Kia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rio5, manual, roll up windows. 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 5.9L V8
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '07 Rio5, and was wondering if anyone has had success removing the door moldings?

I'd love to smooth out the look of the car, but don't want to have holes on the side of the door.

Thanks

·
Registered
06 Rio, 136K miles
77 Posts
Have you tried removing the interior door panel and tried to see how the trim is mounted to the door? I saw a Rio missing the rubber trim on the front quarter panel and it was a square hole. I assume the trim clips in there. I'm guessing it would be removed by compressing either the two sides or the top and bottom.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you tried removing the interior door panel and tried to see how the trim is mounted to the door? I saw a Rio missing the rubber trim on the front quarter panel and it was a square hole. I assume the trim clips in there. I'm guessing it would be removed by compressing either the two sides or the top and bottom.
Thought about it, but I know better. I am good with cars, but EVERY time I have ever taken a door panel off, they squeaked 3 months later. This is my wife's DD, and she'll throw a fit if it starts squeaking... LOL

The insurance is going to do body work, I'll ask the body guy when it goes in.

Some jack-hole decided to hit and run last week, leaving the front fender like a soda can...:mad:

·
Registered
2009 Rio5 :)
33 Posts
Yes, and sometimes the window lift needs some "adjustment" too. It will leave small carrier holes, and a slight depression on the outside. Bondo, or fiber glass if you can use it is better.

You might just think about taping off the area, do a fine wet sanding 1200 grit, use denaterated (spelling?) alcohol and an adhesion promoter and use a different color paint to change it up a bit. You could also try that Plasta Dip stuff. Lots of the folks in our club are using it because if you don't like it, or get tired of it, you can peel it off.

Just a thought. Be creative, and as always, make it yours! :) (or her's...:D)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, and sometimes the window lift needs some "adjustment" too. It will leave small carrier holes, and a slight depression on the outside. Bondo, or fiber glass if you can use it is better.

You might just think about taping off the area, do a fine wet sanding 1200 grit, use denaterated (spelling?) alcohol and an adhesion promoter and use a different color paint to change it up a bit. You could also try that Plasta Dip stuff. Lots of the folks in our club are using it because if you don't like it, or get tired of it, you can peel it off.

Just a thought. Be creative, and as always, make it yours! :) (or her's...:D)
I'm thinking this coming weekend I'll take a look...

Hey, do you have a build thread on your turbo build!? I'd be real interested to see how that's going! What kind of numbers are you putting down?

·
Registered
2009 Rio5 :)
33 Posts
I am putting together a build tread at streetkiaz.

I'll give you the low down here, link it when complete, and you can check out some photos over there too. Perhaps you can help with issues also? Anyway here is how it went down.

Bought car new in 2009. Rio5 LX Base no power anything.

Delivered Mail as a rural letter carrier for the postal service out of it for it's 1st 3 years. GOT A MAIL TRUCK :D

Started experimenting. These cars have about ZERO aftermarket support, so you have to get creative.

Found a guy that had a turbo on a 2006 Hyundai Accent. He blew a piston, wanted to sell, I bought.

Came with air cooled intercooler, piping, blow off valve, GT-1548 with 8PSI internal wastegate, oil pan with drain return, oil lines, water lines, and gaskets.

His wastegate had failed causing about 20 PSI on stock pistons.

I installed... installed... and installed... I had an Eagle Talon as a kid, I thought making this baby a turbo would be a breeze. I'm still working to be where I want to be.

Long story short, with stock motor, and internals, no mods I did a 3 pass 0-100 mph dyno run with an astounding 92 wheel horse power.

While stock internals, running 8PSI at the turbo 7PSI at the manifold (-1 for the intercooler) the same 3 run trip put me at 142 whp. This also included a single 2.5 inch cat that you can literally see through and a 2.5 muffler. It has single curve, and you can see through it too. 2.5 inch front to back. All illegal in Cali I'm afraid. ECU was piggy backed, and I had tons of issues. Most are now solved.

Currently.

I had the engine bored .080 over and sleeved with forged steel? I don't remember want that process is called but they bore it, and put these super sleeves into them. They retain oil channels better, are strong as heck and can take some hella boost. With sleeves engine is .06 over and with the short rods big piston wells and the port and polish on the heads, I'm probably looking at 1.75 to 1.8 Liter.
I run 2 120 psi fuel pumps with a fuel surge tank. One is internal feeding the surge tank the other external from surge tank to the rail, then rail has a return line to the gas tank. Running 11mm Injectors on a 14mm rail using o ring spacers. Getting crapload of pressure this way.
I run a single GT-2560 Turbo, wastegate is set for normal driving at 12 -20 at track 15 - 25. I have been able to test on dyno 35PSI, but tranny does not want to cooperate on the street. My compression is 8.5/1 and if I am going to run so real boost 98 octane minimum. $$$ Everything on the car is a one off. Pistons are from Wesco, rods k2, and nitrided and ground crank. (I am trying to get another set of balanced internals from CP. We will see.) Cam is stock, spring are hard, port/polish on intake, exhaust, and valves.

NEED A CAM

Battery is mounted in the spare tire area, grounded with 1 gauge to chassis, positive is 1 gauge to front battery terminal, they are both (battery + and original battery terminal) connected together on an insulated lead rod. I have multiple 4 gauge copper wire grounds to transmission, frame, engine, body etc. No electrical issues yet.

Oil cooler is where battery was. Baffled oil catch can does the PCV without ruining my intercooler. Runs from valve cover, to can, and can to a small t leading to the turbo intake. The baffled was expensive, but my pipes are clean, and I'm not blowing out dipsticks.

Exhaust has been upgraded to 3 inch from front to back. Using a cat blank with an o2 sensor spacer.

I hated to do it, but all timing is run by MSD. Could not get ECU to work with me here. I am using a piggy back ECU for tranny control and to "modify" check engine lights, but nothing we make can light up an 8,000 rpm 30 psi 14/1 compression engine. Just was not happening. MSD it is.

Now for the problems.
I have put in an oil cooler, hi performance radiator, a turbo blanket, and a hood scoop. When I am moving I'm fine, traffic... time to pull over and turn it off. Runs too hot.

I have a turbo timer on it now. If the turbo kicks in, the poor little Kia tranny dies. I have looked everywhere for a solution for this. No Dice. Can't find a limited slip, no large thick gearing, really nothing, and yes... I have broken them. Even transmission shops take them apart, call a week later and say.. dude, I don't think I can do anything here. So I can't really get the BEAST!! I want, just the beast!

So number time, these are dynojet at 25psi which is the most I use on the street is 271 wheel horse power
We did get 342 at 35psi but it was for research only. The tranny cannot hold it on the street at all
This is a very fast spooling turbo and it sucks I can't use it to it's full potential yet. It will be a beast. Right now it leaves the line like a Rio and finishes like a Viper, but at the moment I'm getting about 7 HP per PSI, and I think we should be able to get that up to 9 with a cam, cooling, and a real tranny.
So around 317 at 25psi
and 407 at 35psi at the wheel :eek: add a 100 shot of nitrous to get you spooled up on drag night. Wow Camaro's, Mustang's, Vette's, and JDM's would have to commit themselves after being beat by a KDM WAGON with 2 car seats in the back :cool:

Thanks for the interest.
Cheers!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.