Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, New poster here...

I've been doing my research into buying a 2nd hand sedona, probably about an 03 reg with 50K ish on the clock.
I've come accross a few scary stories about the breaking up delphi diesel pumps causing £4000 worth of fuel system to be replaced. Is there any way to avoid this? For example, some vehicles might have dodgy gearboxes on models registered between two specific dates, or an engine issues on models between two certain VIN numbers?

Any clues? From what I've read it seems to have happened to people accross the range from low mileage 06's to higher mileage 02's. Would a comprehensive after market warranty cover this problem maybe?

Other than this issue I really fancy one for towing my caravan...:)

·
Registered
07sedona lx 2000 nubira 74 beetle 86 cbr1000 honda 93 harley lowrider 94 trooper 72 scimitar
483 Posts
there dosent seem to be any rhyme or reason behind pump failure have been tales of dodgy batcches of pumps but never any mention of ways to identify which batch(s) is likely to fail but a couple of bits of info i have picked up
common rail pumps are very intolerant of water and diesel does contain water hence the water seperator on the fuel filter
low sulphur diesel does not lubricate pumps very well leading to quite a few failures after the introduction of uls diesel
so a couple of suggestions to help protect the pump
change the filter regularly and drain the sedimeter
use a fuel additive to lubricate the pump (cooking oil my personal favorite)
and a warranty can be good but only if it covers the whole fuel system and to the full cost but a suggestion is only get the warranty if you get a problem then wait a few days and make the claim (yes i am a skinflint who has been burnt by a warranty that wasent worth the paper it was written on)
ttfn glenn

·
Registered
Kia Sedona SE 2.9CRDi Auto
58 Posts
Hi, New poster here...

I've been doing my research into buying a 2nd hand sedona, probably about an 03 reg with 50K ish on the clock.
I've come accross a few scary stories about the breaking up delphi diesel pumps causing £4000 worth of fuel system to be replaced. Is there any way to avoid this? For example, some vehicles might have dodgy gearboxes on models registered between two specific dates, or an engine issues on models between two certain VIN numbers?

Any clues? From what I've read it seems to have happened to people accross the range from low mileage 06's to higher mileage 02's. Would a comprehensive after market warranty cover this problem maybe?

Other than this issue I really fancy one for towing my caravan...:)
Hi
It does seem to be a lube problem so I put a drop of eng/oil in my tank. This seems to work for me, but only done 23K since 04.Mind I've heard this problem can strike any make any time. Where they've tried to clean the diesel (emissions etc) it seems it don't lube like it used to. Also I use Millers diesel additive.

Regards John.

·
Registered
07sedona lx 2000 nubira 74 beetle 86 cbr1000 honda 93 harley lowrider 94 trooper 72 scimitar
483 Posts
since you are researching sedona problems i might as well give you a list of regular problems areas to check and the fixes
fuel pump -check for filings in the bottom of fuel filter
air con - mine didnt have air but i believe the problems mainly come from the compressor
sliding doors -bushes at rear of door fail causing the door to droop how to fix it with pictures in the diy section
glow plug light flashes continuosly-wire connecting the heater element broken look at thread titled flashy swirly light another how to with pictures
at 50k you are going to be getting close to cambelt change time so get a new one fitted as part of the deal as the official line is take the engine out to do the job but there are ways around this
rear heater pipes corroding- the pipes carrying water to the rear heater are prone to corrosion (seem to last about 3 years) they run along underneath the right side of the car replace when needed using flexible hose
possible corrosion in the sills - check when buying and give a dosing of waxoyl or similar
some dealers dont seem to give a stuff about customer service - just use another dealer but in some areas they are a bit thin on the ground
this may seem i am painting a rather dark picture of the sedona but we loved our 02 to bits and it served us well so much that we replaced it with an 07
plus there is us nutters here to offer advice and make fun of you
as for towing i only ever pulled a dinky 3x5 trailer mind you it was full of concrete rubble but some members have reported it as a great tow car
ttfn glenn

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks very much for the advice so far.. Nice to see a well used forum with a good knowledge base.

I really fancy one for towing my van and on a caravan forum I use they are VERY highly rated as strong stabls tugs. Some issues do put me off but if I can find a good one it'd be ideal. Thanks for the pointers above, do most of the DIY fixes cost relatively little (like the heater pipes?)
Also, back to the fuel issue, if I test drove / inspected one where would the metal filings be? Would I be able to sneak the sedimenter off and they'd be in there or is it a filter off job????

·
Registered
483 Posts
you wouldnt be able to sneak a peek at the sedimenter as it is attached to the bottom of the fuel filter but with the current state of the market for used car sales just tell them you want a look and they are going to take it off and show you but if they wont just vote with you feet and walk but any decent garage will quite possibly have serviced it before sale so any evidence will be gone but it appears to develop quite rapidly so if its ok just add some lube to the diesel and you should be fine
as to the cost of any repairs if you cant diy then you would have to pay for any work and that ramps up the cost significantly but you can sidestep most problems with a little preventative tlc (a good idea anyway)
make sure the heater pipes are rust free and give them a coat of something to protect them and treat the underside off the car at the same time and pull out the rubber bung at the front of the back arch and give the sills a good gunging and if it hasent already got a bar on the back when you pull the bumper off to fit one gunge the chassis rails
keep the hinges etc on the doors clean and lubricated
top cost for the heater wire would be £5 and that is if you need to buy a electrical crimp kit
the way to look after the air con is to use it at least once a month to keep it all working
when you have found the one you want if it is anywhere near belt change time tell them you want it changed as part of the deal
ttfn glenn
ps another fail that seems to crop up now and again is the uj on the steering column siezing and the fix is to give it a lube now and again to prevent it happening costs pennies and takes a couple of minuets

1 - 6 of 6 Posts