Kia Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
i read earlier about how the picanto A/T was kinda slow in overtaking well if you happen to own one you could try this althogh take not try this with full concentration and with a clear road up ahead hopefully ideally straight good road if you have not really tried the matics you will notice something exciting about them when you step er i mean floor the pedal thats the accelerator , so take note be careful like i said clear road preferably day time so everything bright and clear , good straight road when you have done it then you would know how to overtake on a matic . I am speaking from my experience on a take note Kia pride GTX matic , who says that the small kia matics cannot run you would be shocked. But again my warning caution when doing this be prepaired and i stress again on a good road daytime no cars up ahead. I am sure you would be amazed.



PS. BE CAREFUL IF YOU DO INTEND TO TRY IT. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Hello beejay168.

Hehehe. I have never floored the accelerator kasi nakakatakot. Why? Kasi ang bilis nyang mag-accelerate ano!

Consider the following situation, your in McArthur Highway or Aguinaldo Highway ang its a two lane road. Tapos your running at around 40 to 50 KPH kasi may malaking track sa harap mo. So you slowly ease to the left lane to overtake. Then you step on the pedal (kasi AT ang PICANTO ko) and it will wait for 2 to 5 seconds then the car will suddenly accelerate. I've tried this and the car jump from 50 to 100 while trying to overtake a 40 foot trailer truck. Factoring in the cab of the trailer ... i guess it was able to accelerate from 50KPH to 100KPH in less then 50 feet! B)

Considering I didn't even floor the car. It actually scared me kasi parang ibinabato yung kotse. :blink:

Was that the amazing thing you were talking about? ;)

EDIT: na-realize ko na medyo exagerating na ko. Pero you get my point. :D
 

· Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Originally posted by bathala@Jan 20 2005, 08:26 PM
Hello beejay168.

Hehehe. I have never floored the accelerator kasi nakakatakot. Why? Kasi ang bilis nyang mag-accelerate ano!

Consider the following situation, your in McArthur Highway or Aguinaldo Highway ang its a two lane road. Tapos your running at around 40 to 50 KPH kasi may malaking track sa harap mo. So you slowly ease to the left lane to overtake. Then you step on the pedal (kasi AT ang PICANTO ko) and it will wait for 2 to 5 seconds then the car will suddenly accelerate. I've tried this and the car jump from 50 to 100 while trying to overtake a 40 foot trailer truck. Factoring in the cab of the trailer ... i guess it was able to accelerate from 50KPH to 100KPH in less then 50 feet! B)

Considering I didn't even floor the car. It actually scared me kasi parang ibinabato yung kotse. :blink:

Was that the amazing thing you were talking about? ;)

EDIT: na-realize ko na medyo exagerating na ko. Pero you get my point. :D
If you floored it, the transmission would not have waited 2 secs to shift down and accelerate.

By the way, for all you picanto owners... a word of caution, don't take the car out for a bath... if you get your ecu wet, kiss your 50k away. For the a/t owners, 100k since you have the ecu for the efi and ecu for the a/t.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Naku! Thanks sa heads up about the ECU and road flooding ha. Thats something I have to remember.

Hmmm. So you mean if something happened and I have to cross a river or something similar (I'm planning on a trip to Samar sa holy week) and it damaged the ECU ... does that mean I have to replace the whole transmission?

Isa palang wento para sa mga PICANTO users. If you've been reading my posts, you'd know that I work in Makati. The most notable thing in Makati is how difficult it is to park your car. Unfortunately, middle management lang ako so I have to share my parking space with 4 other people. So most of the time I have to park outside the building or kahit saan basta maka-park (lalu na kung late na ko). We'll, I'm so happy (as my wife is) na compact car ang PICANTO. As in ang bilis kong mag-park at ang daming possibilities kung saan ako pwedeng mag-park (worst case scenario ko ay nag-park ako sa gilid nang hagdan). Alam nyo yung feeling na 15 minutes na lang at ma-late ka na tapos hindi ka pa nakaka-park nang kotse mo? My car actually save me from a lot of memo's. ;)

May nakikita akong isa pang PICANTO na nag-park sa VALERO Street at night. Color keyed sya na blue at naka-mags. Kung sino ka man ... hello! B)
 

· Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
the ECU is the computer that controls the fuel injection system i think it monitors the engine and other conditions like how far or how depressed the accelerator is what speed what gear in other words it the brain of the engine well i dont think it would montior if your doors are open or not at least have not seen one that does that. So if you do soak your ecu and it goes i guess the car or the brain goes dead i dont know if there is a fail safe state for it so that you can just drive the car home .
 

· Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Originally posted by bathala@Jan 21 2005, 03:45 PM
Naku! Thanks sa heads up about the ECU and road flooding ha. Thats something I have to remember.

Hmmm. So you mean if something happened and I have to cross a river or something similar (I'm planning on a trip to Samar sa holy week) and it damaged the ECU ... does that mean I have to replace the whole transmission?

Isa palang wento para sa mga PICANTO users. If you've been reading my posts, you'd know that I work in Makati. The most notable thing in Makati is how difficult it is to park your car. Unfortunately, middle management lang ako so I have to share my parking space with 4 other people. So most of the time I have to park outside the building or kahit saan basta maka-park (lalu na kung late na ko). We'll, I'm so happy (as my wife is) na compact car ang PICANTO. As in ang bilis kong mag-park at ang daming possibilities kung saan ako pwedeng mag-park (worst case scenario ko ay nag-park ako sa gilid nang hagdan). Alam nyo yung feeling na 15 minutes na lang at ma-late ka na tapos hindi ka pa nakaka-park nang kotse mo? My car actually save me from a lot of memo's. ;)

May nakikita akong isa pang PICANTO na nag-park sa VALERO Street at night. Color keyed sya na blue at naka-mags. Kung sino ka man ... hello! B)
It's something like a cellphone... don't get it wet... but if you did, unplug the battery terminal as soon as possible and just have the car towed. The ecu is just a computer box that controls the engine and another ecu for the a/t. I know someone with an opel astra that was running at high speed along edsa then suddenly he noticed that part of edsa was flooded (it was raining then) and couldnt stop in time so the car drove in to the flood and somehow the ecu got wet. He spent 100k+ just to have the ecu replaced (opel kasi - european daw... so european price din yung cost for the ecu). I think the ecu is located somewhere in the passenger side leg room. So if you need to drive thru a flooded street, just make sure the level of flood water is not higher than your ankle... better yet, just take another route.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Originally posted by beejay168@Jan 21 2005, 06:34 PM
the ECU is the computer that controls the fuel injection system i think it monitors the engine and other conditions like how far or how depressed the accelerator is what speed what gear in other words it the brain of the engine well i dont think it would montior if your doors are open or not at least have not seen one that does that. So if you do soak your ecu and it goes i guess the car or the brain goes dead i dont know if there is a fail safe state for it so that you can just drive the car home .
Depending on how bad your ecu is shot... there is a fail safe mode wherein the car will start but fuel consumption is high and engine response and performance is at a minimum. Sometimes, if you're really unlucky... the car won't start at all. You'll know when your ecu has detected a problem or is in a fail safe state when the engine check or check engine or usually a red lighted symbol of an engine in the dashboard does not go off after starting the engine.

In such case when your ecu is either defective or something wrong... don't expect your dealer or columbia motors to fix it, specially if its not covered under the warranty clause. They'll make you cough up the 50k for a new ecu but if you know someone, you can have the ecu repaired at a fraction of the cost.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
The Picanto's ECU (or rather the connector to the ECU) is located at the bottom left of the steering wheel, just under the open compartments. And I don't think the ECU of the Picanto would cost that much. I had a Sentra a few years ago that had a busted ECU and I paid around 18k for a brand new one (sa casa). But then, mahal pa din ang ECU but reliabilty has far improved compared to before.

Wala tayo magagawa because all cars nowadays have an ECU. Also the chance of a busted ECU is quite low, but the probabilty of getting it busted because of carelessness is quite high.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Originally posted by bon@Dec 1 2004, 01:15 PM
@jgotangco,

Hi. I just got my orange Picanto M/T (2nd batch) last week, and keyless entry/alarm system was installed. However, the dealer informs me that they do not know of an actuator for the power locks that will work with the rear hatch as well (no room for it, I think). Is your rear hatch wired into the central locking system? One of the few annoying things about the Picanto is that there is no remote trunk release; you have to get out of the car and unlock the rear hatch with your key.
Good pm.

I am new here and I am also planning on buying a picanto myself. Howerver, I am just curious on if the door panel of the picanto changed due to the central locks being installed? also, do you think it is possible to have power windows installed too?

Thanks.

PS> If you can also post pictures of your picantoes as well...with the accessories you installed would be greatly appreciated.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Hello bathala!

Ive just read this thread and i got interested.

Just like what beejay said, FLOOR IT! ive driven matics all my life and thats the only way to fire them. The ECU takes care of the shifting and throttling. What you really do with your accelerator foot action is TELLING the ECU how FAST you want to go.:) -a really different driving style from a manual.

Sometimes, you can even beat a manual with a driver who shifts too slowly. Matics have low shift lags kaya hindi sayang momentum.
 
41 - 56 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top