Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine will come on during normal sunny days but won't be on during dark, gray, rainy days. They always come on at night but otherwise their behavior is ridiculous. The sensor is not blocked in any way. I may just stop using the auto setting.

·
Premium Member
Spicy Red Optima SX, Mazda6 Wagon
168 Posts
Mine will come on during normal sunny days but won't be on during dark, gray, rainy days. They always come on at night but otherwise their behavior is ridiculous. The sensor is not blocked in any way. I may just stop using the auto setting.
I've noticed similar oddities in auto headlight operation, but its no big deal to me. Yeah, I wish they came on automatically on rainy days, but it is quite safe to just leave the switch on the "On" position full-time. They will still turn off when the car is turned off.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,928 Posts
05,06,07 Spectras had similar problems with them comming on by themselves but usually at night when we Spec owners were sleeping... We'd find the battery drained in the morning... The BCM had a "bug" in the software code that a dealer update corrected...
You might check with the dealer about a free update...
Dave

·
Registered
11 Optima EX 2.4, 04 F-150, Burgman 650, V-Star Midnight Custom
148 Posts
Before my Optima, I had automatic headlights on a Buick Park Avenue, Lincoln Towncar, Ford F-150 and a Chevrolet Impala. They all had the same problems and I even changed the sensor on the Impala. The problem is worst in the fall and early winter. I understand it is a certain ray that triggers the sensor rather than just the darkness. All of mine have been on brightly on some sunny fall days. I think it is the nature of the critters.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts