Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento LX
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I currently own a 2013 Kia Sorento (with convience package). The SUV has the UVO entertainment system with built-in rear view camera.

I am exploring to check if installation of GPS+DVD system is worth it. I looked at some of the KIA aftermarket systems and found below:

KIA SORENTO Radio DVD GPS Navigation Stereo Headunit Autoradio KIA SORENTO CAR DVD GPS NAVIGATION [OCG-5055] - $638.00 : Oemcargps - Oem Fit Aftermarket Car GPS Navigation Headunit for All Car Make Wholesale.

ETO HD CAR DVD GPS RADIO RDS NAVI Headunit Autoradio For KIA SORENTO 2010-2013 | eBay

Kia Sorento Gps Navigation System | 7 Inch Touch Screen Monitor | Car Dvd Player For 2009-2012 Kia Sorento

The advantage of KIA aftermarket is they fit easily into the slot and hopeing installation might be easy. Wanted to hear if anyone had experience with similar install ?

Thanks

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento LX V6
52 Posts
I would be careful with your selection as very few of the cheaper units can connect back to the factory usb and aux inputs. Some also require a seperate adapter to reconnect the steering wheel controls. There are also some that will not work with the satellite radio.

This is the one I used for a friend: Kia Sorento Genuine navigation system, Latest Version-Affordable Price

and it has worked very well. I am going to order one for my 2012 LX soon.

They do not have one to replace the UVO head unit yet, but it is coming soon.

My recommendation would be to call the manufacturer of each unit and make sure it is fully compatible with your existing setup.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento LX
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi

Thanks for the reply, this one might not work for me as i have a UVO system and this specific one does is not compatible (Important note: Not available for models with the Microsoft UVO package).

Based on your experience, is the installation of this unit easy or you had to go with a professional installation.

Thanks

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Why put yourself through all the grief? Just get a nice smartphone and allow it to do your NAV while connecting to your UVO system with bluetooth. It's painless and the nav data is continuously updated. It's got the added benefit that you can take your "nav system" with you wherever you go (including other cars) and you're likely already paying for cell phone service anyway.

I've been very pleased with how my Samsung Galaxy SII (android phone) integrates with UVO. I typically stream audio from the phone or play from USB. The NAV voice commands seamlessly chime in during the music and both are pre-empted by incoming/outgoing calls...and continue once the call is over. It just plain works.

Best,

·
Registered
2011 Titanium Sorento SX - 39,000 miles since 03/2011
106 Posts
I have to agree wih Sauron. The OEM GPS leaves much to be desired, for many reasonS.

As such, I use that built in screen in my SX primarily for backup camera, radio control, and Bluetooth management.

For GPS, I am currently using a Galaxy Nexus and OEM Nexus car mount for GPS function. I have not found anything better than Google Navigtion which utilizes Google maps, and GPS, Internet access, AND traffic services. The Kia did not ever factor in traffic to the arrival time even though I was paying a monthly fee to Sirius, and had all appropriate options selection in the GPS options.

I actually am in process of ordering a Nexus 7 inch tablet and car mount, which I will connect to my phones wireless hotspot for internet access, and he tablet itself has a GPS receiver built in. I think this will be a pretty sweet option.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
I actually am in process of ordering a Nexus 7 inch tablet and car mount, which I will connect to my phones wireless hotspot for internet access, and he tablet itself has a GPS receiver built in. I think this will be a pretty sweet option.
Heh, I've actually been considering doing the same. For something bigger than a standard phone, but smaller than the 7" tablet, there's also the Galaxy Note.

Best,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts