Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Optoma Hybrid (Light graphite)
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching the net trying to find any indication of KIA releasing a turbo version of the RIO in North America. I found an article Kia 2013 Cerato Koup - Kia to turbocharge | GoAuto dated a few months ago that gives a little hope. Looks like the Forte/Cerato may get the turbo before the RIO.:(

I was hoping to upgrade at the end of the year to the RIO Turbo Sport!! :gunsmilie:

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
463 Posts
Kia are putting a turbo in the Rio line up for Europe and in Australia one of the main Kia guys said the turbo Rio wont be using the 1.6 engine. The turbo 1.6 they were keeping for a C segment car (Cerrato/koup).

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
It's a bit weird to not use the 1.6, it's a great motor that likes to rev and would be a rocket with a hairdryer bolted on.. It would seem odd to use anything smaller, like the Polo GTi 1.4 with supercharged and turbocharged induction.

I'd be perfectly happy if they put a 1.8 or higher in though

·
Registered
Race Blue MY12 Skoda Octavia RS TDI Manual
929 Posts
The Polo GTI has a 1.4ltr twincharge that pumps out 132kW, but requires RON95 fuel.

The Twincharge is also used in larger models, like the Golf, Tiguan and Passat (I think)

I could see Kia using a 1.4ltr turbo, or even a 1.2 or something. The Rio's a light car and wouldn't need all THAT much to get up and go.
Well, maybe 1.2 is a bit of a stretch.
The Skoda Fabia and VW Polo both have a 1.2ltr turbo 77kW "77TSI" engine as stock, bottom-end. 0-100 is about 10sec.

What I would love to see is a small capacity V6, or something.
Can you say 1.8ltr V6 Rio? XD

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
doing a dual setup, supercharged/turbocharged like the Polo would in my opinion make the Rio too expensive to engineer.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Rio turbo will have the same powerplant as the new Veloster turbo does. Since the standard N/A Veloster uses the same 1.6 GDi from the Rio already, and the new Veloster turbo is said to be a turbo'd Gamma 1.6, there is no sense in using anything but that engine in the Rio, it's already done, and they shared the same normally aspirated engine anyway.

I could well be wrong, but it makes sense. Here's some info on the Veloster turbo anyway:

2013 Hyundai Veloster Turbo priced for bargain perfomance addicts - SlashGear

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That turbo Veloster looks nice! Maybe Kia won't let me down. If they do, I may rollover into a Turbo Veloster or Kia Forte redesign. 201 horsepower in a car this size would be just plain exhilarating!

·
Registered
Race Blue MY12 Skoda Octavia RS TDI Manual
929 Posts
That turbo Veloster looks nice! Maybe Kia won't let me down. If they do, I may rollover into a Turbo Veloster or Kia Forte redesign. 201 horsepower in a car this size would be just plain exhilarating!
And then you remap the ECU for moar killerwatz.

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
Years ago, I had just bought a turbo car.

The next week I got a job with a 50 mile commute, all expressway. 1 block drive to get on, 1 block off to work. Cruise control for all 50 miles.

Never needed to punch the pedal, even once. Cruise at 65 the whole time. Never got to feel the turbo boost. Dumbest dang commuter car I ever had.

That's why I just bought this 40mpg non-turbo car. So I'll never be frustrated having neck snapping power I can't use.

I pray they never put a turbo in a Rio5. I will be so mad. I'd quit my job and take one on top of the tallest hill I could find just to spool up that turbo on the way to work. (And heaven help me on the way home) :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just bought a 2012 Rio 2 months ago -- 4 door, awesome little car.

If they came out with Tubo anything -- do you think we'd be able to retrofit them onto existing non-turbo cars?

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
Off the top. Doubt it. Our 1.6 N/A uses an 11:1 compression ratio. Too much for a turbo. I would expect any 1.6 GDI-T to have a different CR down to 9:1 or so. Probably dished pistons or taller heads. Something that doesn't bolt right up. Have to wait and see the specs from the Veloster T.

IMHO.

A weekend bolt-up turbo system would be nice though. :)

BTW, my Scion xA is rated at 100HP so with the rio5 I'm getting a 38 HP upgrade. I'm OK with that.

And accelerus... They drive at least 100mph around the DFW outer beltway. I darn near died in my xA. Is 138hp enough to get you around safely?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Off the top. Doubt it. Our 1.6 N/A uses an 11:1 compression ratio. Too much for a turbo. I would expect any 1.6 GDI-T to have a different CR down to 9:1 or so. Probably dished pistons or taller heads. Something that doesn't bolt right up. Have to wait and see the specs from the Veloster T.

IMHO.

BTW, my Scion xA is rated at 100HP so with the rio5 I'm getting a 38 HP upgrade. I'm OK with that.

And accelerus... They drive at least 100mph around the DFW outer beltway. I darn near died in my xA. Is 138hp enough to get you around safely?
Interesting, one of my coworkers retrofit a turbo to his Soul. He claims it will haul ass now!:lol: I wonder what the compression is on it? I guess I can do some research.

·
Registered
71 Posts

IMHO.

I gotcha -- I would never consider turbo'ing my 2012 Rio unless it was pretty much bullet proof.

Yup in DFW we drive fast -- I'm usually cruising at around 85. My other ride is 08 Z06 pushing around 535HP so it's definitely a bit different having to plan my acceleration out like that. hah Other than that I generally have no issue with safety or speed. I'm usually the guy that's driving faster than everyone else anyways.

·
Registered
2013 KIA Soul, 2013 KIA Rio 5 Door
84 Posts
You know, I always wanted to do some stuff to my 09 Kia Sportage. It was an excellent vehicle all around minus the gas mileage it got. I did actually find out it used the same V6 as the Hyundai Tiburon which they built a supercharger for. A bit out of my price range, but if it's the same 1.6 as the turbo Veloster, I see aftermarket companies catching up within the next year to make aftermarket parts for the Rio as the redesign seems to have made it really popular.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts