Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX V6
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most of you know, I have been taking my Sorento on the beach. It continues to do very well and maintains excellent traction. The one issue I have is in some of the really big rutted up areas/ dips and the front can hit the sand pretty hard especially if you misjudged your speed /don't see it them coming.

The other day Ibottomed pretty hard and when I got backhome I noticed the front lip and the front splash guard misaligned and a bunch of sand got stuck up in there. Things got bent out of place but I was able to bend them back and all is pretty much good. I can see some stress in the plastic in a few places so I am going to have to be more careful in the future. The plastic splash guard is a joke and not very strong. I think in the next year or two for sure I will likely have to replace it if I bottom out hard a few more times.

I was looking for skid plates for our cars with limited success. I found a company in Lithuania that says they make them but I am still gathering information. Once I get the information, I will share it here.

Does anybody know of where you can get a skid plate in the US?

·
Registered
2016 Sorento AWD 3.3L LX, not mine ;)
380 Posts
Like this.....:laugh:
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle registration plate Signage

Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Auto part Transport

If you find one, please let us know!
I have one this for GTI because of bit lower with Ohlins damper and Eibach spring.

Auto part Vehicle Tire Car Bumper

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX V6
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well, it sounds like the shipping will be quite pricey to send an individual unit.... below is the email I received.

It would be sweet if KIA aftermarket parts company would order 20 of them and we could order from this company, but I don't if that is going to happen. Anyone know a big Kia parts company that could be interested? I doubt there are enough people on this form alone to demand 20 untis.....

I wonder how much shipping would be for something like this. It is probably more than I am willing to spend.

It looks like a nice skidplate.... somethi like this is exactly what I want. They look like they make a nice product. I guess the 2015 Sorento in Europe is the 2016 here.... it did come out very early to be a 2016.

I haven't had the splash guard off to see where the 4 front bolts mout to... hopefully it is something strong.

Here is his email:

"Skidplate fits to the exsisting fitting points. No need to drill. Steel plate costs ( 2,5 mm): 190 EUR Aliuminium (5mm) – 395 EUR But I belive it will be to expensive to ship just 1 pcs to US. If you would buy a pallet ( 20 pcs ....) it would make more sense to do it. As I would give a better price for it."

Robertas Aukščiūnas

UAB ‘Ronika ir Ko’
Veiveriu str. 61A
LT46360 Kaunas, Lithuania
Mob. +370 615 90490
www.HardmanTuning.com
www.Hardman.lt
www.facebook.com/Ronikairko
Hardman_logo_CMYK
fb

Attachments

·
Registered
'16 Sorento EX
23 Posts
It would be sweet if KIA aftermarket parts company would order 20 of them and we could order from this company, but I don't if that is going to happen. Anyone know a big Kia parts company that could be interested? I doubt there are enough people on this form alone to demand 20 untis.....
Just google "kia parts online". There are a number of companies that offer both OEM and aftermarket parts. If you contact a few of them, you will probably find at least one that would be willing to order. And if you can get some others from the forum that would agree to order, maybe that would be the incentive they need to order from the manufacturer.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento AWD 3.3L LX, not mine ;)
380 Posts
Just google "kia parts online". There are a number of companies that offer both OEM and aftermarket parts. If you contact a few of them, you will probably find at least one that would be willing to order. And if you can get some others from the forum that would agree to order, maybe that would be the incentive they need to order from the manufacturer.
I can not find any real skid plate for 2016 Sorento......OP is looking for steel under body skid plate, not like plastic.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX V6
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is another one from Germany.... but with shipping it would be close to $500..... and it says it is for the diesel Sorento.

https://www.vmaxx.de/motor-unterfahrschutz/kia-sorento-vm03450

Man.... maybe with time someone will make one. I would with today's technology that it would be easier than ever to make them.....

·
Registered
'16 Sorento EX
23 Posts
I wasn't suggesting that OP could find skid plate on those sites, but that one of those sites might be willing to place an order for a full pallet from the overseas producer and in turn offer them to their customers.

·
Registered
Sorento 2016
1 Posts
Well, it sounds like the shipping will be quite pricey to send an individual unit.... below is the email I received.

I wonder how much shipping would be for something like this. It is probably more than I am willing to spend.

It looks like a nice skidplate.... somethi like this is exactly what I want. They look like they make a nice product. I guess the 2015 Sorento in Europe is the 2016 here.... it did come out very early to be a 2016.

I haven't had the splash guard off to see where the 4 front bolts mout to... hopefully it is something strong.

Here is his email:

"Skidplate fits to the exsisting fitting points. No need to drill. Steel plate costs ( 2,5 mm): 190 EUR Aliuminium (5mm) – 395 EUR But I belive it will be to expensive to ship just 1 pcs to US. If you would buy a pallet ( 20 pcs ....) it would make more sense to do it. As I would give a better price for it."

Robertas Aukščiūnas

fb
I've been trying to hunt down a skidplate myself. Did you ever find a solution? I have been driving in deep snow, and everything works well except for the fact that the papery tray thing keeps ripping and dragging.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
2,374 Posts
Last post 2 years old, but still good to review this.
1/4" aluminum with good coverage for US$309 isn't a bad deal, either. Unfortunately, the shipping to North America on that much metal, even aluminum, is a little steep (US$84) since they're made in Israel and only sold from there or from Europe. In the end, I couldn't go the $400, and keep hoping something domestic shows up while I can still make use of one for a couple of years.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento EX V6 AWD
9 Posts
I got tired of the paper splash guard ripping out on me. I have the ASFIR skid plate on order -- should be here in a few weeks (not currently in stock so it's taking longer). I'll update here once I've got it installed with any notes on the install and limited clearance/accessibility.

The other option I found was a steel one made by Kolchuga -- a Ukrainian company, I think? The cheapest I could find it was for $229 including shipping, here:

I chose the ASFIR over the Kolchuga for 2 reasons:
1- I don't want to worry about the steel rusting out on me
2- The Kolchuga is only 12 gauge -- so I'm thinking the .25" aluminum should be stronger.

If anyone here decides to go with the Kolchuga, you may not be 100% convinced it will fit your car after reading the description -- I wasn't. I reached out, and an email directly from Kolchuga said that part #2.0574.00 should fit my vehicle (2017 EX V6 AWD). Good luck and keep us posted if you go that route.

·
Registered
2018 Sorento LX V6 AWD Conv. Pkg. Tech Pkg.
210 Posts
Please report back how the install goes with the ASFIR plate!

Also, will there be any added difficulty in oil changes with removing/reinstalling the plate?

·
Registered
2017 Sorento EX V6 AWD
9 Posts
Had mine on for about a month now.

I was a little nervous about the condition it would arrive in after being shipped from overseas, but it was extremely well packaged. It was a bit of a bugger to get in position and bolt on by myself, but doable. I had to prop one end up roughly in place with a box while I held and put a bolt on the other end. After staring at it for a while, you’ll figure out the install instructions and supplied hardware aren’t quite right. The numbers of bolts doesn’t add up, and their instructions say to use the incorrect hardware in a place or two. I couldn’t get all my bolts in anyways-- 2 of them didn’t quite line up (pictured below). My biggest gripe is the plate is supposed to be threaded to bolt on the 2 access covers, but the cover for the oil drain plug access wasn’t threaded. Guessing mine was just somehow missed during machining. I'm going to have to figure something out to get mine on.

Even with these couple issues I’m pretty pleased with the product. Definitely a huge step above what was there (or what was left of it). Clearance is probably slightly increased now, even.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts