Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage LX
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at picking up a kayak, So I am also considering the best way to carry it around.

I need cross bars and probably some other attachment to help secure the boat.

Have any of you done this? Any suggestions?

Looks as thought the antenna will have to come off if it lays flat. also wondering about the bow strap, where to attach it to the front of the sportage. Maybe the tow hook?

·
Registered
2012 SX Sportage
180 Posts
I bought the cross bars from the dealership and just strapped it down. It held good on a 3hrd drive down the interstate.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage EX, 2002 BMW Z3 3.0i
10 Posts

·
Registered
04 M-B CLK500 Convertible and 14 Kia Sportage EX, leather and pano roof
127 Posts
We carry two Future Beach 126 yaks on Thule X-bars. Bought the J carriers, but easier just to strap to the x-bars! No issues with antenna as the boats are on either side of it. No issues so far. Going fishing tomorrow!

·
Registered
2012 SX Sportage
180 Posts
Here's the thing...the Hyundai cross bars are kinda on the tall side. I've seen some cross bars that are low profile that might give you an issue with the antenna/hatch.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX FWD
10 Posts
Kayak on Sportage

I have a cross bar kit that I purchased from Loading Ramps, Hauling, Transport, & Skateboard Ramp Superstore - Discount Ramps.com for about $40 bucks. Works great. It's a little loud, but beats the price of the Thule/Yakima equivalents. I just bought a J-Bar Kayak rack off ebay for $48 and have carried multiple kayaks, the longest being about 9ft, longer ones would probably be fine. Not sure if my pic is going to work, email me here and I will be happy to forward pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage SX AWD
25 Posts
Inno Racks INOINA724 Universal Ratcheting Straps

they attach to the oem crossbars, you can put the kayak upside down and strap it down, I use these to carry a ladder for work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts