Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Sorento LX
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I'm having an issue already with my 2013 Sorento. It started last week when I backed out of my garage. There was wet spot on the garage floor that seemed strange to me. Living in Arizona, I am used to A/C condensation dripping, but there was a second puddle....farther back, and more toward the driver's side. Upon investigation, this second puddle smelled like antifreeze. I am no mechanic, but when I looked under the hood, the antifreeze was between L and F in the holder. So I called the dealer, and they scheduled an appointment. Well today when I was leaving Albertsons I had the A/C on full blast, and the overwhelming smell of antifreeze filled the car. I rolled the window down to vent it out as I drove home. When I got home the carpet on the passenger side was damp and reeked of antifreeze. I didn't notice any difference in the coolant level in the holder when I got home. What is going on with my car? It is a 2013 LX with just over 1,300 miles on it. Is it safe to drive it to the dealer for my appointment on Wednesday? I am a little bit disappointed, as this is my first new car in almost 30 years, and after meticulously caring for my previous two cars and not having any issues, I'm scared I may continue to have problems with this car? What could the problem even be? Thank you for any replies.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
It sounds to me like a heater core issue. If you are afraid to drive it, you could call Kia Roadside and have it towed to the dealer. Probably just a bad part from the factory. Warranty should cover it.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I know how you feel. You pay $XXXXX for a new car and you expect it to be right. But no reason why the rest of the car will be unreliable.

Your problem is almost certainly a leaking heater as GregsKia suggets, and it will be easlily fixed (But check for fit and finish of the dash and verify that other controls/gauges are working after the fix). I'd be a bit worried about the coolant smell in your new car, and if the dealer will address this. Coolant is not toxic unless you drink it, but you wouldn't want to keep smelling it inside the car. Check for fit of cleaned/new carpet.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento LX
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I drove the Sorento to the dealer for my appointment this morning. After an hour in the shop, they told me that the heater core outlet pipe had a hairline crack in it from where the heater hose connects in the engine bay, all the way down to the core body itself. When I asked what would cause this they told me it was most likely a defect in the manufacturing process of the heater core, and was nothing I personally could have caused. Apparently this is a part they had to order and is on "national back-order"? I obviously can't drive the car, and the dealer refuses to provide me a loaner. I don't drive very much, but I just paid over $20,000 for a vehicle that is going to be sitting at the dealer for an indefinate period of time? I was not offered anything in terms of compensation from the dealer. Does anyone have any suggestions? It cost me almost $40 in cab fare to get home from the dealer. Not very happy, and starting to regret my purchase

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
That is totally not cool. For a defective part that causes you to not be able to drive the vehicle, you must DEMAND a loaner. That is unacceptable. I got a loaner when my Sorento had a small oil leak. Call Kia corp and let them know whats going on.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento LX 4cyl, 2013 Veloster Turbo
14 Posts
Wow - I would have sworn they had to provide a rental if it is in for a warranty issue like that. Have you tried calling another local Kia dealer to get their take on that? I would call Kia as well. That is bogus.

·
Registered
KIA Sportage 4WD (Diesel), KIA Sorento 2013 SX
22 Posts
OT question.. would other dealer really entertain/accommodate you, knowing you didn't purchase the car from them? what is their benefit of having you if in case?

·
Registered
2013 Sorento LX
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you everyone for your responses. I will be calling Kia corporate first thing in the morning. I think the dealer might be taking advantage of me, being a somewhat elderly person. Not sure what Arizona law is on warranty and loaner cars. Hopefully someone at Kia corporate will be able to figure it out and direct me in the correct path to go from here. So far I've been a little bit dissatisfied with the whole process of buying this vehicle. The Sorento was the only modern vehicle that caught my attention with its feature to value ratio and great ride height and handling. Every dealer in this area has me a little bit turned off after giving me low offers on my trade. The dealer I bought it from gave me the most for my trade, and it was the closest to my house, so I made the deal. I love the car so far, but I don't want future problems. This is a retirement vehicle for myself and my wife, and the last vehicle we plan to purchase. I will keep everyone informed as to what is happening when I know more.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I'm sure it will treat you great once this is sorted out. Seems like a fluke manufacturers defect. Still unacceptable that you had to pay for a cab and are being denied a loaner. Let us know how the phone call goes.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
768 Posts
If it's on national back order, it will be unavailable for a while. Yes, they should provide a loaner or cover the cost for a rental. Have them refund the cab cost too.

What does the US warranty say about these situations?

·
Registered
2013 Sorento LX
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I spoke with a Kia rep today, and they gave me a case number. About an hour later I got a call back. After describing my situation, they assured me that the dealer should be providing me either a loaner vehicle or a rental vehicle. After speaking to the dealership manager, he apologized, and agreed to reimburse my cab fare. Since I purchased my vehicle with cash, and do not have a payment, Kia is sending me a pre-loaded credit card for the inconvenience. My case got escalated, and someone said something about pulling a part off the assembly line? I don't know what that meant. I was pleasantly surprised about how smoothly the whole process went, and the customer service rep was extremely friendly and helpful. While I am still annoyed about having vehicle troubles so early on, Kia has done quite a lot to compensate me and try to make it right.

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra,2008 Impala LT
98 Posts
What the dealership initally did to you was not right and a more experianced buyer surely would have not called a cab before talking to management or Kia directly.Things like this simply should not happen.Hope they gave you a descent loaner as replacement parts seem to take way too long acoming for these Kias.Personally I would demand the carpet to be replaced!

·
Registered
2013 Sorento LX
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got my Sorento back today, all seems to be well. The rental car process went well, My rental car was a Kia, too, surprisingly. My main complaint now is that the interior still reeks of antifreeze, and it gets worse when I turn on the A/C. I don't think they cleaned up the carpet. Is this issue something I should ask the dealer to fix, or should I call Kia corporate again? I don't want to be gagging every time I drive my vehicle.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento SX, 2003 Honda S2000
183 Posts
Take it back to the dealership, ask to speak directly to the service manager and explain the problem so far, and the continuing problem. If he doesn't take care of you then call Kia Corporate and ask that your case be elevated to a Customer Care representative. Be Persistent. Good luck.

·
Registered
Cerato
692 Posts
Ask them for a new car or suggest that the manager lend you his car for the duration. The smell problem would be totally predictable.

The Sorrento is supposed to be somewhat of a prestige vehicle. Standard of service says otherwise.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Unbelievable. Do what everyone is suggesting here. I find it disgusting that a dealership would return a vehicle that knowingly had coolant all over the carpet and be okay with that.

Sick and Tired of seeing people getting treated like crap from Kia dealers, myself personally too.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Your problem is almost certainly a leaking heater as GregsKia suggests, and it will be easily fixed (But check for fit and finish of the dash and verify that other controls/gauges are working after the fix). I'd be a bit worried about the coolant smell in your new car, and if the dealer will address this. Coolant is not toxic unless you drink it, but you wouldn't want to keep smelling it inside the car. Check for fit of cleaned/new carpet.
Repeating this for your convenience.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento LX
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Spoke with the general manager at the dealership today. He tried to guilt me saying they had already covered my rental car expense, and "storage" of my vehicle while waiting for the part. Called Kia corporate, lady said dealer's behavior is unacceptable, and not up to Kia's standard's. They escalated my case, she said I should certainly get a new carpet out of the deal. Driving my car with 1300 miles on it shouldn't make me feel sick. No only that, there is a visual stain on the carpet where it was wet. Also looks like they took a rubber mallet to the dash panels. They are scuffed up around the edges. I asked if I could take it to a different dealer. I m suposed to be getting a call tomorrow, will see how that goes. It's a good thing I'm retired, or I wouldn't have time for all of this. On the bright side, it's keeping me plenty busy.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts