Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm quite pleased with the Sorento SX and after 17 months of ownership it has not given any problems (aside from a sticking door handle.. twice), but what are the thoughts in overall longevity of the Sorento?

Are any of you concerned about its reliability after the warranty expires? I hardly see any older KIAs on the road, let along an older model Sorento (2 older Sorentos spotted in the last month) and even though it has not given me any issues, I am a tad concerned about its reliability 5 years from now (we plan on keeping long term, it'll be paid off in 2 years).

Thoughts?

·
Registered
Carnival EX Limited
83 Posts
The reason you don't see any older Kia's on the road is that up until about 8 years ago Kia made rubbish that nobody in their right mind would buy.

You've had 2 minor probs in 17 months, I think you should be confident in your car's longevity.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento, Suzuki V-Strom
506 Posts
Hyundai bought a majority interest in Kia in 1998.

Hyundai is the third largest chaebol (conglomerate) in Korea; Samsung is #1, LG #2.

Years ago I took a ship into the Hyundai Mipo dockyard for drydocking and repair. This was a shipyard mainly for repairs and conversions. The huge Hyundai Heavy Industries shipyard was nearby. In the nearby town of Ulsan Hyundai also owned the hotel. The welding rod was Hyundai. The welding machines were Hyundai. I asked if all were the same company, and the response was, "Different companies, same owner."

Hyundai is huge, proud, determined. I tend to trust them.
(Say HOON-dye, not hun-DAY)

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
The reliability seems to be pretty good. I've had one issue (faulty throttle actuator) in my first year that the local dealer replaced under warranty.

My only peeve is the dodgy/clunky interface of the UVO infotainment system (but that's Microsoft's fault).

Best,

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Only long-term experience has been with a KIA-manufactured Ford Festiva (Mazda design). we had it for 14 years and 120,000 km with no troubles at all. Needed some work when transferring to another owner, but it was only basic maintenance up to then.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sorento SX Regency Red, 2012 Kia Sorento SX, 2011 Toyota Hiace
584 Posts
8 months of owning my SX and i had experience quite a few, albeit minor problems.

IMO, you mustn't be worried with long-term reliablity of your car as long as you maintain it in tiptop shape. Changing of oil and other maintanance isn't just enough. Love your car and take care of it and it will love you back.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX 2.4 GDI
171 Posts
I use the warranties as judgment points...if I have concerns at those milestones...I will sell it/trade it in...If it causes me major issues before/between, I will then sell/trade it in. I fully expect no such problems though

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had my 2011 EX V6 since March 2010 and the only issues i've had are cosmetic. A rattle here or there that the dealer fixed, the sunroof had a funky bind/vibration the dealer also took care of. I've now got 45k miles on it and its great. Unless i start getting major issues ill keep this one for quite a while.

·
Premium Member
2011 Kia Sorento, 08 Toyota Tundra, 1956 VW Manx buggy, 1958 VW rail
49 Posts
bad upside down oil filter

the only longivity problem is the FACT that the oil drains out of the oil filter on every shut down and it takes 5 to 20 seconds to fill it back up and send oil pressure to the timing chain tensioner and the main & rod bearings. kia needs to fix this problem on all new kia cars and do a recall to relocate the oil filter on all up side oil filter cars!!!!!

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
the only longivity problem is the FACT that the oil drains out of the oil filter on every shut down and it takes 5 to 20 seconds to fill it back up and send oil pressure to the timing chain tensioner and the main & rod bearings. kia needs to fix this problem on all new kia cars and do a recall to relocate the oil filter on all up side oil filter cars!!!!!
*yawn*

I guess BMW needs to recall too...and a bunch of GM 4-bangers. There's nothing inherently wrong with that design. While I don't doubt that some folks are not imagining things, I have yet to hear it in mine...nor do I think a few seconds for the followers to pump-up is a problem even if/when it does happen. Use quality oil, change it regularly, and buy the factory filter.

Both times I changed my oil, I found about an inch or two of oil in the filter assembly when I pulled out the element.

Oh...lest I forget !!!!!!!!! Wow, now I feel better. lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
Some problems, but still generally happy

2011 Kia Sorento Owner Review
Despite the issues below, I'm still generally happy with my 2011 Sorento, and will consider a newer, improved model.

Purchased in late 2011 as a demonstrator with approximately 13,500 miles on odometer; it now has 51,500. This is an SX model, V-6 with AWD. About the only options not included are automatic adjustable rear-view mirror, leather, and roof rack. I had the dealer install a tow hitch.
Issues:
 Brake light interface switch malfunction, causing keyless ignition to not work; replaced under warranty; later this was a recall item and it was replaced a second time, but was not malfunctioning at the time.
 Rear strut noise; the struts were making a clunking noise when the car hit rough pavement; replaced under warranty.
 Front shock tower dust covers – added under warranty.
 Chrome wheel finish; the chrome-looking finish on one of the eight-spoke wheels (looks like some sort of plastic coating) began to de-laminate; wheel replaced. Now the same is beginning to show on a second wheel.
 Sun/moon roof interior shades gradually work their way open and have to be shut tight.
 Clear coat; a silver dollar sized spot is de-laminating on the hood; this item is being reviewed for warranty repair.
 Back-up camera; the screen image has become very blurry over time; apparently this is due to a faulty lens cover (in back bumper); under warranty review
 Air conditioner noise; the A/C works fine, although it is a little slow to get cool at times (occasionally have to flip the settings back and forth in order for it to put out cold air); however, the system has a low-frequency mechanical whirring noise that is noticeable at idle (ie: when little ambient noise is present), and very noticeable when the car is shut off (then you realize how loud it really is). In other words, road noise and other interior sounds (radio, people talking, etc) cover it up, but it adds to the overall noise level when operating the car.
I find the car drives well, if a bit harsh. It pulls my 2600 lb boat/trailer OK, but I only use this once or twice a year and for very short distances. Great for road trips; never driven in snow. The seats are quite firm, which I like, but I wish the driver’s seat would slide farther back. The car is stable on the highway, has plenty of power, and gets decent gas mileage. The local dealer (Dean McCrary, Mobile, AL) has provided excellent after-sales service.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento Ex V6
295 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Sedona EX - Premium Package w/ 61k miles
742 Posts
I have the same concern here. After 4 years, I had a few issues like temperature sensor of transmission which already replaced by the dealer and petty recalls. Other than that, it serves me good. It has 62k now and maybe I will hold yet open for good opportunities along the way until the warranty expires. If I sell or replaces at early age, maybe I couldn't prove that this car is pretty reliable. Well see...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts