the tires. Probably most important is to air down to about 15 psi! It doesn't look like he aired down which is a BIG no no!

If you do get stuck do not spin the tires! Try to gently back out.

I drove through some really rough, rutted, and hairy stuff! I am sure I could get stuck and one day may.... but airing down and being calm and thinking you path/next move out helps a lot. I was very impressed with how even with 1,000 pounds of weight in it the second day out, the Sorento got through it without much drama. Sure it did hit bottom of few times and you could feel it really bogging down and sidestepping in ruts in deep sand but I was able to keep my speed and momentum and got right through it. When cruising I would keep the RPM's around 2000- 2500 and I suppose my speed was around 15 miles an hour although I wasn't really looked at the speedometer. At one point I had to stop in the sand on an incline as the exit over the dune was busy and I was concerned for sure but I got going again no problem.

Ground clearance was it's biggest weakness I noted. I was glad to see the sand piled up on the rear suspension arms and almost 1/3rd the way up the springs is gone.... the bumps and rain during the 100 mile drive home seem to have taken care of it.

Here is a video of my Sorento driving off the beach.

https://youtu.be/BYujaCf-4LM

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX V6
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Just an update. My Sorento has been working flawlessly on the beach other than the ground clearance is marginal. Overall, as long as the tire pressure is lowered to 15 - 17 it seems almost unstoppable. I have seen countless "big pickups", Jeeps, and SUVs stuck.... fun driving by them in a KIA. It is fairly light and if you air down, it does really well!

Anyone else and taking their on?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts