Kia Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Optima EX, 04 Sebring. 98 Ranger
104 Posts
Funny here in the states the EX with the Luxury package has the TOD and we were told as explained in the sales brochure that the system is an AWD system somewhat to what Ssubaru uses. At start off the system goes into a 50/50 split of power but after reaching second gear in the automatic tranny it reverts back to 90/10 rear drive. When slippage occurs power is transmitted to the wheel slipping either side to side or left to right. On braking down hill there is a surge that occurs in which you fell the tranny and engine work together to brake. This model here in the states does have a switch to electronically engage into 4wd lo at this point the Sorento drives like a tank and goes through our New England snow very capable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sackia, your transfer case is not afected by the this problem. Only ara afected TOD models with ytwo positions (AUTO-4LOW)

Sackia, tu caja transfer no esta afectada por este problema. Solo estan afectados los modelos coin cajas TOD que tienen el mando con dos posiciones AUTO y 4LOW.

Bonito pais Costa Rica.
Un saludo
JUNAV
WWW.clubterracan.net

·
Registered
2008 VW Tiguan (sold my Sorento)
355 Posts
Hi hciaffa

This simply proves something I've been saying about the marketing of this system. People have been "told" all sorts of things (frankly what you've been told is absolute hogwash unless they've made some radical changes since your model !!).

The TOD in AUTO mode is 100% rear wheel drive UNLESS the TOD system detects slippage (various methods to achieve this) and then it transfers a variable amount (up to a 50/50 split) of the torque (power) to the front wheels so creating a 4 wheel drive situation.

In LOW mode it is "supposed" to be "locked" in 4WD (50/50 split) all the time. This is where the current "problem" comes from. It "appears" (this is what the Spanish tested for and had Hyundia agree that there is a problem) that it is NOT locked into 4WD and only goes into 4WD when power is applied (throttle) which means that downhill, using engine braking for speed control (no throttle on) we are driving a 2WD NOT a 4WD.

So, Hyundia (in Spain at least) have accepted there is a problem and are retro-fitting a kit that allows push button selection of 50/50 locked 4WD in both High and Low ratios. Hyundia and Kia (same people) use the same system in the Terracan and Sorento.

Does that make sense ? Hope so.

Cheers

Derek

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey folks,

coming from Sorento-Forum-Germany we read much about the problems with the ATT / TOD - System (Sorento EX).
As we were informed by our spanish friends at sorentoweb they figured out three problems of the ATT
1. problems in Auto-Mode, when you drive in a snowed / slippery bend and lift the accelerator
2. serious problems, when you go down a slippery descent or heavy descent hill and lift the accelerator
3. no real 4wd in rear gear

Some of us already had bad experiences without knowing what the problem came from.
Now we heard that Kia is offering a solution with a new central transfer case (centralita ATT) .
What we want to know is:
What is different in the new central Case ? What did they change? What are the effects ? What are the advantages and disadvantages ?
It would be nice, if all Sorento EX Owners could post, what is going on with this problem in their own country.

·
Registered
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
1,895 Posts
Originally posted by Derek@Sep 27 2005, 10:15 PM
Hi hciaffa

Hyundia and Kia (same people) use the same system in the Terracan and Sorento.

Here's what I *don't* get - just because Hyundai and Kia use a *similar* system, why do people presume that the system programming is identical. I still don't see any real evidence of a Kia problem (and I'm not convinced about Hyundai either).

Regards

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hi guys

There is a problem and it's quite simple, below about 5mph in Low Ratio (probably in "auto" as well but it doesn't matter so much then) the system tends to revert to 2WD, basically if there's no power on, it drops out of 4WD. There is a fix available which involves replacing the TOD control module with one that locks in 4WD even when stationary in Low Ratio.

Hyundia have a different fix that involves an override switch that applies 12 volts direct to the system, so locking it in 4WD (the TOD system applies varying voltage up to 12v to alter the proportion of front / rear drive). The problem with that system is that you can forget that you're locked into 4WD and so do damage to the system.

I think that the TOD system is great for the great majority of people who never do any serious off road work. If however you DO want to use it off road then you're much better off with the other more "basic" system BUT it's not as good "on road" as it doesn't drop into 4WD automatically if you start to slip and slide unexpectedly.

So, overall I think the TOD system is fine as long as you're aware of its limitations (generally it's much better in a power ON than a power OFF situation) and if you ARE going to do any serious off-road work chase up the modified control module to ensure that at least in low ratio (which you'll be in, in serious off-road situations) you're LOCKED into 4WD.

By the way, that LOCKED IN also works for reverse.

Cheers

Derek

·
Registered
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
1,895 Posts
Originally posted by Derek@Jun 8 2006, 12:37 AM

There is a fix available which involves replacing the TOD control module with one that locks in 4WD even when stationary in Low Ratio.

Derek,

I've read through this and the previous thread and don't see anything. Where did you find the info re this available fix? Kia tech bulletin?

Thanks

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hi Gee6

Have sent you an email, if you don't get it email me direct at [email protected]

Cheers

Derek

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have kia sorento 2007 AUTO4*4 (TOD) , i want to stop the tod system and depending on rear axle only ( if you trying to pull out the tccs fuse the abs light will illuminate on this model and above, so its not useful for this model) ,so what can i do to do that , i need your help ,thanks .

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,521 Posts
I have kia sorento 2007 AUTO4*4 (TOD) , i want to stop the tod system and depending on rear axle only ( if you trying to pull out the tccs fuse the abs light will illuminate on this model and above, so its not useful for this model) ,so what can i do to do that , i need your help ,thanks .
You did see that this thread is almost 10 years old?
Do yourself a favor start a NEW thread, a lot more people will see it..

21 - 35 of 35 Posts