Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2001 sportage ex 2wd, 2002 Grand prix GTP (for now) 2015 Jetta SE (soon with more boost)
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Im looking into adding some power to my kia down the road. Im trying to decide if i want to fork over more than 3 Gs for a sniper supercharger kit, or if i should just run a custom turbo set up. Its the 2.7 v6

Does anyone have the sniper kit on there sportage? if you do what sort of improvement would i expect to see from a stage 0 or 1. The product description claims id see over 200 WHP in a tiburon I find that unrealistic at best. if you have any experience with this let me know please.

·
Registered
06 Sportage/2012 Navara V6 TD
305 Posts
I have a stage 1 sniper kit fitted to my sportage, with a 3.2" pulley, headers and a 2.5 inch exhaust and aftermarket piggyback chip (Unichip Q).

You will see easy between 20 - 30kW increase. Remenber though, the sportage has greater transmission losses compared to the tiburon as it is also turning a tail shaft and a rear diff, so don't expect 200hp at the wheels. The Tiburons do in fact get close to that number. That being said, the power difference is unreal!! I have posted some dyno results, and there are some photos as well. I think I am at about 119kW at the wheels, or there abouts. The original tune before the blower went on was 85kW after truning with the unichip.
http://www.kia-forums.com/2g-2005-2010-sportage/59628-another-supercharged-sportage-2.html

There are a couple extra things to be aware of. You will have to get the power steering pipe from a tiburon. These are steel which you can bend. The pipe on the sportage is cast alloy, no bending. You will have to move your air intake temp sensor as well. It is also a bit of a bugger sliding the blower into place, because the firewall of the car hangs over the top of the engine a bit. It does fit both left and right hand drive cars, just fiddley to get into place.

If you have the 4WD version (like mine), you can't run the 70mm TB, you are stuck with the OEM version (54mm). This is because the Transmission Control Module (TCM) uses the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) to assist in calculating torque split between front and rear. The bigger Throttle Body allows more in at a lower throttle position, and thus a lower voltage output by the TPS. The TCM detects as being out of range. The car then goes into limp mode. I know, as I have done it.

Lastly, I am thinking of selling mine. So it may be up for grabs soon.

·
Registered
2001 sportage ex 2wd, 2002 Grand prix GTP (for now) 2015 Jetta SE (soon with more boost)
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a stage 1 sniper kit fitted to my sportage, with a 3.2" pulley, headers and a 2.5 inch exhaust and aftermarket piggyback chip (Unichip Q).

You will see easy between 20 - 30kW increase. Remenber though, the sportage has greater transmission losses compared to the tiburon as it is also turning a tail shaft and a rear diff, so don't expect 200hp at the wheels. The Tiburons do in fact get close to that number. That being said, the power difference is unreal!! I have posted some dyno results, and there are some photos as well. I think I am at about 119kW at the wheels, or there abouts. The original tune before the blower went on was 85kW after truning with the unichip.
http://www.kia-forums.com/2g-2005-2010-sportage/59628-another-supercharged-sportage-2.html

There are a couple extra things to be aware of. You will have to get the power steering pipe from a tiburon. These are steel which you can bend. The pipe on the sportage is cast alloy, no bending. You will have to move your air intake temp sensor as well. It is also a bit of a bugger sliding the blower into place, because the firewall of the car hangs over the top of the engine a bit. It does fit both left and right hand drive cars, just fiddley to get into place.

If you have the 4WD version (like mine), you can't run the 70mm TB, you are stick with the OEM version (54mm). This is because the Transmission Control Module (TCM) uses the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) to assist in calculating torque split between front and rear. The bigger Throttle Body allows more in at a lower throttle position, and thus a lower voltage output by the TPS. The TCM detects as being out of range. The car then goes into limp mode. I know, as I have done it.

Lastly, I am thinking of selling mine. So it may be up for grabs soon.

a few questions. bottom line whats your 0-60mph. have you lost any fuel economy? any reliability issues? finally just for fun, can you spin all 4? and yes mine is the awd model.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hi 04lss,

0-60, I have not measured, but it is a lot quicker. The car launches, and you get quite a bit of torque steer. On my way to work, I would go through a roundabout and come out at approx 20 - 30km per hour (12.5 - 19 mph) and then floor it. You really hear the supercharger whine, and within 100 - 150m, I am at over 100km/h (60mph). It happens so quickly.

Fuel economy, I have found that if I stay out of boost, I have actually improved my fuel economy over standard. I have been really happy on long haul trips that I have done. Drive in boost, and you will see the fuel guage drop. Remember though, to make more power, you have to use more fuel. But like I said, out of boost, I got better fuel economy.

Reliability, I have not had one single issue with the engine, drive train or anywhere on the car for that matter. It starts every time I want to drive it. That being said, I did have some teething troubles, but that was a matter of inexperience. For instance, cutting the throttle body gasket to big and exposing some vent holes made the car idle funny. Easily rectified with leaving the TB gasket the correct size. I also had to rebuild my engine as when I got the manifold powder coated, the company that did the work sand blasting it, got sand in the manifold. This destroyed my piston rings. Completely rectified and a new manifold (no sand). The car has not missed a beat since then.

Can I spin all four wheels, not with traction control. It still works. If you turn that off, it will spin the front, but as soon as it does, the car detects slip and engages the rear wheels (i.e. puts it into 4WD mode). Turn this on, and yes, you will spin all four wheels, particularly if the road is a bit damp, or on gravel - but you have to turn off traction control and lock in 4WD mode first.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi 04lss,

0-60, I have not measured, but it is a lot quicker. The car launches, and you get quite a bit of torque steer. On my way to work, I would go through a roundabout and come out at approx 20 - 30km per hour (12.5 - 19 mph) and then floor it. You really hear the supercharger whine, and within 100 - 150m, I am at over 100km/h (60mph). It happens so quickly.

Fuel economy, I have found that if I stay out of boost, I have actually improved my fuel economy over standard. I have been really happy on long haul trips that I have done. Drive in boost, and you will see the fuel guage drop. Remember though, to make more power, you have to use more fuel. But like I said, out of boost, I got better fuel economy.

Reliability, I have not had one single issue with the engine, drive train or anywhere on the car for that matter. It starts every time I want to drive it. That being said, I did have some teething troubles, but that was a matter of inexperience. For instance, cutting the throttle body gasket to big and exposing some vent holes made the car idle funny. Easily rectified with leaving the TB gasket the correct size. I also had to rebuild my engine as when I got the manifold powder coated, the company that did the work sand blasting it, got sand in the manifold. This destroyed my piston rings. Completely rectified and a new manifold (no sand). The car has not missed a beat since then.

Can I spin all four wheels, not with traction control. It still works. If you turn that off, it will spin the front, but as soon as it does, the car detects slip and engages the rear wheels (i.e. puts it into 4WD mode). Turn this on, and yes, you will spin all four wheels, particularly if the road is a bit damp, or on gravel - but you have to turn off traction control and lock in 4WD mode first.
Thanks for the info, Ive been toying with the idea of supercharging my sportage. I have a Monte carlo ss with the supercharged v6. Im not completely new to the FI game, but I am new to the kia/hyundai area. hmm i bet it would help with towing.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Oh yeah, I towed a large trailer with camping gear and quad bikes on it before supercharging. The car did struggle. With the blower, a massive difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts