Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Corolla 1996, Corolla 2009, Soon Sorento
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a phone call from my dealer today who told me to bring in my vehicle (2.4 GDI engine 2013) for an ECM upgrade. I asked him if it was the TSB 122 aimed at smoothing out the idle speed but he told me it is the newer TSB 157 that is for the idle speed but also for improved fuel economy.

I looked for this TSB 157 on kiatechinfo but did not find anything about it

anybody has heard of this new TSB 157?

My appointment is not until next week

·
Registered
13 Sorento LX
42 Posts
Haven't heard of 157, but I just had 122 done last week and have noticed a much smoother idle and fuel economy has improved by almost 1 MPG (average).

157 may be a small change to 122, or the service person that called got the number wrong. Either way, ECM upgrades are usually a good thing.

·
Registered
Corolla 1996, Corolla 2009, Soon Sorento
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I finally got the firmware update done. On the invoice, it is described as SA157 campaign to fix the rough idle issue. I have driven the car since yesterday and I think it is worse than before. I did not have any rough idle issue before the software update but now, whenever I stop at a red light, with the transmission in Drive and my foot on the brakes, the car shakes. If I put in Neutral, the vibrations disappear.

I have not noticed any change in fuel economy either (relying on the computer display), with my urban driving in Montreal through lots of traffic lights and through residential areas with stop signs every corner, the mpg reading is still averaging about 14-16 L/100km or (14 mpg). I have about 4,000 km on the odometer and the dealer said to wait until 15,000 km to see an improvement, that is about one year of driving for me.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento 2.4 w/Manual 6spd
273 Posts
Man that is complete crap, there is no way you should have to wait for a year for your new car to produce fuel efficiency numbers close to posted numbers. Someting is seriously wrong. The advice "efficiency will increase as the engine breaks in" is only true to a small extent, you might see a minor .5 to 1.0 mpg increase over the course of the first year of driving but thats it.

We have the normally aspirated 2.4, its been an incredible power plant and has returned amazing efficiency from day 1, I haven't seen any big changes over time. Amazingly our efficiency reads around 8.5 L/100 in town, and as low as 7.8 on warm highway trips with our manual trans 6-spd.

14-16L/100km efficiency indicates that either you drive like a maniac, or theres a problem with your powertrain. I'm just saying, don't let your dealer dismiss your concerns, this is not right and they need to figure out how to make this right. Drive it for a couple weeks with the new program update, and if it doesn't vastly improve I'd take it back to the deaelr

1 - 7 of 7 Posts