Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I recently landed a job in the Netherlands and will be moving there soon from Canada. I have a 2018 Kia Sportage and was wondering if anyone has had the experience of moving a Kia from North America to Europe and the whether the North American models are acceptable without modification.

I could sell it before I move, but I have only had it for 5 months and would likely lose money on it with the 5-year loan.

Thanks for any advice.

Regards,
David

·
Super Moderator
9,151 Posts
You'll need an import permit, and for that application you need a "certificate of conformance" from the manufacturer that confirms it meets the EU or Netherlands code.

Also you need to pay a clearing agent on that side, and exorbitant import duties and VAT etc.

I've done this with an exotic sports car, but would never consider it for a standard mass produced vehicle, its just too costly and a major amount of red tape.

·
Registered
8,501 Posts
sell it and buy something else when you get there. It will save you a lot of hassle and expense. Also Europe tends to have different engines than in Canada and the US (your 2.0L turbo engine is not available in Europe in a Sportage). Also would the warranty carry over? Shipping fees alone will run in the thousands. Newer vehicles generally come under stiffer regulations when importing into a country than old or specialty vehicles.

Regulations can change frequently so finding out what someone did a few ago may not necessary apply today, you need to do your own checking with the Netherlands authorities to find out what they require.

When you get to the Netherlands you may want a totally different vehicle due to much higher fuel and other operational costs. If you take it with you, and want to sell it later or trade you will loose even more because it's not a European spec Sportage. European Sportage's are built at the Kia factory in Slovakia. European Kia warranties are longer than they are in Canada - 7 yrs, 150k km.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Yeah, servicing beyond regular oil changes is going to be a problem. I'd be surprised if insurance wasn't significantly higher as well, because of the risk of having to source North American parts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
eflyguy
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing