Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX AWD V6
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently traded in my 2011 Sorento AWD SX for a 2014 Sorento SX 2WD.
There was an offer and I jumped on it, now kind of regretting it.
Now after having 2 months with the car I do notice several differences in the 2 cars that make me want to go back to my 2011.

Driving and stability:
Im not exactly sure if the main differences come from the new GDI engine,
but every time I accelerate to pass a car on the road, My front wheels slightly loose control for a brief moment.
Same when I do a sudden break I feel the car swerving a bit left and right.
Both of these were not apparent at all in my 2011.

Hydraulics:
Now, my 2011 was no smooth ride. But it didi grow on me
Compared to my dads Honda pilot which had a much bouncier,
I always was happy to get back into my tighter ride.
But the 2014 sorento's hydraulics seem even stiffer, to a point where you really feel each bump quite hard. like "is something wrong with my car", kind of wrong.

Audio//UVO
Ok..Although there are some major improvements here, there are also some major fall backs. The Uvo is just a great new upgrade over all from my 2011, but Im not entirely sold on sound quality.
I have to say I think the 2011 sorento had better sound over all.
But especially when streaming audio through Bluetooth.
This is almost unusable in the 2014 as the sound quality going through my Iphone 5 using IOS 6.12 has static especially in the high frequencies.
I am not sure if everyone has this issues with the blue tooth sound,
But I did not have this horrible sound quality coming out of my 2011 sorento,
and Im not sure how you sell a vehicle with a product sounding that bad.

All in all with these points make me really regret upgrading to a 2014, but feeling like I downgraded. I am no mechanic or car expert, just a consumer driving, but I do have my experience with my 2011 to compare with my new 2014.
There are lots of nice upgrades in the 2014 such as the new moon roof, I think the mpg is much better then my awd.
I take them into account but, handling, and audio experience to me they backtracked.

Sorry for the long post, hope anyone finds this interesting and would share their thoughts too.

·
Registered
2016 KIA Sorento SX+ 7 seater
559 Posts
I can't comment from perspective of trading in a 2011 Sorento though Goose38 who is very active on this forum just traded his in last Tuesday for an SX.
I would offer a couple of points on yours:
1. Driving a stability. Steering has changed over to electric from hydraulic. While electric does have it's benefits there are many who feel hydraulic is better. You may be seeing the impact of this.
2. Bumpy ride. In part this can depend on wheel size. I believe yours has 19"; don't know what you had in the 2011. My understanding is the bigger they are, the lower aspect is the tires and the "firmer" is the ride. Love that term "firmer" as if it is a positive term; perhaps for sport driving around corners.
3. Re bluetooth audio. Have not used a lot as prefer to use USB drive as don't have a lot of music on my blackberry torch. When I have used the torch, can't say I have noticed adverse sound, similarly with a samsung galaxy that has been used a few times. I should point out that I don't know the details of differences between Canadian and U.S. as we do not have E Services. Whether that makes any difference to bluetooth audio, i don't know.
4. I had an opportunity to get a 2013 but waited until the 2014's came out; glad I did for the many improvements.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX FWD, 2014 Soul !
19 Posts
I traded a 2011 loaded EX (the SX's weren't available yet when I bought), so I don't have the exact circumstances that you do. We can't get over how much better the 2014 SX is from both a driving and amenity standpoint.

I do know what you are talking about regarding the steering - the electric is an "acquired taste" - but since I don't push the vehicle that much, it doesn't make that much difference to me. The sport setting satisfies whatever need I have in that area.

The ride in my new SX is so much better than the previous, even though I have 18 vs. 17 inch wheels now. And the overall driving experience is a definite upgrade. Add in the new sunroof, better electronics, better sound, blind spot system and a dozen other smaller upgrades, and we couldn't be happier with our choice.

We leased our 2011, because it was our first experience with Kia. We bought this one, as well as an Optima 18 months ago. I have become a firm believer in Kia and especially this new Sorento. My neighbors with their $50k MDX are jealous!

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX+ V6 AWD - 2016 SX+ V6 AWD (crashed) - 2014 SX V6 AWD (sold) - 2011 EX V6 AWD (sold)
367 Posts
I had a 2011 Sorento EX AWD and now got a 2014 Sorento SX AWD.

I do not regret one second my 2011 :

- Better behavior of the shocks on bumpy road (much more progressive)

- Better braking behavior (more responsive)

- Stiffer direction in sport mode (go very straight on highways that I used the most)

- New engine with GDI

- Much better mileage

- Better look inside and outside

- New features (memory seats, HID lights, blind spot detection, panoramic roof, etc.)

Did not hear any specific problems (even if not best quality on earth) using my iPhone 5 via Bluetooth.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX AWD V6
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im glad every in here is so happy with their trades, and im the only sour puss in here. And please dont gete wrong cus i do love the sorento in general. And i do like the new features too like the pano roof and uvo maps and blind spot.
And i do get better mpg too. All appreciatted
I feel like may I rushed into my trade, and perhaps my vehicle has its own alignent issues, who knows.. But my 2011 felt more stable to me.
When i test drove it, The roads were very smooth and slow urban driving.
Thanks everybody

·
Registered
2014 Sorento / 2012 MKZ
8 Posts
2014 vs 2011 Sorento

Just went from a 2011 to a 2014 Sorento LX, and there is no looking back. We did love the 2011, but the 2014 rides so much better, and is so much more refined.

Still getting used to the UVO, and I don't like not having actual preset radio buttons, you have to press a button on the display to see the presets, but everything about this car is improved, steering, stability, and definitely the ride.

Even got third row seating on the model we picked, seats are a little small in third row, but the interior is great overall.

We're glad we went for the newer model, and we got a great deal too!

·
Registered
14 Kia Sorento (V6 EX AWD), 2013 Nissan Altima SV
293 Posts
I kind of regret trading in my 09 Borrego on a 2014 Sorento (EX V6 AWD). Time will tell however.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX (Canada)
120 Posts
I'm not sure how the other sound is on Sorentos, but with the Infinity speakers, and a bit of EQ adjustment on my phone, the sound is stellar.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts