Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really don't like the switchblade key fob for the Kia Rio5.

I want a simple key made like the Type A shown in the manual. I realize its laser cut into the side of a blank key and has to be sent out. And I have the master number.

My dealer says Kia can't do it without big problems. Probably over a hundred bucks to get a Type A. And he can't say if the simple key is chipped or not. Not the best parts guy.

Anyone ever get a key made for their 2012+ Rios?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio EX
34 Posts
Prior to losing one of my fobs, I was going to put the spare one behind the dash/in the steering column. An appropriately equipped locksmith can cut an LXP90 key blank for less than a dealer could order one for. With the chip in the car you wouldn't need to a new one in the key, but then again you are bypassing a security measure.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,507 Posts
This is the part # for a blank laser cut key, 81996 2G040. It's $19.00 from any Kia delaership, you said you have the key code, take the key black to a locksmith and have him cut it for you.

·
Registered
1999 Sportage
23 Posts
It's understandable having security over your vehicle but aren't these security keys becoming rather OVERPRICED?
"IF" I were ever to buy another new car and it had this type of costly key, I would demand 3 free keys or void the sale.
"Just my meager point about reality"

·
Registered
2014 Abyss Blue Kia Forte EX Sedan
180 Posts
Shortly after I bought my Rio, I decided I wanted a basic key to keep as a spare. I went to my dealer and told them what I wanted they told me they had a locksmith come in once a week and if I came back when they where there, I could get a key made. I did and $25 later for blank and cutting I had a basic key!

My Rio doesn't require a chipped key.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts