Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento LX AWD 2.4L / Titanium
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2016 LX 2.4L AWD, and am still running the original plugs at 71k miles. The vehicle is starting and running like a champ at this point.

I haven't checked the owner's manual yet for this particular recommended service - but does anyone have any anecdotal info/suggestions/advice based on their own experience?

I was definitely thinking that by 80k would be a good rule-of-thumb, but again - it's running great.

Thanks in advance.

-SM2016

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,640 Posts
100K miles seems to be the benchmark for these vehicles with iridium plugs.
If you're wondering, pick an EASY one and have a look.
I pulled the plugs out of a 3.3L lambda (prev generation, not GDI) at 100,000 miles, and wish I'd just pulled an easy one or two from the front bank first. Could have saved pulling the intake off to reach the rear ones. They looked great. Had a full set of 6 new ones in hand, so went ahead and installed them. Same thing happened to me on my old 2004 3.5L 300M, but those were right on top and dead easy to access, so I was only out the price of the plugs, not my additional labor!

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX L (FWD)
382 Posts
100K miles seems to be the benchmark for these vehicles with iridium plugs.
If you're wondering, pick an EASY one and have a look.
I pulled the plugs out of a 3.3L lambda (prev generation, not GDI) at 100,000 miles, and wish I'd just pulled an easy one or two from the front bank first. Could have saved pulling the intake off to reach the rear ones. They looked great. Had a full set of 6 new ones in hand, so went ahead and installed them. Same thing happened to me on my old 2004 3.5L 300M, but those were right on top and dead easy to access, so I was only out the price of the plugs, not my additional labor!
I decided to follow the maintenance suggestions on my 2005 Toyota 4 Runner at 100K mi and change the plugs. They looked new. Unfortunately one was not tight and there was some blowby. Wish I had at least done a visual inspection much earlier.

·
Registered
Sportage LX AWD 2014, Forte LX+ 2014
693 Posts
I changed mine in 2.4L at 77K km (48K miles) just to ease up load on coils. Coils have to work harder with plugs ageing.
This was early but I tend to do more maintenance and earlier than "required".

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,358 Posts
I changed mine in 2.4L at 77K km (48K miles) just to ease up load on coils. Coils have to work harder with plugs ageing.
This was early but I tend to do more maintenance and earlier than "required".
I'm much the same - I just did a plug change on my 2.7L twin turbo Ford at 65K miles and the gap was exactly at spec 32 thou - Iridium.

The exotic metals used these days allow the plugs to easily last 100K.

I went with NGK's latest Ruthenium HX™ Spark Plugs | NGK Spark Plugs

Reactions: SorentoMan2016

·
Registered
2007 Rondo and 2000 Tacoma
157 Posts
I pulled mine at 84K and 11 years old on my non DGI 2.4 . Because at 11 years I started to worry about seizing threads. I was worried needlessly, everything looked great.

·
Registered
2018 Sorento LX 2.4 FWD; 2009 Borrego LX V6 RWD
205 Posts
I'll be doing mine at 90k.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,130 Posts
I'm much the same - I just did a plug change on my 2.7L twin turbo Ford at 65K miles and the gap was exactly at spec 32 thou - Iridium.

The exotic metals used these days allow the plugs to easily last 100K.

I went with NGK's latest Ruthenium HX™ Spark Plugs | NGK Spark Plugs
So Ron, would you use the Ruthenium plugs in a 2.0L turbo motor? (if they even cross reference....)

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,130 Posts
Nope....no call out for these plugs for the 2.0L turbo motor.....
So again we are stuck paying a kings ransom at the dealership....

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,358 Posts
So Ron, would you use the Ruthenium plugs in a 2.0L turbo motor? (if they even cross reference....)
I would, if there was a cross reference, which for the specific ones that Kia changed to on some models there is no cross reference.

The Ruthenium plugs are made to the same heat range spec as the Platinum and Iridium etc.

For all Kia models that were not subject to the change to an NGK custom made for Kia, I would confidently use any plug found on the cross reference chart.

Reactions: BrianC302

·
Registered
Sportage LX AWD 2014, Forte LX+ 2014
693 Posts
Ru is for sure in all application where they are available, they are about same price as Iridiums but are better plugs.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,640 Posts
Ru is for sure in all application where they are available, they are about same price as Iridiums but are better plugs.
Honestly, a plug that goes 100K miles and still looks like it has a great many miles left on it is quite sufficient for me.
Ruthenium is a LOT cheaper than iridium (Ru is a 'waste' byproduct of a couple of processes. Ir is not) and performs equally well. You can bet NKG will push it since it's cheaper and performs as well as iridium, hence their promotion of the product. A few pennies x millions of product is better for their bottom line, especially if they don't discount the difference.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX 3.3 V6 FWD
8 Posts
Really valuable information here, guys. This is why I subscribe to this forum. Thanks for saving me a lot of time, and maybe money, when the time comes for me to change plugs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts