Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 sorento 3rd row seatbelt that my dog decided to chew on and it needs to be fixed before I feel comfortable using it again. As far as I know, this is fairly easy with older cars, but with new ones, I hear there's pre-tensioners involved and perhaps not as simple. Anybody familiar with this sort of repair? Is this a DIY job or not?

·
Super Moderator
6,838 Posts
This shouldn't be a big problem...
You need to search a local parts/salvage yard for a replacement with the pre-tensioner included...try car-part.com and fill in the requested info.. Even if there isn't a "hit" on the seat belt you will have salvage locations with a car near you that you can call and ask..

Most of the seat belts are bolted in with torx type fasteners and Harbor Freight should have the size in a reasonable price set...

I would suggest that you disconnect the negative terminal of your battery while working on the belt ass'y... Not so much as worrying about the explosive charge for the pre-tensioner going off BUT to keep the SRS module from reporting a bad/disconnected belt... That stored "problem" would require you to either have the SRS module replaced or reprogrammed (costly)...With out the 12v feeding the module no codes can/will be stored...When you are done then reconnect the battery.
Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fantastic. Thanks for the quick reply. The dealer wanted $400 to do it, so I'm glad it's something I can tackle myself! Off to find a seatbelt now...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
Georgethechickenboy
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing