Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2004 kia sorento 3.5 v6 gas
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My sorento has been idling at 1500 rpm for the last few weeks. I had kia check it and they wanted to replace the IAC motor. I ordered one for myself and installed it today and that wasn't' it. There are no codes, the tps seems to be fine, checked many other possibilities off of kia tech and I still have no solution. I checked the iac operation with the iac motor out, turned key on and off and it seems to move fine. I also started the car with the tps unhooked just for the hell of it. The idle was much lower and it did act as if the ecu was controlling it. I have checked for vacuum leaks also. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
THEY HAVE HAD ISSUES WITH THIS, ON THE THROTTLE BODY YOU WILL SEE A SET SCREWM WITH THE ENGINE WARM AC ON- SLOWLY TURN THIS SCREW BACK ABOUT 1/4 TURN, AND IDLE WILL SLOWLY COME DOWN- KIA WILL SAY THIS CANNOT BE DONE, i PROVED THEM WRONG, IT WORKED EVERY TIME, THIS SCREW CONTROLS THE IAC MOTOR ( STEPPOR MOTOR)

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,306 Posts
THEY HAVE HAD ISSUES WITH THIS, ON THE THROTTLE BODY YOU WILL SEE A SET SCREWM WITH THE ENGINE WARM AC ON- SLOWLY TURN THIS SCREW BACK ABOUT 1/4 TURN, AND IDLE WILL SLOWLY COME DOWN- KIA WILL SAY THIS CANNOT BE DONE, i PROVED THEM WRONG, IT WORKED EVERY TIME, THIS SCREW CONTROLS THE IAC MOTOR ( STEPPOR MOTOR)
It sounds like you're referring to the mechanical stop screw on the throttle valve - I would advise against doing this, and there's good reason why the manufacturer advises against doing this - best find the cause of the problem.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured it out.......I think!

I ended up making an adjustment to a screw that is located directly above the tp sensor. Ater looking at kia info tech I made the assumption that this is the idle adjust ment screw. I think it possibly had been adjusted improperly when the kia dealer put a new tp sensor on over a year ago. Anyways it idles around 800-900 rpm in neutral and the iac motor is kicking in when you put it in gear and when the ac is turned on. Hope this helps out someone else! :D

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,306 Posts
Any chance of a picture of the screw you adjusted?

The rule is not to adjust the throttle mechanical stop screw, but if someone has already done this, then of course it needs to be corrected.
KiaTech does have the procedure for resetting the throttle mechanical stop - you should make sure that the edges of the butterfly doesn't impact on the throttle body.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Throttle body

Here is a pic, it's not the best but if you look right above the tps sensor there is a little half inch nozzle sticking right above it. I think it comes from the factory with a plug in it. Mine did not have a plug because I think it has been adjusted before when the kia dealer put a new tps on it. The only way I even found out about this is by reading through a tsb on the tps. It went through step by step instructions on adjusting the new one.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,306 Posts
That is not the mechanical stop screw, but the IAC bypass, which some models use for adjusting idle RPM.

It is the mechanical stop that should never be adjusted.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
throttle body

Thanks for the info. I think this problem is finally solved............I'll just sit and wait for something to break! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks I am having the same kinda problem, I think I can see what you are talking about but maybe you could highlight the location of the screw in the pic.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks I am having the same kinda problem, I think I can see what you are talking about but maybe you could highlight the location of the screw in the pic.
The adjustment screw is directly above the throttle position sensor on the back side of the throttle body. You can see a round little tube that sticks up about a half of an inch. If yours hasn't been adjusted before it probably has a little plug on the top of it. You can also see a better picture if you search the tsb's on the sorento under tps replacement. There is a picture of somone adjusting the screw in one of the photos.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento EX V6 AWD, RIP 2003 Sorento EX 3.5L
154 Posts
Idle at 1100 RPM in P or N

Thank you timosorento!

You just confirmed what I was looking for. My 2003 Sorento 3.5L at 80,000 miles recently (6 months ago) started to Idle at 1000-1100 RPM and as per "Kia info tech" the RPM at Idle should be at 800-900. But they also show using some type of electronic scanning device to either monitor or adjust the RPM, so I was a bit scared to mess with it. But now I will right after I first clean the Throttle Body Intake and if this cleanning does not help then on to adjusting the screw.

Thank you,
Vadim.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Idle at 1100 RPM in P or N

Oh yea and also thank you Gary Coulson.

Thank you,
Vadim.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Throttle Body Intake clean, no buildup of any kind just some dust. Adjusted the screw - had to tighten it all the way down for RPM's to drop down to 900 which is the lowest it would go to.
Wondering if this will also help with a bit of better gas millage?

Thank you everyone for your posts.

Vadim.

·
Registered
03'VW Passat - mine | 03'Sorento EX 4X4 - hers
234 Posts
I also had similar situation, but after I've done TB cleaning and Sorento did threw a code - P0507 - Idle Air Control System-RPM Higher than Expected. I did a check on IAC (as described in manual) but everything was within specs. Somehow I found info regarding this adjusting screw and use my OBDII scanner, that have Live Data to set idle to 890 rpm.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts