Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Sorento & 2014 RAV4
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just went through the god awful Apple Carplay upgrade ritual. When it finally finished I get this error message:

Failed to Authenticate Navigation​

The website says if this happens, do it all again. Arggg. I've now done it three times and still the same error message.

Has anybody made this upgrade work?

·
Registered
2016 Sorento & 2014 RAV4
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No. It was suggested by a KIA representative that I use a different card in case it went wrong -- which is has.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX V6 , 2012 Soul !
698 Posts
No. It was suggested by a KIA representative that I use a different card in case it went wrong -- which is has.
That's why it's not working. The way the update from Kia works that you download is that you have to use the card in the car. The SD card has an encrypted portion on it that authorizes the map. A regular SD card will be missing this and it cannot be copied from card to card.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento & 2014 RAV4
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First, as I explained, a KIA Representative told me to use any card but the original.
Second, given that this failed I'm not going to gamble with the original card. If it fails, I'm without a navigator. Apple CarPlay isn't important enough to take that risk.

·
Registered
698 Posts
First, as I explained, a KIA Representative told me to use any card but the original.
Second, given that this failed I'm not going to gamble with the original card. If it fails, I'm without a navigator. Apple CarPlay isn't important enough to take that risk.
It failed because you used a non-supported card. The person that told you to use a different card is wrong. The instructions on the web site tell you to use the card from the car for a reason. The card in the car contains the authorization necessary to use the map. Any plain old SD card does not. The authorization portion of the card is not affected by the upgrade. This is how they prevent people from copying and sharing the maps. Your other option is to purchase a new map card (www.mapnsoft.com) and that will come with the updated software to support Android Auto and CarPlay.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL AWD 2.0T
119 Posts
Worked for me. 2016 SXL. I even did it while driving. I downloaded the installer to my laptop. Updated the card in my laptop via the program. Then stuck it in and let it upgrade while I was driving. No issues and it was fine before I got home. And that's not the recommended way to do it but the car works fine without the head unit and it took about 20-30 minutes. I wasn't going to leave the car running as they suggest just to update. Hence why I drove home after work.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX AWD (White Pearl)
154 Posts
I am running into the same issue and I'm using the same card that came with my car. I actually updated the maps back when I first got my car but noticed there was an even newer update while I was trying to trouble shoot why my ipod kept resetting. Running into the same issues as OP and using the same SD card that came with the vehicle.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX AWD (White Pearl)
154 Posts
Welp, figured out the issue after troubleshooting and calling the help line. I guess I entered the wrong device ID on accident. I had to reset the authorization file on the SD Card. OP probably has the same issue.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Welp, figured out the issue after troubleshooting and calling the help line. I guess I entered the wrong device ID on accident. I had to reset the authorization file on the SD Card. OP probably has the same issue.
The activation process for downloaded maps purchased is different. You can use any SD card with those as they are activated using the device ID and VIN.

The free update from Kia back in 2016 requires the original card from the car because it uses the secure portion of the card to authorize it. You could take that card and put in any Sorento and it would work. The purchased downloads will only work on the radio they are bought for.

The OP wouldn't have a problem with authorization if they used the original card from the car.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SXL-T AWD, 2018 Kia Sportage SX
29 Posts
I just went through the god awful Apple Carplay upgrade ritual. When it finally finished I get this error message:

Failed to Authenticate Navigation​

The website says if this happens, do it all again. Arggg. I've now done it three times and still the same error message.

Has anybody made this upgrade work?
I just recently purchased a 16 SXL-T and upgraded to Apple CarPlay with no issues using the original Navigation SD Card.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX V6
4 Posts
Help!

Fellow Sorento Owners!

I just bought a used 2016 Kia Sorento SX (it's awesome BTW). It is eligible for the Apple Carplay update, however, it looks like Kia has removed the link to download the installer. It says the update is FREE if you go to MyUVO.com, but MyUVO.com does not exist anymore! It redirects to the official Kia owner's portal.

Do any of you other 2016 Sorento owners have that installer file? My S/W version is ST.UM.USA.E483.151002.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX
1 Posts
i_am_jim I think you better leave this alone. All you have to do is read the information about the update and it tells you plain and simple to not use a different sd card but the one thats from your car.

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2016
3 Posts
Fellow Sorento Owners!

I just bought a used 2016 Kia Sorento SX (it's awesome BTW). It is eligible for the Apple Carplay update, however, it looks like Kia has removed the link to download the installer. It says the update is FREE if you go to MyUVO.com, but MyUVO.com does not exist anymore! It redirects to the official Kia owner's portal.

Do any of you other 2016 Sorento owners have that installer file? My S/W version is ST.UM.USA.E483.151002.

I am having the exact same problem!! Just bought mine yesterday .. did you ever find a solution??

1 - 20 of 27 Posts