1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento SX 3.3L AWD 3 Row CURT 6K
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

For a 2014 the car looks really good.

However, the chrome wheels are the exception.

How could a car that looks otherwise well maintained have such crappy looking wheels?

Could this be a Kia issue, or is there something else here at play?

Thank you for your input.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hi,

For a 2014 the car looks really good.

However, the chrome wheels are the exception.

How could a car that looks otherwise well maintained have such crappy looking wheels?

Could this be a Kia issue, or is there something else here at play?

Thank you for your input.

View attachment 116415 View attachment 116416
Same thing is starting to happen on my 14 sorento and optima although not as bad as you. Your not alone. I have seen others a lot worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento SX 3.3L AWD 3 Row CURT 6K
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Ivan.

Thank you for sharing.

The car had two owners prior. According to Carfax they both serviced the car at the King of Prussia, PA Kia dealership.

Accordingly to the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation they do salt the roads - Winter Operations

I would agree w you. It sure looks like corrosion.

The question is therefore, I could this happen? It comes across as UNDER-engineering on Kia's side. Some US states do use salt. Shouldn't Kia engineers have accounted for that? In a way that's what I was suggesting in terms of "something else at play". However, given that both drivers maintained the car at the SAME Kia dealer, and the car looks amazing otherwise, it would point to a structural issue.

Given that you have some experience, do you have any suggestion to what I should do next?

Thank you.

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,095 Posts
What I suspect happened is that the previous owners did not clean the road grime and salt solution off in a timely manner, and all corrosion resistant coatings have their limits.

·
Registered
2009 kia rondo
77 Posts
It's not Kia's fault if the owners don't wash their cars in winter. That center cap can be replaced easily.

My local carwash charges$25/ month unlimited washes. I just sign up in the winter for two or three months, and stop in after work. Anyone the out the saline solution on the roads, you definitely need it. Same for Rock salt, or anytime it rains on a previously salted road. Living in north nj, I consider it part of the deal.

Also make sure your car has the winter package from the factory, full undercoat, e.t.c meant for the northeast and salted roads.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.