Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
'16 Equinox and '17 GTI
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not planning to buy until next year, but Kia has me a little confused. There don't seem to be any 2020s available yet. It's mid October. I understand that there is a major overhaul coming but I'm thinking that will for the 2021 model year. Except there isn't much info on the 2020s. Kia's web sight lets me build a 2020, so that's encouraging. Will the 2020 be a short model year with the 2021s coming mid 2020? I think that there is speculation that the new revision will not have the V6 available. Is that what you folks hear? If the V6 gets dropped then I need what's left with the V6.

Any info that you folks know about the 2020 models will be appreciated.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
896 Posts
The specs and pics for the 2020 are out there in a lot of places, and you've already discovered them on the Kia site. But there aren't any to physically see yet at dealerships (at least not anywhere around here), if that's what you're asking.

Could be the demand for the Telluride has them focusing on that model. At this point, if you want a Telluride, you need to stand in line for one - almost literally. Every unit in this area is already earmarked for a customer when it arrives at the dealership. In our area, all we get is 'coming soon', with a lot of 2019 Sorentos on the lot.

Of interest, the 2020 Santa Fe is available, and the Hyundai Palisade (the sister to the Telluride) hasn't been selling nearly as well as the Telluride, which may explain how they got the 2020 Santa Fe out more quickly.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
315 Posts
The 2020 isn't slated for any big changes, the V6 will be available only in the S and above trim levels which adds about $5,000 to the base price but does include some additional safety features - at least this is the only way to build it on the Kia site.

I think the big redesign was scheduled for 2021 model year but wouldn't be surprised to see the Sorento discontinued by then given the enormous success of the Telluride. Or, if not discontinued, not redesigned and left to die a slow death as sales taper off. If it continues, don't see the V6 going away as they've already killed the turbo, leaving only the base engine which is barely adequate in a FWD version her in the flat desert, unacceptable at altitude with any hills and in the AWD model.

I don't think Kia thought the Telluride would be quite the success it is already. It's caught them unawares, without sufficient factory capacity for the model and likely a much, much better profit model than the Sorento (I don't see incentives on the Telluride coming any time in the near future). From a pure business standpoint, the Sorento is the odd man out IMO so I'd buy now versus waiting for some major redesign that may never come.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento LX AWD 2.4L w/ Convenience Package, 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander SE-AWC
537 Posts
The Sorento won’t be discontinued. People aren’t thinking this through. Every other manufacturer is adding SUVs, hitting all the sizes and niches. The idea that Kia will say “the big one sells great, so to hell with people that don’t want something that big or expensive “ is ludicrous.

The basic LX AWD style is their bread and butter around here. A Telluride is nice, but it’s also thousands more to get an AWD version with heated seats.

I can see the Sorento being marketed as the 5 seat option and people going to Telluride who need more seats.

·
Premium Member
2019 KIA Sorento SX 3.3L GDi V6 - AWD
717 Posts
As others have said above, the 2020 remains virtually unchanged from the 2019 MY (only minor cosmetic changes from the looks of it).

In Canada the available trim levels are:

LX | LX+ | LX+V6 | EX | EX+ | SX

·
Registered
2014 Sorento EX
102 Posts
I'm not planning to buy until next year, but Kia has me a little confused. There don't seem to be any 2020s available yet. It's mid October. I understand that there is a major overhaul coming but I'm thinking that will for the 2021 model year. Except there isn't much info on the 2020s. Kia's web sight lets me build a 2020, so that's encouraging. Will the 2020 be a short model year with the 2021s coming mid 2020? I think that there is speculation that the new revision will not have the V6 available. Is that what you folks hear? If the V6 gets dropped then I need what's left with the V6.

Any info that you folks know about the 2020 models will be appreciated.
Looked at the "build your own" on the website. Going to the "find" section shows several at my local dealer. This is Florida so maybe close enough to the factory to get the first ones. Since they just came out with the Telluride, I imagine they are maximizing production of those for a while. I bought one of the remaining 2019s in early August. I'm glad I did since the 2020 EX only comes with the sunroof which I absolutely do not want. Also drops the the homelink mirror and adds the ugly black 19 inch wheels. So, now I have a year old model but I like it and got a $4000 discount. It really seems as though Kia cut back on Sorento choices for the 2020. There will no doubt be a Sorento in some markets down the road, I'm not so sure about their plans for North America. If I was in charge, I'd keep the Sorento, bring back the two row option and get rid of the Sportage.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SXL AWD
151 Posts
I looked at the Kia site for the build/Sorento 2020 and did not see an SXL option (US). I guess that means they cut out the softer leather seats and a few other minor things the SXL offered? We thought the regular leather seats were too hard, the reason we went up tot eh SXL on the 2019. We bought the 2019 in June 2018 so we wondered why they held off the 2020 so long.

·
Registered
2008 Kia Rondo EX-V6 Lux
4 Posts
I looked at the Kia site for the build/Sorento 2020 and did not see an SXL option (US). I guess that means they cut out the softer leather seats and a few other minor things the SXL offered? We thought the regular leather seats were too hard, the reason we went up tot eh SXL on the 2019. We bought the 2019 in June 2018 so we wondered why they held off the 2020 so long.
I noticed this for Canada as well but it looks like they passed down some of the features to the lower trims, the SX has "premium" leather seats as opposed to just leather seats on the lower models. Not sure if that is still Nappa or not though. Same with the tech/safety features that were only on the SXL are now available on the top 2-3 trims with a few still exclusive to the SX. Which just means that I could have gotten the majority of the features I have now for a few thousand less if I would have waited a few months, but then again if I would have waited I probably would have gotten a Stinger lol. They dropped quite a bit in price up here.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento
38 Posts
What's funny is our local dealer has been calling us trying to get us to trade out 17 ex in on a 2020 Sorento. They only want to give us 10K for a car with only 20K on it so uh no no but hell no.

They are only building around 40K Tellurides this year so that isn't having much impact.

A friends bought a pallisade for his fiancee. It's nice but that massive grill is hideous, looks like a fish with it's mouth wide open going 80mph down the freeway. The dealers here have those on the lots but the Telluride is a wait in line and pay sticker price or a premium to get it.
I'm not sure on it for us. I would like a little bigger than the Sorento and what I would really like is more towing capacity but with the Telluride having basically the same power as the Sorento I'm not impressed. They will have to do something powertrain wise in the next couple years after they get the bugs worked out. I would never buy a first year car with the exception of a C8 if I could afford one...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I searching for a new Sorento and saw some leaked photos of the 2021 Sorento. It has a new slightly more masculine body style and appears to be moving more towards the Telluride style. You can see the spy shots on Youtube.The thought is it will be powered by a 2.4 liter engine and a 2liter turbo.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento
38 Posts
I searching for a new Sorento and saw some leaked photos of the 2021 Sorento. It has a new slightly more masculine body style and appears to be moving more towards the Telluride style. You can see the spy shots on Youtube.The thought is it will be powered by a 2.4 liter engine and a 2liter turbo.
The diesel most likely won't make it to the US.... It should have been here this year as they already had it approved then pulled out because they didn't want their service division train and stock parts etc for yet another engine.

If they drop the V6 then they will alienate a whole lot of customers possibly in the effort of pushing them into buying a Telluride. But the rumor is that the 3.8 will end up in the Sorento which makes sense. I would drop the 3.3 all together and just go with the 3.8 for the V6 in everything since it has the same power output as the 3.3.
I really hope they don't try going with a turbo 4 again as it didn't go well for them last time. I have driven the Santa Fe sport with the 4cyl and it's a dog to drive. I also drove a turbo 4 sorento and wasn't impressed.

I do like the looks of the 21 sorento and from the pictures I have seen it has kept the better looking rear end. The Telluride has those goofy looking parenthesis brake lights (I like it other than that part)

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX - Caribbean Blue
8,513 Posts
They are only building around 40K Tellurides this year so that isn't having much impact.
production of the Telluride started in February this year and as of the end of September they have built 48,397 units, Sorento production Jan-Sept is 77,013

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SXL AWD in negotiation yet...
71 Posts
there are plenty of 2020 models on the lots here in calgary at least! I was looking for specific 2019 which is hard to find right now with brown interior, but 2020 all in black are every where! Kia will continue production new 2021 sorento, the model is already in production in Korea, you can get videos on korean youtube. Quite really interesting model...thinking I will trade in my wifes 16 tuscon on 2021 sorento....LOL

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX Turbo AWD (sold)
772 Posts
The 2.0 turbo and 2.4 and 3.3 V6 are being discontinued. A new Theta III 2.5 and 2.5 turbo and will be replacing them eventually. They are expected to be introduced in the new Genesis SUV's (along with a twin turbo 3.8) first and then in the remaining KIA/Hyundai lineup. From what I've been reading they are having pre-production certification issues with them.
My guess is the next generation Sorentos will no longer have a V6 option. 2.5 turbo will be the top option.

Theta III engines

·
Registered
'16 Equinox and '17 GTI
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The 2.0 turbo and 2.4 and 3.3 V6 are being discontinued. A new Theta III 2.5 and 2.5 turbo and will be replacing them eventually. They are expected to be introduced in the new Genesis SUV's (along with a twin turbo 3.8) first and then in the remaining KIA/Hyundai lineup. From what I've been reading they are having pre-production certification issues with them.
My guess is the next generation Sorentos will no longer have a V6 option. 2.5 turbo will be the top option.

Theta III engines
That's what I was hearing but wanted to know if others were hearing similar rumblings. I really want the V6 when I get mine so I'll need to keep an eye out for the 2021s arrival and then grab a '20 with the V6 before they're gone. I'm interested in the 'S' version. I don't particularly need black wheels but it makes it look a little sportier. Also the 'S' doesn't have the sun/moon roof which I don't need. No moon roof, no leaks or squeaks.

Looking forward to getting one in 2020.

·
Registered
Sorento V6 LX AWD 2019
24 Posts

1. That's what I was hearing but wanted to know if others were hearing similar rumblings. I really want the V6 when I get mine so I'll need to keep an eye out for the 2021s arrival and then grab a '20 with the V6 before they're gone. I'm interested in the 'S' version. I don't particularly need black wheels but it makes it look a little sportier. Also the 'S' doesn't have the sun/moon roof which I don't need. No moon roof, no leaks or squeaks.

Looking forward to getting one in 2020.
    I would think twice before going with the V6, I find it disappointing, it needs a lot of revs and that results in it typically being unresponsive. A new 2 or 2.5 turbo is probably better. My honda 1.5 T is much more responsive than my Kia V6

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX Turbo AWD (sold)
772 Posts

1. I would think twice before going with the V6, I find it disappointing, it needs a lot of revs and that results in it typically being unresponsive. A new 2 or 2.5 turbo is probably better. My honda 1.5 T is much more responsive than my Kia V6
I would take a V6 Sorento all day every day over a Honda 1.5 turbo. It's able to generate some heat in cold weather and doesn't contaminate the crank case with raw gas at an extreme rate resulting in the need for weekly oil changes LOL!
Hondas are so over rated IMHO.

Honda 1.5 turbo problems
Honda 1.5 Turbo Oil Dillution problems
What's Going On With Honda Turbo Motors?

·
Registered
'16 Equinox and '17 GTI
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Granted, I don't own a Sorento yet, but I did test drive the V6 twice now and loved it. I didn't drive 'like I stole it'. I sort of applied the 'do unto others' philosophy. It was a brand new engine and hadn't been broken in yet, so I drove it like it was my own brand new engine. Anyway, I thought it performed fine for what I did. It doesn't have gobs of torque but it does have 290 hp. I think it would be just fine for my usage. I was actually most impressed with that smooth V6. I'm not racing anybody, but I do need some get-up-and-go when entering the interstate and passing.

What has me concerned now is the thread about the transmission. I didn't notice any problems on my test drives but that was two drives at roughly 15 minutes apiece. Not a lot of experience. The one fellow did say that using non-ethanol fuel cleared up his problem, which makes it more of an engine issue than transmission issue. I've got time on my side so I'll follow the transmission thread and see how that shakes out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts