Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Sorento EX V6 AWD, RIP 2003 Sorento EX 3.5L
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all Kia members,

Any good KIA dealership mechanics in NYC area?

I was wondering if anyone in NYC area knows a good Kia mechanic because in my area (Brooklyn & Staten Island, NY), one I will never go back to unless it is an emergency and the other is not much better in service and much further away.

They will never, ever give a loaner while my car is worked on.

They state the noise\kick in tranny I feel when starting to drive after a somewhat sharp stop is normal. I have been driving different cars for 26 years and this is the first car that has some type of HIT or KICK in the tranny and has been doing it since day one when I drove it out of dealership when purchased it brand new.

The dome light not turning ON when the doors are opened, Kia mechanic said he needs to and I quote “I need to remove your interior roof panel and run a new cable from the bulb to the switch”. You got to be kidding me right? I followed instructions on this Forum on how to replace a bad diode for a price of .60 cents and 10 minutes of my time and the dome light issue was resolved. It’s not the .60 cents but the fact that the mechanic had no clue on what needed to be fixed.

The examples above are just some of many other similar situations I experienced with Kia Dealership Mechanics, just seems like they don’t really know how the car is built.

I would love to purchase another a new Kia in a year or two but knowing the headaches which I went thru in the 9 years with Kia dealership mechanics in my area I am not so sure I would buy another Kia.

So if anyone knows of a good Kia Dealership Mechanics please let me know.

Thank you,

·
Registered
03'VW Passat - mine | 03'Sorento EX 4X4 - hers
234 Posts
Vadim, my advice to you - run and never go back to that dealeship again if they don't know the fix for dome light. HIT or KICK after sharp stop is that driveshaft binds a bit because geometry of suspension changes with nose dive. There are several grease zerks on rear driveshaft for lubricating bearings and splines(where binding occurs). I can not recommend you any dealership as I'm mostly DIY, unless KIA computer has to be used and for that I visit our near dealership in West Nyack, NY, but that's far away from where you live. Hopefully someone will chime in regarding dearship suggestion.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vadim, my advice to you - run and never go back to that dealeship again if they don't know the fix for dome light. HIT or KICK after sharp stop is that driveshaft binds a bit because geometry of suspension changes with nose dive. There are several grease zerks on rear driveshaft for lubricating bearings and splines(where binding occurs). I can not recommend you any dealership as I'm mostly DIY, unless KIA computer has to be used and for that I visit our near dealership in West Nyack, NY, but that's far away from where you live. Hopefully someone will chime in regarding dearship suggestion.

Thank you Maksik,

I like Kia Sorento's and would love to get the 2013 or 2014 model but not if the after sale service is bad :eek: and it is where I live.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento 3.5 5sp Auto
267 Posts
Ask some other car brand owners (that kinda know something about cars) how they rate their dealership mechanics.
I think all car dealership mechanics are getting worse, and worse. They simply dont troubleshoot properly anymore and just swap parts out till its fixed. And the service managers are just as bad saying things like, ohh, that. Yeah that is normal under these conditions..

I dont think it would just be your kia dealers, chances are its the rest of them too.
I think the kids come out of school, and get accepted into the dealers, where they do little more than change the oil and spark plugs occasionally.
So they have no one to teach them how to troubleshoot, or they simply don't care.

My BMW mech (all bmw trained technicians apparently) wanted to change me 2500 for parts for an ABS module. (happened after i drove through a flooded area) i asked to talk to the mech, saying this doesn't add up, and said it has to be the sensors at the wheels.
Forced him to troubleshoot it in front of me as was telling him what to do. What do you know after 30 minutes, he came back and said its the wheel speed sensors, and they were only $80 each!
Basically its not their money, so they are happy to recommend expensive possible fixes.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you RandomBob,

I almost agree 100%, but some of my friends who own more expensive cars Lexus, BMW.....get a loaner without even asking for one and the overall treatment of the customer is better as per their say.

As far as others go like Kia, Toyota..... Most likely all same as my experience unfortunately.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts