Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013 LX I4 GDI AWD, 2006 S2000
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to add interior lights to my console that turn on with the dash lights for night visibility. I am considering adding LEDs in the cup holders. Is there any DIY info regarding the addition of interior lights that can be controlled by the dash light dimmer?
TIA.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
I've been wanting to do this too. The EX Luxury and up models have a little LED accents around the interior...most notably along the doors and in the little cubby hole by the iPod jack. The only issue of adding LED's would be, as you mentioned, dimming them. I would be encouraged to get ahold of a wiring diagram and see where the power goes into the climate controls or something like that. LED's draw such little power that I doubt it would pop a fuse by tapping into the wiring there. This way you can dim the LED's along with the rest of your interior lights. Worth a shot.

If you look in the cubby area by the iPod jack, you will see a small blank square a little bit above the iPod jack. That is where the LED goes for the EX Luxury models and up. That's a good spot to add an aftermarket LED if you choose to do so.

In the cup holders, just make it so the LED faces frontward. This way it doesn't blind you.

·
Registered
2013 LX I4 GDI AWD, 2006 S2000
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks RentoEX. I guess I just need to engineer up and review schematics.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've been wanting to add LEDs to the cupholders as well, but I'm not sure that I would be happy with a single LED. What I'd really like to do is take the cupholder out and modify it with a thin, diffused ring of plastic that smoothly joins with the current diameter of the cupholder. Then I'd be able to add a number of LEDs around the perimeter of the cupholder to try to give it an even ring of light near the top.

The problem is, I have no idea how to do this.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento EX V6 Luxury
89 Posts
I had Red LED on the front and back on my 2012 Sorento. Am going to have the put in on my 2013, going with red LEDs also. In my 2013 it has LEDs on the door handles, so am going to add them on the floors(front and back) and cup holder. I'll have it wired into to the headlight switch so they come on with door handle LEDs at the same time. On the cup holder I plan to have 2 small holes one the bottom and LEDs in them. The floor am going with LED strips, check out ebay and take a look at youtube for some ideas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts